IGNORED

COD wants to leave - The Times

I don't have an account but this is behind a paywall, can someone help?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bristol-city-winger-callum-odowda-wants-fresh-start-hdlvbhtn2

The Bristol City winger, Callum O’Dowda, wants to leave the club this summer after he was allegedly frozen out when he refused to sign a new contract. O’Dowda, who is joining the Republic of Ireland summer camp in the Algarve today ahead of June’s European Championship qualifiers, is believed to have been fit for some time, but hasn’t played for Bristol City since early March. The club narrowly missed out on the Championship playoffs and it’s understood that a number of Premier League and Championship clubs are now considering a bid for O’Dowda. The 23-year-old winger has a year left on his contract and could attract a fee of about £6m for the Robins, who won’t want to let him leave on a free transfer…

7 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Shame - but if he wants out, let him go.

Can’t see us getting £6m but we’ll make a healthy profit on what we bought him for (club recruitment strategy in action) and move on.

No,we won't get six mill - we'll get more than that...

Crazy I know but likely!

That's a different version of events to LJ saying he didn't want to play. Perhaps this version is from his agent, it certainly reads that way, and might suggest that Mr. 10% has failed to drum up enough interest himself so has now resorted to barely disguised "come and get me" ads in the national media. Never a good look for player or agent, but that's him finished at City. ?

16 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I don't have an account but this is behind a paywall, can someone help?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bristol-city-winger-callum-odowda-wants-fresh-start-hdlvbhtn2

The Bristol City winger, Callum O’Dowda, wants to leave the club this summer after he was allegedly frozen out when he refused to sign a new contract. O’Dowda, who is joining the Republic of Ireland summer camp in the Algarve today ahead of June’s European Championship qualifiers, is believed to have been fit for some time, but hasn’t played for Bristol City since early March. The club narrowly missed out on the Championship playoffs and it’s understood that a number of Premier League and Championship clubs are now considering a bid for O’Dowda. The 23-year-old winger has a year left on his contract and could attract a fee of about £6m for the Robins, who won’t want to let him leave on a free transfer…

Here's the rest of the article. It's from the Irish Times:

"O’Dowda, who picked up a knee injury back in March, was ruled out of Ireland’s opening two European Championship games that month, but made a point of travelling to Dublin to meet the new manager Mick McCarthy and attend the FAI player of the year awards, a gesture which is thought to have not gone down well with his club. O’Dowda travelled with the City team for their last game of the season against Hull City, but didn’t get in the match-day squad.

In January, O’Dowda was linked with a move to Leeds United, but a price tag of £10m is said to have scared off interest. Around that time, City activated an option year on his contract and it seems inevitable that O’Dowda will now leave the club, which he joined in 2016 from Oxford United for around £1.25m."

Shame I liked COD and saw a lot of potential. If he wants go then never mind. 

Interesting use of words though "frozen out" if he is refusing to sign a new contract then why would we invest time and effort in to him - that's not frozen out that's just doing what's best for the long term goals of the club. 

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

Shame I liked COD and saw a lot of potential. If he wants go then never mind. 

Interesting use of words though "frozen out" if he is refusing to sign a new contract then why would we invest time and effort in to him - that's not frozen out that's just doing what's best for the long term goals of the club. 

Johnson implied that COD wouldn’t play so it’s LJ word against COD. I believe LJ.  

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Fair enough. If he wants to move on, at least we'll likely get a fee for him.

Rate him as a player, but maybe his time here has come to a natural conclusion. Dare say he will be replaceable from within the existing squad.

I honestly think Eliasson is the better player, COD has always been way too inconsistent. 

I say this he will probably end up bagging 15 goals next season when he signs for Huddersfield or Fulham

6 minutes ago, Pezo said:

If we get 6 I will be amazed, 2 is probably closer. 

Exactly the sort of thing that was being said about Reid and Bryan. What we think a player ought to be worth has no bearing on the market. Especially with Ashton's track record.

24 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Can’t see us getting £6m but we’ll make a healthy profit on what we bought him for (club recruitment strategy in action) and move on.

Absolutely right about SLs recruitment strategy of developing youngsters and sell them on at a profit.

It worked well last summer with the departure of Reid, Bryan and Flint when all three made a very decent profit for the club. So far Kelly has gone for a cool £13m plus add ons and when CoD goes it’ll be even more profit.

City should get a decent fee for O’Dowda with him being an Irish international and will definitely push for more than £6m.........

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Johnson implied that COD wouldn’t play so it’s LJ word against COD. I believe LJ.  

Not even looking at that angle its just the use of the word frozen out fells like an agents word, it makes COD out to be the victim. If you look at it from the club's perspective then it's a case of why would we invest time and effort in giving you experience if you have stated you want to leave.

I can't understand why he would want to leave, I can't see a better offer being available from a team more likely to get promoted (maybe Leeds but they won't pay much more) and he has some good friends here. 

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Not even looking at that angle its just the use of the word frozen out fells like an agents word, it makes COD out to be the victim. If you look at it from the club's perspective then it's a case of why would we invest time and effort in giving you experience if you have stated you want to leave.

I can't understand why he would want to leave, I can't see a better offer being available from a team more likely to get promoted (maybe Leeds but they won't pay much more) and he has some good friends here. 

Let's just say that some players have parents who see their sons as a goldmine for them.

This is a great shame if true, always rate COD and has scored some decent goals but not consistent enough IMO.   If the situation can be saved and he stays then fine but if not, it's football and we/he move on.  NE still has a lot to come and seems very happy here, also there are youngsters in the system coming through, it is our operating model now and we should not divert from it.

"Frozen Out" seems an extreme agent speak statement implying "my client has his bags packed and is ready to go"

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Let's just say that some players have parents who see their sons as a goldmine for them.

I hope that my son will be a gold mine in the future - I just need to decide which sport he will dominate in!

He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, just runs very quickly in straight lines, doesn't supply much quality and bottles challenges. I'd snap someone's hand off for £6m and not look back, he won't play successfully at a higher level than this because he doesn't have the mentality.

Archived