IGNORED

Who is the best, the greatest, player, we ever sold?

By this I mean, who went from us to the highest level in football? Higher than any other player we've ever sold. If Lloyd had gone to Liverpool and into their team in August, he would be the best/greatest. Now it's "only" Bournemouth, who has gone higher directly from us? Going to a "great" club - Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc - could be part of the debate, although we seldom sell anyone to that lot (nowadays, or years ago).

Andy Cole: he went to second division Newcastle from here, then later on performed at a very high level. Goater to Man City when they were turd (and lower than us).

I'm wondering if Ralph Milne might be a shout. He went to Man Utd - a good start - in November '88. They had finished 2nd the previous season, but were midtable in November '88. Who have we sold to anyone as "stellar" and/or higher in the top flight?

We don't and never did sell many, or enough, to top class clubs, so Lloyd going to the Prem might be another indication of "progress" and us getting things right. Better than selling to rivals at this level, certainly. 

Rovers, by the way, sold Micky Tanner to Liverpool  and he lifted the European Cup there four times, I think?

3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

By this I mean, who went from us to the highest level in football? Higher than any other player we've ever sold. If Lloyd had gone to Liverpool and into their team in August, he would be the best/greatest. Now it's "only" Bournemouth, who has gone higher directly from us? Going to a "great" club - Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc - could be part of the debate, although we seldom sell anyone to that lot (nowadays, or years ago).

Andy Cole: he went to second division Newcastle from here, then later on performed at a very high level. Goater to Man City when they were turd (and lower than us).

I'm wondering if Ralph Milne might be a shout. He went to Man Utd - a good start - in November '88. They had finished 2nd the previous season, but were midtable in November '88. Who have we sold to anyone as "stellar" and/or higher in the top flight?

We don't and never did sell many, or enough, to top class clubs, so Lloyd going to the Prem might be another indication of "progress" and us getting things right. Better than selling to rivals at this level, certainly. 

Rovers, by the way, sold Micky Tanner to Liverpool  and he lifted the European Cup there four times, I think?

very wrong that last sentence...…..

I thought Gerry Gow but Manchester City were only 11th at the time, unrelated but crazy to think how far some of these teams have fallen.

P   W  D  L   F   A   W  D  L   F   A  Pts
 1. ASTON VILLA              42  16  3  2  40  13  10  5  6  32  27   60 .    Championship
 2. Ipswich Town             42  15  4  2  45  14   8  6  7  32  29   56 .    League One
 3. Arsenal                  42  13  8  0  36  17   6  7  8  25  28   53 .    Premiership
 4. West Bromwich Albion     42  15  4  2  40  15   5  8  8  20  27   52 .    Championship
 5. Liverpool                42  13  5  3  38  15   4 12  5  24  27   51 .    Premiership
 6. Southampton              42  15  4  2  47  22   5  6 10  29  34   50 .    Premiership
 7. Nottingham Forest        42  15  3  3  44  20   4  9  8  18  24   50 .    Championship
 8. Manchester United        42   9 11  1  30  14   6  7  8  21  22   48 .    Premiership  
 9. Leeds United             42  10  5  6  19  19   7  5  9  20  28   44 .    Championship
10. Tottenham Hotspur        42   9  9  3  44  31   5  6 10  26  37   43 .    Premiership
11. Stoke City               42   8  9  4  31  23   4  9  8  20  37   42 .    Championship
12. Manchester City          42  10  7  4  35  25   4  4 13  21  34   39 .    Premiership
13. Birmingham City          42  11  5  5  32  23   2  7 12  18  38   38 .    Championship
14. Middlesbrough            42  14  4  3  38  16   2  1 18  15  45   37 .    Championship
15. Everton                  42   8  6  7  32  25   5  4 12  23  33   36 .    Premiership
16. Coventry City            42   9  6  6  31  30   4  4 13  17  38   36 .    League One
17. Sunderland               42  10  4  7  32  19   4  3 14  20  34   35 .    League One
18. Wolverhampton Wanderers  42  11  2  8  26  20   2  7 12  17  35   35 .    Premiership (Just)
19. Brighton & Hove Albion   42  10  3  8  30  26   4  4 13  24  41   35 .    Premiership (Just)
20. NORWICH CITY             42   9  7  5  34  25   4  0 17  15  48   33 .    Premiership (Just)
21. LEICESTER CITY           42   7  5  9  20  23   6  1 14  20  44   32 .    Premiership
22. CRYSTAL PALACE           42   6  4 11  32  37   0  3 18  15  46   19 .    Premiership

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Try zero times.

8 minutes ago, WSMRobin said:

Andy cole, champions league winner

He went to Newcastle, from here. Don't remember Newcastle winning the Champions League, mate. We were in the same division as Newcastle when we sold him, too.

You haven't read my op properly, or I haven't explained myself properly/clearly enough. 

Otherwise, some good shouts: Gerry Gow, Chris Garland. Did Chris go straight into their team?

28 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It was Nick Tanner.........Micky Tanner was I think a local league player who was signed by us and had a couple of games for us then disappeared during the Terry Cooper years when were scratching around for players.

Andy Cole - scored 12 goals in 12 games as Newcastle won the 'Div One' title and promotion, and then scored 34 goals (41 in all competitions) in his first Premier League season breaking a record that for a Newcastle striker that had stood for 70 years and helping them qualify for the UEFA cup ... he then went on to Man Utd and success and played for England. The best player I ever saw play for City (I'm not old enough for Atyeo).

12 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

So, we sold Andy Cole to the highest placed club in English football that we have ever sold anyone to, did we?

Newcastle finished third the season after we sold him to them. I like to think his 34 goals helped.... otherwise Ade Akinbiyi?

7 minutes ago, One Team said:

Andy Cole, only ex player to win the Champions League.

If all those answering "Andy Cole" have a spare minute this weekend, try reading the opening post and checking who we sold AC to (clue: it wasn't Man Utd) and what division who we sold AC to were in (clue: they were in the same division as us - so probably not the top division then?)

28 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Roy Bentley to Newcastle United in 1947. Born in Shirehampton.

Went on to play for England twelve times scoring nine goals and captained Chelsea when they won their first First Division title in mid 1950's.

Career record around 600 games and 175 goals.

Newcastle were Second Division in 1947, though!

It's not what they went on to do - although that is interesting (and there's precious few that we sell that go on to do anything top class - but Andy Cole is one, yes) and maybe another thread - that I am asking of you, it is who they immediately left us for, and where the club they left us for were at at the time of the transfer. ie, if Lloyd had moved to Liverpool he would be the (best is the wrong term) "highest" - Liverpool having just finished second in the top division and in the Champions League final too.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

You should probably rename the thread... 

"Which player when sold went to the highest placed and most important club?"

It's probably one of those random kids Liverpool have taken from our academy like Herbie Kane.

Yes, the thread title has not helped. Schoolboy error. "Andy Cole" is possibly the answer to the thread title, with Roy Bentley and Gerry Gow in there too; the answer to the opening post is not Andy Cole, it is someone else

Archived