IGNORED

Who is the best, the greatest, player, we ever sold?

Richard Dryden to Southampton in the mid 1990s? As direct transfers go. Luke Wiltshire to whichever Dutch club he went to after WC 2006.

Aside from that Rob Newman straight into the Norwich Uefa Cup Madness probably takes it

13 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It's not what they went on to do - although that is interesting (and there's precious few that we sell that go on to do anything top class - but Andy Cole is one, yes) and maybe another thread - that I am asking of you, it is who they immediately left us for, and where the club they left us for were at at the time of the transfer. ie, if Lloyd had moved to Liverpool he would be the (best is the wrong term) "highest" - Liverpool having just finished second in the top division and in the Champions League final too.

You’re wasting your time MOP , you start a thread about soccer hard men , end up talking about Tammy Abraham’s hair after trawling through a myriad of fish puns .

Our threads are like our children, we bring them into the world and set them off on the right path but we don’t own them. They are living things of beauty.

I'm going with Andy Cole.

And no, I haven't read the OP as there seems to be some confusion about it.

I'm answering the question "Which of our players was purchased from the highest placed football club?"

Hence, Andy Cole and Arsenal.

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

I'm going with Andy Cole.

And no, I haven't read the OP as there seems to be some confusion about it.

I'm answering the question "Which of our players was purchased from the highest placed football club?"

Hence, Andy Cole and Arsenal.

No I’m sure we bought Dicky Tanner and Dieter Spiring from Liverpool who were World Champions.

18 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The original post sets some odd parameters which I am just going to ignore. Simple fact is we have never sold a player who has gone on to reach a higher level in the game than Andy Cole. Not really relevant that we sold him on to Newcastle and then he moved from there to Man Utd. I cannot think of a player who has played for us permanently who has won premier league and champions league medals so he has to be the answer to the question in the title of this thread.

They may be odd, but they're the parameters; stick to the question. Just because you don't want to spend 24 hours trawling the internet.......  ????

Ok, well, we exactly didn't sell the wonderful legend that wasTony Rougier we released him after the play offs vs Brighton.

It appears he went abroad for a while after that, played a bit in the US before eventually returning to Trinidad and  becoming a coach. ( no, not a tourist bus btw if that's what you're thinking ?)

The thing that's bugging me is I cant think for the life of me whatever happened to his brother Anthony, did we sell him, or release him like Tony ?  Anyone know what became of him after leaving The Gate ? 

On 19/05/2019 at 07:46, WarksRobin said:

Magnussen went on to play in the Champions League the season after we sold him. I think he played vs Real Madrid 

Luke Wilkshire went on to play in 2 World Cups and (IIRC) the Champions League with Twente

21 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Gerry Gow.

In todays market he would be worth 35 million 

His perm would be worth £10m!

Archived