IGNORED

COD wants to leave - The Times

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Partially agree.

All I’ve seen of Callum as a person in interviews, interactions etc suggests he’s a decent guy. And, actually, I think you can judge a man by his friends - and his best mates are the totally committed Brownhill and Taylor.

I don’t think he’s the problem - and I said this on a prior thread having seen the Sky “Phenoms” series - I think, as has been brought up here, Daddy O’Dowda is the problem. Unfortunately COD is not ready to go into a prem side, or be an automatic starter for a top 8 championship side (including us). So, IMO, because Dad thinks he’s better than he is, he’s likely moving from a management team who have a record for developing and improving young players (Bobby, Joe, Josh, Lloyd, Nic amongst others) and making a sideways move where he may not get the same long term benefit.

In the words of Bernie Taupin “It’s a sad sad situation”. And COD will only realise his potential (which is there), by listening to himself.

Corrected for you before BS4onTour does ???

I've spoken to Callum on the way to a couple of games and he does seem to be a decent lad.  When he is fit and motivated, he is well worth his place in the team, but something does not seem right lately with him not signing a contract, Lee saying his injury problem was not a physical one and him now being able to go off to train with Ireland.

It may be just a case of his agent telling him he can get him a better deal elsewhere and he has just lost interest.  Not very professional, but if he wants his career to follow the money, he might just end up as a journeyman.

Personally, I thik that if he puts the work in and stays here, he has a great chance to make a real name for himself and even make big bucks in the prem or in europe in the future.

Shame, but it's his decision and his life.

9 hours ago, SimonL said:

His former Irish manager Martin o Neil is a very big fan of COD so perhaps you might see a decent bid come in from Forest. 

I’ve heard this rumour since O’Neil went to Forest, maybe CoD is hoping for this. Personally I’m not so sure. O’Neil is a vastly experienced manager, and it’s one thing taking a player on International duty and quite another paying out millions for club football. Callum has pulled out of international duty several times due to injury, or at least returned injured from playing. O’Neil will be aware of this, I don’t think Forest will be buying him somehow.

No doubt he will sign for Forest tomorrow and you can all laugh at me ?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Crossing from the flanks is a dying art at good levels. Width of the penalty box a greater trend- it's up to players to adapt, not the other way round.

Lone strikers are also in vogue- the level of support they get is quite key- 4-5-1 can easily morph into 4--3-3, 4-2-3-1.

These days at good levels, it is or can be a fairly ineffective route to goal. Which PL club would you have recommended a loan to in 2017-18?

Incidentally, I think the experience could yet stand him in good stead moving forward. May well be a better player for it. Only 21- time very much on his side too.

If your playing a lone striker then getting balls into the box is a must, Tammy imo for the physical side of isn’t made out to be a lone striker. I’ve said it before, Tammy is a natural goalscorer who will score at every any level given the service, so if I was Chelsea I wouldn’t of even sent him out on loan, I would of had him in and around the 1st team, yet this is Chelsea who given the amount of quality throughout their youth teams hardly give any of them a chance, John Terry I think being the only one who’s come through their ranks given that chance and stayed there. If I did have to send Tammy out on loan to side I’d of said Bournemouth.

I tend to agree with the policy of not playing a player who refuses to sign. He won’t commit so move on - we don’t need a ‘wantaway’ polluting the dressing room  

The Maynard debacle springs to mind. 

Having said that, I can only form opinions on what I read on these boards, on the OS and in the press - I’m not party to the dressing room - it may be total bull. 

34 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

If your playing a lone striker then getting balls into the box is a must, Tammy imo for the physical side of isn’t made out to be a lone striker. I’ve said it before, Tammy is a natural goalscorer who will score at every any level given the service, so if I was Chelsea I wouldn’t of even sent him out on loan, I would of had him in and around the 1st team, yet this is Chelsea who given the amount of quality throughout their youth teams hardly give any of them a chance, John Terry I think being the only one who’s come through their ranks given that chance and stayed there. If I did have to send Tammy out on loan to side I’d of said Bournemouth.

I'm not just not convinced that at that time, in terms of trade offs- goals v control, Tammy had the all-round game for the PL. It was only his second full season after all and his first at that level.

