IGNORED

COD wants to leave - The Times

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

We didn't have to sell Kelly though, clubs will be aware that O'dowda has a year left on his contract and we will need to sell.

They were aware we had to sell Reid. Didn't stop us getting £10m for him.

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

He has not been that much of a regular, had the odd good game but never had me on the edge of my seat, Eliasson has mind ?

The thing with wide players they always seem to blow hot and cold. As long as we make a wedge good bye and good luck.  Shut the door on the way out, flatters to deceive 

He was starting to become one last season before injury at Hull.  Again this season, he was becoming a regular name on the teamsheet, before injury, especially in that winning run.  He isn’t as good as he thinks, but I think we missed his running with the ball in the latter games of the season.  I think that winning run and a bit of attention went to his (and his dad’s) head.

I think we’ll get £4m, maybe £5m at a push.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

We didn't have to sell Kelly though, clubs will be aware that O'dowda has a year left on his contract and we will need to sell.

Plus he has made it clear one way or the other that he see's his future elsewhere

6 hours ago, SimonL said:

His former Irish manager Martin o Neil is a very big fan of COD so perhaps you might see a decent bid come in from Forest. 

I don’t see it anymore. 

Forest have a strong midfield - albeit I have in mind it’s supplemented by loans. 

The fact this article is out there is what pours cold water on Forest for me. Clearly it’s a plant to generate interest, provoke a response from some clubs. MON would have been well aware for a while that COD wanted out, probably the second he got the Forest job his agent sent him champagne and with a card ‘let’s talk about Callum’. 

If MON was keen, or willing to meet our valuation, this article probably wouldn’t exist. 

As for value. £6m. As if. Even with MA negotiating. This is his agent picking a number which suggests his skill and our view of his potential; no indication where that valuation came from. Wasn’t Freeman attracting £4m bids in January? No one’s going £6m on COD in my view. £3.5m I reckon is what we’d be holding for. 

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

At £13m we would have been stupid not to sell LK.

Agree completely, but the fact he had years on his contract meant that we could get the top dollar for him!

28 minutes ago, chinapig said:

They were aware we had to sell Reid. Didn't stop us getting £10m for him.

Yeah but as I said before, there is a bit of difference between attackers who notch 20+ goals in a championship season and one who has not got 5+ goals or assists in one.

6 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Agree completely, but the fact he had years on his contract meant that we could get the top dollar for him!

Yeah but as I said before, there is a bit of difference between attackers who notch 20+ goals in a championship season and one who has not got 5+ goals or assists in one.

But at the end of the day Bobby had one good season for us and Lloyd was not a regular in the starting eleven. Selling them for the fees we received was / is cracking business. Hats off to the club IMHO.

19 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Fair enough, but by the same token we got £6m for Bryan, a full back in the last year of his contract. 

16 minutes ago, BigTone said:

But at the end of the day Bobby had one good season for us and Lloyd was not a regular in the starting eleven. Selling them for the fees we received was / is cracking business. Hats off to the club IMHO.

There is no denying Bobby had one good season but there is slightly more to it. 

In those other years he often had purple patches. What seemed to change was consistency clicked.

He worked on his stamina and physical attributes in a remarkable manner and that seemed to elevate him; the boy became a man. 

So it wasn’t quite one good season. In that year he showed he could perform as he had done before, but consistently over a long-term. 

That, then coupled with he didn’t just do it against Championship opposition, his performances against the best in the cup run suggested he could move up. 

I’d almost make a comparison to Mitrovic. If you look at his career in England, he was indifferent at Newcastle went to Fulham and in a relatively short time frame has shown a consistent high performance level. Showing what you could see but not guarantee from him before. 

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

There is no denying Bobby had one good season but there is slightly more to it. 

In those other years he often had purple patches. What seemed to change was consistency clicked.

He worked on his stamina and physical attributes in a remarkable manner and that seemed to elevate him; the boy became a man. 

So it wasn’t quite one good season. In that year he showed he could perform as he had done before, but consistently over a long-term. 

That, then coupled with he didn’t just do it against Championship opposition, his performances against the best in the cup run suggested he could move up. 

I’d almost make a comparison to Mitrovic. If you look at his career in England, he was indifferent at Newcastle went to Fulham and in a relatively short time frame has shown a consistent high performance level. Showing what you could see but not guarantee from him before. 

