Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Eastside Moonwalker

COD wants to leave - The Times

I don't have an account but this is behind a paywall, can someone help?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bristol-city-winger-callum-odowda-wants-fresh-start-hdlvbhtn2

The Bristol City winger, Callum O’Dowda, wants to leave the club this summer after he was allegedly frozen out when he refused to sign a new contract. O’Dowda, who is joining the Republic of Ireland summer camp in the Algarve today ahead of June’s European Championship qualifiers, is believed to have been fit for some time, but hasn’t played for Bristol City since early March. The club narrowly missed out on the Championship playoffs and it’s understood that a number of Premier League and Championship clubs are now considering a bid for O’Dowda. The 23-year-old winger has a year left on his contract and could attract a fee of about £6m for the Robins, who won’t want to let him leave on a free transfer…

Edited by Eastside Moonwalker

Shame - but if he wants out, let him go.

Can’t see us getting £6m but we’ll make a healthy profit on what we bought him for (club recruitment strategy in action) and move on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Shame - but if he wants out, let him go.

Can’t see us getting £6m but we’ll make a healthy profit on what we bought him for (club recruitment strategy in action) and move on.

No,we won't get six mill - we'll get more than that...

Crazy I know but likely!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I don't have an account but this is behind a paywall, can someone help?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bristol-city-winger-callum-odowda-wants-fresh-start-hdlvbhtn2

The Bristol City winger, Callum O’Dowda, wants to leave the club this summer after he was allegedly frozen out when he refused to sign a new contract. O’Dowda, who is joining the Republic of Ireland summer camp in the Algarve today ahead of June’s European Championship qualifiers, is believed to have been fit for some time, but hasn’t played for Bristol City since early March. The club narrowly missed out on the Championship playoffs and it’s understood that a number of Premier League and Championship clubs are now considering a bid for O’Dowda. The 23-year-old winger has a year left on his contract and could attract a fee of about £6m for the Robins, who won’t want to let him leave on a free transfer…

Here's the rest of the article. It's from the Irish Times:

"O’Dowda, who picked up a knee injury back in March, was ruled out of Ireland’s opening two European Championship games that month, but made a point of travelling to Dublin to meet the new manager Mick McCarthy and attend the FAI player of the year awards, a gesture which is thought to have not gone down well with his club. O’Dowda travelled with the City team for their last game of the season against Hull City, but didn’t get in the match-day squad.

In January, O’Dowda was linked with a move to Leeds United, but a price tag of £10m is said to have scared off interest. Around that time, City activated an option year on his contract and it seems inevitable that O’Dowda will now leave the club, which he joined in 2016 from Oxford United for around £1.25m."

• Thanks 3

Fair enough. If he wants to move on, at least we'll likely get a fee for him.

Rate him as a player, but maybe his time here has come to a natural conclusion. Dare say he will be replaceable from within the existing squad.

• Like 3

Shame I liked COD and saw a lot of potential. If he wants go then never mind. 

Interesting use of words though "frozen out" if he is refusing to sign a new contract then why would we invest time and effort in to him - that's not frozen out that's just doing what's best for the long term goals of the club. 

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

No,we won't get six mill - we'll get more than that...

Crazy I know but likely!

We won’t get much more than £6m. He only has one year left on his contract 

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

Shame I liked COD and saw a lot of potential. If he wants go then never mind. 

Interesting use of words though "frozen out" if he is refusing to sign a new contract then why would we invest time and effort in to him - that's not frozen out that's just doing what's best for the long term goals of the club. 

Johnson implied that COD wouldn’t play so it’s LJ word against COD. I believe LJ.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

We won’t get much more than £6m. He only has one year left on his contract 

If we get 6 I will be amazed, 2 is probably closer. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

it does sound a bit of a mess. if he wont sign a contract then it is best we get a good deal and he moves on. shame as there is a good player here.  if we can get 6m plus the lloyd kelly money we should if invested correctly be a real force next season. 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Johnson implied that COD wouldn’t play so it’s LJ word against COD. I believe LJ.  

