IGNORED

COD wants to leave - The Times

1 minute ago, Taz said:

Potentials always been there, but for me, way to inconsistent. 

IF these stories are true, then fair play to LJ for sticking to his guns and not playing him. Probably wouldn't have made much difference to the playoff push because you never know which version of him is going to turn up.

Fathers as agents? Think Callum may need to ask Mr Clough how that's working out for him...

Not saying he should have been picked but LJ should select the best team every time regardless of contractual issues. 

O'Dowda may be playing at a better club than City next year, but Brownhill will be playing at at even better club the season after on a lot more money.

All about timing and I dont think Callum is doing it right, leaving before he's maxed out his development.

11 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Unless its £3m we lose money overall.

Did we really pay 3m for him, seems a bit steep. 

I think there is a lot of focus on players as an asset but I'm not sure this matters too much, we lose money overall on everything - we pay signing on fees, we pay wages ect, the fee is just a small part of the overall cost. And then the finance world I think we make a profit due to the amortisation. 

I think CO’D is a decent player with bags of potential, but every time he’s looked like really doing something at City he’s gone down injured and ended up back at square one. It also feels like his attitude stinks if what LJ implies is true. 

If we get anywhere near £6m for him it will be fantastic business. 

He may not have been a consistent world beater but we definitely missed his direct play in that last quarter of the season - @MetzRed, you mentioned offline, a couple of games we could have won or got something out of with COD playing

I wonder if he said he wasn’t able to play one of the games we should have got a better result from, (Ipswich, Birmingham, Reading) and Johnson has begun to make do without him.

All that being said - we could replace him with someone as effective, direct but not as skilful for a relatively low fee. O’Dowda moving on could be the best thing for all concerned, it would be nice to see him kick on and I wouldn’t hold any grudges if City are still able to command a decent fee. (Provided he doesn’t tell the press he’d be embarrassed to have kids with a Bristolian accent ala Maynard)

17 minutes ago, WAHGS. said:

Do you know that James lad on Twitter who makes the City player compilations? He told my mate that Brendan O’Dowda messaged him the other week asking him to make a montage of Callum.

Yeah it all adds up. Desperately want to tout him around.

I do understand the proud parent bit, when O'Dowda first joined I barely had to mention him doing something in a tweet from an away ground and his dad and brother would retweet it or comment. They clearly want him to be seen in the best possible light, but I hadn't appreciated he was his agent, and when it veers over into playing the club for mugs I'm a lot less keen.

It's a confrontational press release - the fact is even without this injury thing, he is so appallingly inconsistent that it's no surprise he doesn't spend long in the team. For every Norwich or Birmingham away there's a Rotherham away or Stoke at home when he goes missing, does the square root of **** all, and gets hauled off by LJ at half time. Unsurprisingly he's a better sub.

I actually think his best run at the club was in October/November 2017 - Sunderland away, Fulham away etc. He was clearly our best player and for once doing it every week. But I agree with others who point out he hasn't pushed on since then at all, he isn't improving or becoming more consistent, and yet the international recognition seems to have totally gone to his head.

No great loss but disappointing way to handle it, airing it out in public, and speaks more to their desperation than ours. I guess it wouldn't be the first time a parent advising a player has operated in less than professional a manner with City, perhaps Brendan should have a chat with Mr. Clough, wherever he is now! Either way over-estimating pushy parents bit rarely ends well.

As entitled to call himself a footballer as he is to call himself an Irishman.

Will not be missed and as soon as we've banked the cash from whichever mugs want him I hope his career, like most of his performances for us, goes nowhere fast.

Always liked COD, talented and pacy, shame about the injury as that set him back. His goal at Norwich was very memorable. He will be missed, but that’s football, and a tidy profit. Would not be surprised if Josh moves too, he’s a very good player, and will attract interest from bigger clubs. 

Our transfer policy gets a lot of stick, but I find it great that we are sustainable, it’s working on the pitch, and with this policy, talented youngsters will be keen to join us. And with the money coming in, use it wisely.

4 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Is there a sell on clause ? Didn't know that.

So others are saying. Apparently 30%. Problem is IMHO is that if all costs are taken into account then that makes sell on clauses a redundant waste of ink.