Come on, he had one good season and was an inconsistent bit part player before. We robbed Cardiff with the transfer fee. Has he moved on with them ?

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Come on, he had one good season and was an inconsistent bit part player before. We robbed Cardiff with the transfer fee. Has he moved on with them ?

That’s exactly what I said. He had purple patches in short periods before. 

Did we rob Cardiff? Rob is pushing it, but we got a very good deal unquestionably. Right now I doubt his value has plummeted. If he doesn’t have a good season next year, then it may. 

No, he made a really bad ‘long term’ career move. He joined a side who wouldn’t get the best, unlike LK who in joining Bmouth over Liverpool has, imo, made a really smart move.

6 minutes ago, 29AR said:

That’s exactly what I said. He had purple patches in short periods before. 

Did we rob Cardiff? Rob is pushing it, but we got a very good deal unquestionably. Right now I doubt his value has plummeted. If he doesn’t have a good season next year, then it may. 

No, he made a really bad ‘long term’ career move. He joined a side who wouldn’t get the best, unlike LK who in joining Bmouth over Liverpool has, imo, made a really smart move.

I would agree but at £13m we are laughing all the way to HSBC at what must be a huge gamble for Bournemouth. With regards BR has he been a regular for Cardiff.....no I think is fair to say. Why we ask ? Cos he ain't good enough is also fair to say.

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I would agree but at £13m we are laughing all the way to HSBC at what must be a huge gamble for Bournemouth. With regards BR has he been a regular for Cardiff.....no I think is fair to say. Why we ask ? Cos he ain't good enough is also fair to say.

No doubt we did amazingly well on both transfers. The one recent deal which makes me smile most in terms of robbing was Tomlin to Cardiff. Have that, bastards. If they offer £6m for O Dowda that’d be a triple sweep.   

Re Reid I think the player is there. He just went to a club where he was never going to fit; a bit like Tammy’s loan to Swansea. Big year for bobby coming up, have a good season, I think he’ll get another crack at the PL, bad or mediocre one and I predict championship journeyman. 

25 minutes ago, 29AR said:

No doubt we did amazingly well on both transfers. The one recent deal which makes me smile most in terms of robbing was Tomlin to Cardiff. Have that, bastards. If they offer £6m for O Dowda that’d be a triple sweep.   

Re Reid I think the player is there. He just went to a club where he was never going to fit; a bit like Tammy’s loan to Swansea. Big year for bobby coming up, have a good season, I think he’ll get another crack at the PL, bad or mediocre one and I predict championship journeyman. 

Tammy's all round game wasn't so good when he went to Swansea, maybe improved now- think great though he was for us, we can cut him a bit too much slack due to it.

Tough ask for him at Swansea, but he was linked with Wolves- unconvinced he would fit with their style- if his all-round level did improve then sure but in PL you can often need other attributes than just good or excellent finishing.

If you get time as well, go on WhoScored- now you can't base it just on that but goals and clinical nature aside, other aspects of Tammy and Fammy really quite similar- indeed the latter outstrips him in certain areas.

However that said, Tammy is only 21- 22 in October- so time is very much on his side!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Eff me....Villa want to buy Tammy, whether they get promoted or not.  How effin’ deluded are they?  They’ll be selling players not recruiting, especially with an embargo.

Saw a £25m fee mentioned on the BBC gossip section!

When the premier league needs you then obviously financial constraint and ffp compliance don't apply.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Eff me....Villa want to buy Tammy, whether they get promoted or not.  How effin’ deluded are they?  They’ll be selling players not recruiting, especially with an embargo.

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Saw a £25m fee mentioned on the BBC gossip section!

When the premier league needs you then obviously financial constraint and ffp compliance don't apply.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-tammy-abraham-alternatives-aston-villa-should-consider-amid-fresh-update/amp/

Dunno who the joker who wrote this is but they should be unless they win, selling Grealish and not renewing any of the loanees.

Then there's Chester, McGinn, Hourihane, Kodjia, Hogan- all saleable assets- so sell at least some of them they must! 

God knows how big their losses will be now- even selling Grealish if they stay down won't solve the problem.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-tammy-abraham-alternatives-aston-villa-should-consider-amid-fresh-update/amp/

Dunno who the joker who wrote this is but they should be unless they win, selling Grealish and not renewing any of the loanees.

Then there's Chester, McGinn, Hourihane, Kodjia, Hogan- all saleable assets- so sell at least some of them they must! 