Really? Surely if he wants to get a move away he would want to play to put himself in the shop window. 

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Fair enough. If he wants to move on, at least we'll likely get a fee for him.

Rate him as a player, but maybe his time here has come to a natural conclusion. Dare say he will be replaceable from within the existing squad.

I honestly think Eliasson is the better player, COD has always been way too inconsistent. 

I say this he will probably end up bagging 15 goals next season when he signs for Huddersfield or Fulham

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pezo said:

If we get 6 I will be amazed, 2 is probably closer. 

Exactly the sort of thing that was being said about Reid and Bryan. What we think a player ought to be worth has no bearing on the market. Especially with Ashton's track record.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Absolutely right about SLs recruitment strategy of developing youngsters and sell them on at a profit.

It worked well last summer with the departure of Reid, Bryan and Flint when all three made a very decent profit for the club. So far Kelly has gone for a cool £13m plus add ons and when CoD goes it’ll be even more profit.

City should get a decent fee for O’Dowda with him being an Irish international and will definitely push for more than £6m.........

• Thanks 1

4-5m with a decent sell on if he doesn't want to be here. There's a very good player in him it's just getting him to do it constantly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Not even looking at that angle its just the use of the word frozen out fells like an agents word, it makes COD out to be the victim. If you look at it from the club's perspective then it's a case of why would we invest time and effort in giving you experience if you have stated you want to leave.

I can't understand why he would want to leave, I can't see a better offer being available from a team more likely to get promoted (maybe Leeds but they won't pay much more) and he has some good friends here. 

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Not even looking at that angle its just the use of the word frozen out fells like an agents word, it makes COD out to be the victim. If you look at it from the club's perspective then it's a case of why would we invest time and effort in giving you experience if you have stated you want to leave.

I can't understand why he would want to leave, I can't see a better offer being available from a team more likely to get promoted (maybe Leeds but they won't pay much more) and he has some good friends here. 

Let's just say that some players have parents who see their sons as a goldmine for them.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Let's just say that some players have parents who see their sons as a goldmine for them.

ITK? Tell us more 

4 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

COD just too greedy when trying to negotiate a new contract!

Best for both parties that he goes now......

What did he ask for, and what was being offered?

This is a great shame if true, always rate COD and has scored some decent goals but not consistent enough IMO.   If the situation can be saved and he stays then fine but if not, it's football and we/he move on.  NE still has a lot to come and seems very happy here, also there are youngsters in the system coming through, it is our operating model now and we should not divert from it.

"Frozen Out" seems an extreme agent speak statement implying "my client has his bags packed and is ready to go"

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I hope that my son will be a gold mine in the future - I just need to decide which sport he will dominate in!

• Haha 2

Back when he signed there were various links to articles and the Secret Footballer where his demands and his Dad's influence when at Oxford were discussed.  

• Like 2

He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, just runs very quickly in straight lines, doesn't supply much quality and bottles challenges. I'd snap someone's hand off for £6m and not look back, he won't play successfully at a higher level than this because he doesn't have the mentality.

• Like 12
  • Hmmm 1

Like I’ve said before, one of the most overrated players I’ve seen in all my years supporting city. I don’t know what people see in him? 

Get what we can for him and reinvest the money!

• Like 3

I agree there’s a good footballer in there but sadly he didn’t produce anywhere close to often enough for us. Take the money, especially if it’s £6m or more, tell his old man to do one and move on.

And even if he turns out to be a raving success elsewhere he couldn’t do it for us on a regular basis so this deal sounds like great business.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Olé said:

That's a different version of events to LJ saying he didn't want to play. Perhaps this version is from his agent, it certainly reads that way, and might suggest that Mr. 10% has failed to drum up enough interest himself so has now resorted to barely disguised "come and get me" ads in the national media. Never a good look for player or agent, but that's him finished at City. 🚮

I've posted several times and said he done the same at Oxford to force his move. His dad's his agent and looks like he's tried it again but it's back fired. He's done here so get what we can and move on.