6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

So others are saying. Apparently 30%. Problem is IMHO is that if all costs are taken into account then that makes sell on clauses a redundant waste of ink.

Blimey bearing in mind the transfer fee paid that sounds like a crap piece of business if true.

41 minutes ago, Spike said:

Because if your best mate left your work and got a much higher paying job where he was far happier and was on the phone talking to you about it and you had the same option too suddenly your job doesn't seem so appealing. 

You only have to look at players who make moves these days, some people are questioning Lloyd Kelly's choice to go to Bournemouth but guess what, he spoke to players in the England team who he said himself helped convince him it was the right move for him. 

This notion that friendships in football have no effect on the decisions the players make is silly. Of course footballers talk to each other about moves and their careers, Brownhill will almost certainly be interested in what O'Dowda has to say when he moves and I'm sure it'll have Brownhill thinking of he gains some more interest from bigger clubs. 

Made no difference to Pack when Flint left.

53 minutes ago, WAHGS. said:

Do you know that James lad on Twitter who makes the City player compilations? He told my mate that Brendan O’Dowda messaged him the other week asking him to make a montage of Callum.

Oh my god that is absolutely cringe ??????

6 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Blimey bearing in mind the transfer fee paid that sounds like a crap piece of business if true.

Well it will be 30% on profit but that is on what ? Fee received or total outlay ? My guess is the former rather than the latter.

Hopefully this will mean that Eliasson will get the chance to make his mark in the team. His crossing ability is immense. Could become a crucial player for City next season. Just needs LJ to give him a long-deserved run in the team.

One of those players where realising his potential always seems to be just around the corner.

Has been unlucky with injuries, especially 2 seasons ago when he got injured at Hull just when he was establishing himself in the team. However, while the goal at Norwich showed his capabilities, the championship is about putting in hard graft week in week out, and that he struggled to do.

34 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Well it will be 30% on profit but that is on what ? Fee received or total outlay ? My guess is the former rather than the latter.

Pretty sure fee received, the wages the club pays the player is just between them. 

And for the record if we have had him for three years and make a very minor profit on him after accounting for wages but include a 20% sell on fee that is still very good business. 

We cant force players to sign new contracts, he has done his service and we should take the money and let him go. If he becomes a world beater we will receive more millions in a sell on fee, and if not we were right to let him go. 

Not read the entire thread, so apologies if someone has already said this

When he left Oxford there was some controversy about him playing / not playing as well. OUFC fans told us he'd be here for two years and use us as a stepping stone for a bigger contract. Seems they were correct

I've no problem. Hot and cold as a player and a personality I haven't warmed to

Wish him luck, get the best deal and move on. It's time for Elisasson to step up now anyway, out of the two I'd rather keep NE anyway

Onwards and upwards for both, hopefully

12 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Not read the entire thread, so apologies if someone has already said this

When he left Oxford there was some controversy about him playing / not playing as well. OUFC fans told us he'd be here for two years and use us as a stepping stone for a bigger contract. Seems they were correct

I've no problem. Hot and cold as a player and a personality I haven't warmed to

Wish him luck, get the best deal and move on. It's time for Elisasson to step up now anyway, out of the two I'd rather keep NE anyway

Onwards and upwards for both, hopefully

My thoughts too.

In a way, it illustrates the difficulties of having decent cover for each position.  Difficult keeping young, ambitious players as first reserve.  They want to play. 

The guy making his youtube montage will seriously need to earn his money finding more than a few minutes of productive action. They might need to repeat that Norwich goal for the first few minutes from different angles and do a slow mo just to beef it out a bit. 

Average player, just milking the cash cow. What's not to love if you're one of the many lucky players playing the professional game.

If I was in charge I would leave him where he is, let him sit out a year while his agent pens a best seller about the greatest player you've never heard of.

He's not going to get a good welcome back to the Gate methinks. Decent player but not as good as he thinks he is and certainly not worth breaking our wage structure for.

As said earlier, if he wants to leave, bugger off then. No doubt he'll do the same to his next club as he did to Oxford and is doing to us and end up at a footballing hot bed like Bury or Rochdale at some point. He should be concentrating on being a better player rather than £££ and the big bucks will inevitably come. Just comes across as an arrogant, greedy arse. 

BOOOOOOOOOO!!! 

Archived