IGNORED

Who is the best, the greatest, player, we ever sold?

57 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

So, we sold Andy Cole to the highest placed club in English football that we have ever sold anyone to, did we?

I thought the question was 'who is the best player we've sold?' Who we sold him to doesn't come into it.

Did I misunderstand the question?

Technically...

As we’ve sold Lloyd Kelly after the conclusion of the 18/19 season, and there is no way Aston Villa or Derby can outrank them alphabetically, as at the start of 2019/20 (so at the next league game), AFC Bournemouth will be top of the Premier League.

So, perversely, the answer is Lloyd Kelly.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Rovers, by the way, sold Micky Tanner to Liverpool  and he lifted the European Cup there four times, I think?

Blimey, where to start with this?! Micky Tanner was a Bristol City player in the 1980s ....Rovers sold Nick Tanner to Liverpool in 1988 - he played around 40 games for them in 6 years - he certainly didn’t lift the European Cup four times. They didn’t even win it once while he was there - for the record, they won the European Cup in 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 and 2005 ...

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We sold Sam Gilligan to Liverpool, Dick Wombwell to Man Utd, Billy Jones to Spurs, Billy Coggins and Andy Burton to Everton, Tommy Broad to Man City ....

What a name that is!

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

It was Nick Tanner.........Micky Tanner was I think a local league player who was signed by us and had a couple of games for us then disappeared during the Terry Cooper years when were scratching around for players.

Played against Nicky Tanner many times when he was at Mangoes. Never thought he'd turn Pro, let alone end up at Liverpool. Very easy to nutmeg :laugh:

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

He went to Newcastle, from here. Don't remember Newcastle winning the Champions League, mate. We were in the same division as Newcastle when we sold him, too.

You haven't read my op properly, or I haven't explained myself properly/clearly enough. 

Otherwise, some good shouts: Gerry Gow, Chris Garland. Did Chris go straight into their team?

Easy. The OP is badly written.

The original post sets some odd parameters which I am just going to ignore. Simple fact is we have never sold a player who has gone on to reach a higher level in the game than Andy Cole. Not really relevant that we sold him on to Newcastle and then he moved from there to Man Utd. I cannot think of a player who has played for us permanently who has won premier league and champions league medals so he has to be the answer to the question in the title of this thread.

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The original post sets some odd parameters which I am just going to ignore. Simple fact is we have never sold a player who has gone on to reach a higher level in the game than Andy Cole. Not really relevant that we sold him on to Newcastle and then he moved from there to Man Utd. I cannot think of a player who has played for us permanently who has won premier league and champions league medals so he has to be the answer to the question in the title of this thread.

Andrew Cole it is then 

I know this isn’t answering the exact question in the opening post, but the one player we sold (seemingly needlessly) that still rankles with me is Bob Taylor. What a player. I’m still gutted we let him go. Only a relatively short time later we had the likes of Liam Robinson and Ian Baird up front. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I would also give an honourable mention to Keith Curle, albeit it took a couple of moves (Reading and Wimbledon) before becoming the most expensive defender in English football when he moved to Man. City, and also went on to play for England in the Euros in Sweden 1992.  Played out of position by Graham Taylor (he was a brilliant central defender but no right back!).  But I agree that Andy Cole is the most successful player to be sold by City, which reflects the title of the thread, if not the contradiction of the actual original post.

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

Andy Cole I think?

5 hours ago, Lucan said:

Yeah, I think it’s Andy Cole

5 hours ago, WSMRobin said:

Yep, andy cole

5 hours ago, Sitrom said:

You're all wrong.  It's not Andy Cole.  It's Andrew Cole.  

It's Andy Cole, I think, therefore I am ..

or am I ? 

Its the close season and we all have way too much time on our hands (but not enough to read the opening post apparently) so may I suggest turning this around and asking who isn't it (maybe only those that went higher otherwise its a very long list). 

So Andy Cole, when he left us Newcastle were in tier 2, all of Bobby, Bryan, Flint and Kelly outrank him and its none of them either.

Its not micky Maynard, Tomlin, nick Carle, agosteno. 

Not sure how to rank players that went abroad, CSKA are pretty high on the UEFA coefficient.

Archived