Balls into the box maybe. It's the way the game is has gone, is going though, at the higher levels poachers don't really flourish. Bournemouth is an interesting one as they do at times play with 2 strikers- Wolves however, who many linked him with- would he flourish there? Or have flourished there last season- not for me, not so much- stylistically they almost play a strikerless formation at times, ie a 3-5-2-0 and that's not his game- or a 3-5-1-1 at minimum. Their "wingers" when they had the 3-4-3 certainly weren't traditional either. It's a lot more fluid now- certainly Jimenez isn't a traditional "focal point" up front- he can drift. Perhaps only in certain, specific phases would it be a 3-5-2-0 though!

Bournemouth though- let's see. Progressive football- check. 4-4-2 sometimes- check- so if he needs a strike pair, that is one option- didn't strike me as an orthodox 4-4-2. At Chelsea in Conte's first season- i.e. when he was on loan here, the 3-4-3 might have suited him, but he was never getting in ahead of Costa. Once he left, maybe but Conte went to more of a 3-5-1-1 so I question his capabilities in that formation.

Face it, if he needs a strike partner he is going to struggle to be a first choice at the higher levels, given how the game is developing. Time is on his side though. he can kick on and hopefully he will- but strike pair, crosses and lots of them- it's a dying art at the higher levels 

Will look into Bournemouth 2017/18 though and see what I can find at the shapes.

Regards O'Dowda- hard one.

If he wants to go, we must sell him as we expected we might and especially if he will not sign a contract subsequent to the extension we activated- but this is going to cause his value to depreciate a bit- so too might the whole being frozen out if true. Or alternatively, it might be seen in a better sense- sold as "well, his lack of game time means he will be in fine condition to join a new club in the summer.

My initial thought reading the article- freezing out because of contract- morally right or not, doesn't paint us in the best of light. Would it cause any players to think twice? I remember, 11 years ago Basso being frozen out. Didn't Orr also get frozen out in that same time frame for a while, over contractual issues- dunno if it's a good rep to get as a club- then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it! My own take, if useful and fit- and his head in the right place even if no contract to be signed, play him until the end of the season or at least give him the chance- and then sell him- obviously if he's phoning it in on the pitch or in training then that all changes, but during the run-in I wouldn't just write off a player who can produce the spectacular because of refusing to sign a contract. More to it? Then sure, for the good of the team you have to.

£6m? Dunno about that- thinking more £3-4m, what with a year left, lengthy injury in 2017/18 and not always delivering. Would've cost £10m in January but I guess that was the old classic trick like in La Liga release clauses- set them so high that nobody bothers.

Think he'll end up going the way of someone like Freeman. He'll do well enough for another Championship club for a few to wonder why on earth we let him go, but in reality it seems like the right move at the right time for both parties

20 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Not saying he should have been picked but LJ should select the best team every time regardless of contractual issues. 

Agreeed, but if one player doesn't show any interest (possibly) then they shouldn't be in the team.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember, 11 years ago Basso being frozen out. Didn't Orr also get frozen out in that same time frame for a while, over contractual issues

Neither Basso or Orr were frozen out. At Xmas that season both were subject to lucrative offers from struggling Premiership sides. Johnson The Elder asked them to stay to see if they could get there with City (given we looked odds on at that stage to go up,) with the proviso that if we failed they could leave in the summer with blessings all round. City blew it, the club's who were after them were relegated and their offers evaporated. Basso, having seen his life-changing pay day go down The Swanee, sadly had a much publicised  'breakdown' (from which he thankfully recovered.) Orr made the mistake of thinking offer equals worth hence ended up moving around for bit part deals without ever hitting the heights.

8 hours ago, RedM said:

I’ve heard this rumour since O’Neil went to Forest, maybe CoD is hoping for this. Personally I’m not so sure. O’Neil is a vastly experienced manager, and it’s one thing taking a player on International duty and quite another paying out millions for club football. Callum has pulled out of international duty several times due to injury, or at least returned injured from playing. O’Neil will be aware of this, I don’t think Forest will be buying him somehow.

No doubt he will sign for Forest tomorrow and you can all laugh at me ?

We do that anyway.

;)

9 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Neither Basso or Orr were frozen out. At Xmas that season both were subject to lucrative offers from struggling Premiership sides. Johnson The Elder asked them to stay to see if they could get there with City (given we looked odds on at that stage to go up,) with the proviso that if we failed they could leave in the summer with blessings all round. City blew it, the club's who were after them were relegated and their offers evaporated. Basso, having seen his life-changing pay day go down The Swanee, sadly had a much publicised  'breakdown' (from which he thankfully recovered.) Orr made the mistake of thinking offer equals worth hence ended up moving around for bit part deals without ever hitting the heights.