God knows how big their losses will be now- even selling Grealish if they stay down won't solve the problem.

I'm going to find myself supporting FLDR in the final just to see what happens to Villa. My guess is still that they will be allowed to game the system though.

There is a parallel with Man City in that there is a prima facie case against them but not a peep from the Premier League.

All clubs are equal but some or more equal than others.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm going to find myself supporting FLDR in the final just to see what happens to Villa. My guess is still that they will be allowed to game the system though.

There is a parallel with Man City in that there is a prima facie case against them but not a peep from the Premier League.

That’s t’he reason I want them to win too....wanna watch Villa and their delusional, self entitled fans (generalisation) implode.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s t’he reason I want them to win too....wanna watch Villa and their delusional, self entitled fans (generalisation) implode.

Plus the grovelling media who keep telling us they belong in the PL because they used to be good decades ago.

If he has indeed told the club that he’s not intending to sign a new deal and move on then I’m behind LJ 100% in not playing COD, you want players 100% committed to the club, not players who do not want to be here. So fair play LJ if this is the case :clap:

As for the fee’s of £6m-£10m being banded about I can’t see us getting anywhere near that? Since he’s been here he’s probably had 2 spells of very good form lasting 7/8 games before getting injured and that’s about it! I’ve seen nothing from him to think he’s capable of stepping up a level. 

21 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

No doubt someone else has already raised this point but, if we persisted with players such as Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid despite them refusing to sign, why is Callum O’Dowda any different?

I’ll tell you why - because he’s the problem, not us.

Partially agree.

All I’ve seen of Callum as a person in interviews, interactions etc suggests he’s a decent guy. And, actually, I think you can judge a man by his friends - and his best mates are the totally committed Brownhill and Taylor.

I don’t think he’s the problem - and I said this on a prior thread having seen the Sky “Phenoms” series - I think, as has been brought up here, Daddy O’Dowda is the problem. Unfortunately COD is not ready to go into a prem side, or be an automatic starter for a top 8 championship side (including us). So, IMO, because Dad thinks he’s better than he is, he’s likely moving from a management team who have a record for developing and improving young players (Bobby, Joe, Josh, Lloyd, Nic amongst others) and making a sideways move where he may not get the same long term benefit.

In the words of Elton John “It’s a sad sad situation”. And COD will only realise his potential (which is there), by listening to himself.

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tammy's all round game wasn't so good when he went to Swansea, maybe improved now- think great though he was for us, we can cut him a bit too much slack due to it.

Tough ask for him at Swansea, but he was linked with Wolves- unconvinced he would fit with their style- if his all-round level did improve then sure but in PL you can often need other attributes than just good or excellent finishing.

If you get time as well, go on WhoScored- now you can't base it just on that but goals and clinical nature aside, other aspects of Tammy and Fammy really quite similar- indeed the latter outstrips him in certain areas.

However that said, Tammy is only 21- 22 in October- so time is very much on his side!

No doubt Tammy would of learned an awful lot whilst at Swansea but their football was dire and the way they set up didn’t suit Tammy’s game at all, he was played as a lone striker 90% of the time and he thrives on crosses coming in from the flanks which were few and far between due to the style Swansea played.

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I will be too- no particular love for Derby but the lesser of 2 evils in this instance, absolutely. Hope Aston Villa implode. Tbf to them- Tony Xia last summer seemed to take FFP relatively seriously, he was willing to sell players- or maybe it was capital control from China that forced that 

Haha of course not- PL wouldn't want to damage their precious brand. Nor would the FA-to me that stands for 2 words that suggest a distinct lack of use- one beginning with "F" and one beginning with "A". :yes:

4 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

No doubt Tammy would of learned an awful lot whilst at Swansea but their football was dire and the way they set up didn’t suit Tammy’s game at all, he was played as a lone striker 90% of the time and he thrives on crosses coming in from the flanks which were few and far between due to the style Swansea played.

Crossing from the flanks is a dying art at good levels. Width of the penalty box a greater trend- it's up to players to adapt, not the other way round.

Lone strikers are also in vogue- the level of support they get is quite key- 4-5-1 can easily morph into 4--3-3, 4-2-3-1.

These days at good levels, it is or can be a fairly ineffective route to goal. Which PL club would you have recommended a loan to in 2017-18?

Incidentally, I think the experience could yet stand him in good stead moving forward. May well be a better player for it. Only 21- time very much on his side too.

Archived