40 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Me too. He has a habit of picking up lengthy injuries, I’ve said before no two game niggles for him, so no doubt once he had made up his mind he didn’t want to risk getting injured again.

An exciting player when on his game, but similar to Kelly just not on his game often enough. (To be fair Kelly is younger and has less experience)I don’t think he is really head and shoulders above much of what is out there personally,

It seems his Dad and his Agent ( if they are not the same) have mostly spent his career touting him around. I know you want the best for your kids but selling them to the highest bidder doesn’t feel right to me. Life of a footballer I guess.

i really think he believes his own hype.

• Like 4

I`m confused as to why the club are said to have frowned on him going to Dublin to meet Mad Mick and attending the FAI awards. Did we say he couldn`t go and he ignored it or is it just more made up bollocks from his agent to make Callum seem persecuted.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He can go if he doesn’t want to stay, like any other player. Bye.

5 goals and 8 assists in 3 years....

Never understood the love in for the guy . Massively over rated.

£6m? Yes please 

• Like 8

It always grates on me when a player has been out with a long injury but then acts like they're deserving of so much better than the club they signed for once they're back playing.

O'Dowda made more appearances for City than Lloyd Kelly did this season but the latter just on with his training and waited for first team opportunities.

Maybe it's his previous behaviour at Oxford or LJ's comments but I think BCFC supporters have made their minds up with respect to O'Dowda's commitment.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nibor said:

He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, just runs very quickly in straight lines, doesn't supply much quality and bottles challenges. I'd snap someone's hand off for £6m and not look back, he won't play successfully at a higher level than this because he doesn't have the mentality.

Agreed, no way near worth £6mil. More than likely we will sell him for £2mil. COD for me has been a massive let down and has not improved much since first joining us. So would be a win win to make a profit on him and replace him with better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Agreed, no way near worth £6mil. More than likely we will sell him for £2mil. COD for me has been a massive let down and has not improved much since first joining us. So would be a win win to make a profit on him and replace him with better.

CoD is an international footballer.......City will get more than £6m for him. 

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

5 goals and 8 assists in 3 years....

Never understood the love in for the guy . Massively over rated.

£6m? Yes please 

3 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Look at his goal away to Norwich. That is what he can do. Still young so needs to do it more consistently. Imagine he will get there. 

A lot of City fans don’t seem to realise that young players improve. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

If he had longer on his contract they would.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

half of league 2 are international footballers, he is average in an average Ireland squad 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Redpool said:

We wouldn't make a profit on COD if we sold him for £2m as 30% goes to Oxford.

In today's market he goes for at least £6m imo, especially if Prem clubs are interested. 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For ROI. Hardly Brazil is it?

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Look at his goal away to Norwich. That is what he can do. Still young so needs to do it more consistently. Imagine he will get there. 

A lot of City fans don’t seem to realise that young players improve. 

If he had longer on his contract they would.

Come on Dave. He's 24 years old. In Football, that is hardly young, near enough heading to peak. 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In today's market he goes for at least £6m imo, especially if Prem clubs are interested. 

What Prem clubs are interested? I would be very surprised if any are. But I guess we will see. Maybe a club like Leeds would take a punt. 

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Isn't it 30% on profit ? In which case we must make something.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

30% of profit 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Always injured . Get rid early get the cash and move on.

Think LJ said he didn’t like trying to play through any “pain”, so it makes him a bit light weight and agree, move him on now.

1 hour ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I wonder how this has affected the dressing room, I think we've done pretty well at keeping bad eggs out ala Tomlin in recent times - hopefully he has been professional about it 

There is also the fact that O'Dowda and Brownhill are best of friends, I can't imagine they've not talked about him leaving which makes me wonder where Brownhill stands. I do wonder if his best mate leaving might be the catalyst to make Brownhill think about a move, especially if O'Dowda lands a good move and pay increase.