There was no offer for basso though, was there? Also, where was there a mention of a breakdown?

36 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

There was no offer for basso though, was there? Also, where was there a mention of a breakdown?

My understanding at the time from somebody who knows a thing or two was that the club did receive an informal offer from Reading that had to be put to the player but given the proviso I stated he decided to stay until the end of the season. Doubtless you'll recall several uncharacteristic behaviours from Basso as early as him walking off the pitch at Wembley and certainly early in the 08/09 season; him standing away from the rest of his teammates, kicking five bells out of the posts with regular abandon and, unlike him, appearing to lose concentration throughout matches. Not a phrase I'd choose to use myself but the insider explanation was:"...he's lost his head." Coupled with his profound religious beliefs this took a severe toll on his performance, though thankfully the club's professional support helped him rebuild, though he was never the player he once was.

From a Wolves contact I understand his move there was the making of him and although he had few opportunities between the posts his life took a most positive upturn.

Point of all this being he wasn't 'frozen out' at City.

10 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

My understanding at the time from somebody who knows a thing or two was that the club did receive an informal offer from Reading that had to be put to the player but given the proviso I stated he decided to stay until the end of the season. Doubtless you'll recall several uncharacteristic behaviours from Basso as early as him walking off the pitch at Wembley and certainly early in the 08/09 season; him standing away from the rest of his teammates, kicking five bells out of the posts with regular abandon and, unlike him, appearing to lose concentration throughout matches. Not a phrase I'd choose to use myself but the insider explanation was:"...he's lost his head." Coupled with his profound religious beliefs this took a severe toll on his performance, though thankfully the club's professional support helped him rebuild, though he was never the player he once was.

From a Wolves contact I understand his move there was the making of him and although he had few opportunities between the posts his life took a most positive upturn.

You said " sadly had a much publicised  'breakdown' (from which he thankfully recovered.)".

Where was this too?

The above could easily be read as he was trying to force a move out of the club.

18 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I tend to agree with the policy of not playing a player who refuses to sign. He won’t commit so move on - we don’t need a ‘wantaway’ polluting the dressing room  

The Maynard debacle springs to mind. 

Having said that, I can only form opinions on what I read on these boards, on the OS and in the press - I’m not party to the dressing room - it may be total bull. 

Thankfully the days of grovelling to players as Sexton and Millen did to Maynard are over.

One of the most important contributions SL has made is when he said we shouldn't get so attached to players.

1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

You said " sadly had a much publicised  'breakdown' (from which he thankfully recovered.)".

Where was this too?

The above could easily be read as he was trying to force a move out of the club.

That's absolutely not what I meant. Basso took the lost opportunity very hard - in his case he could have gone but didn't and personally lost out as a result.

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

At Newcastle he declared himself unfit in the dressing room before the game so Dean Gerken played.

At the airport later he was sat apart from the other players, his head down, reading a magazine. All was clearly not well.

He hasn’t done enough in his time here to be rewarded with a big move. So I’m not sure what he is expecting? 

I could probably count the good performances from Callum O’Dowda on one hand.

Having said all that, this is probably down to agents, close relatives in Callum’s ear about what he could potentially get elsewhere.

34 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Made wage demands then when the club offered the wage he turned them down?!! If true we are better off without. He’s not actually “produced” that much for us anyway.

Worse, he accepted then did a U-turn. If he can't be trusted to keep his word then we are better off without him. 

21 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Worse, he accepted then did a U-turn. If he can't be trusted to keep his word then we are better off without him. 

More than likely 'advisers', agents- in his ear. His father?

Players very susceptible to agents advice. Still it's probably best for all concerned if he moves on- particularly after Sunday Times interview!

“Frozen out” seems like nonsense vocabulary. In effect, he was injured and didn’t earn his place back. Why on earth would he feel he automatically deserves a place in the squad when there are other players who have been playing in the same positions with similar or better numbers? 

Seems to me like shifting the blame.

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

Thankfully the days of grovelling to players as Sexton and Millen did to Maynard are over.

One of the most important contributions SL has made is when he said we shouldn't get so attached to players.

I may be wrong but I thought it was Delboy who grovelled to Maynard, not Millie........

Archived