IGNORED

Da Silva - Hold Up?

WAHGS.

1 minute ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The one thing of which I’m confident is that SL and LJ will have met/will meet and discuss everything relating to budgets, targets, player salaries and indeed LJ’s own contract. Neither of them will use local media as a method of communicating to the other (as has happened during other managerial regimes). We’ll only find out when SL is ready for us to know.

These days SL steers a watertight ship, not a leaky one. 

People are taking LJ's aspiration as settled club policy. Worth remembering that LJ went on to say something like "or at least that's what I'll say in my presentation to the Board". 

I assume that has happened but we won't know for a while if the Board agreed.

35 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Where have you got the idea that the fee ‘expires’ end of May. Unless it was written into the loan agreement it’ll be all summer. 

Cause it is part of the loan agreement, that’s how these deals work. On June 1st the loan expires, clause and all, and he officially goes back to Chelsea. 

This isn’t a gentlemen’s agreement, it’s a set-in-stone clause in the loan contract. No loan contract, no £2m deal. 

33 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Maybe I am wrong on how this works but I would imagine we had until 31st May to confirm to Chelsea we want to trigger the pre-agreed fee. I would imagine there would be a slightly longer period to then get the signing wrapped up. I don't know that though so I obviously could be wrong. 

Even then, I’m not sure. Thinking of it, it makes no sense for Jay not to sign regardless of what he wants to do. We could just do a Frankfurt, sign him for the pre-agreed peanuts fee then sell him on for a big profit. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The transfer window when the ground rebuild was going on was the best.  Someone watching the ground rebuild cam on 24 hour delay, looking for a pixelated picture of someone possibly holding up a shirt in the stand....and then the guesswork as to who it was.

Those were the days.

oh those were the days, fond times    #nostalgia

Lloyd Kelly signing for Bournemouth was the exception rather than the rule.  These days most transfers rarely happen just after the end of the season. If a player is in demand it makes sense to wait and see if there’s a better deal somewhere 

26 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Lloyd Kelly signing for Bournemouth was the exception rather than the rule.  These days most transfers rarely happen just after the end of the season. If a player is in demand it makes sense to wait and see if there’s a better deal somewhere 

I agree with you but I also wonder how much of it is that clubs are more PR savvy and want to maximise the timing of signing announcements to get the most publicity. Right now, everyone is focused of the FA Cup final and the play-offs.

It probably suits clubs for fans to speculate and be clamouring for signings and then to make the announcement in the build-up for pre-season because it builds fan excitement, shifts season tickets to people who are still wavering and helps to feed merchandise sales etc. I think you are right that it makes sense for players to wait if they are in demand but I also think clubs often delay on announcing signings at this time of year so they can get the maximum publicity and buzz when the deal is agreed. Even if we had signed Jay Da Silva already, I reckon the club would be quite happy to have some fans clamouring for him to come back and hold off then release a social media video in mid-June. If Kalas or Da Silva do sign for us - and I have no idea if they will - I would not be at all surprised if the first time we see them is wearing a new away kit which goes on sale that day. 

23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree with you but I also wonder how much of it is that clubs are more PR savvy and want to maximise the timing of signing announcements to get the most publicity. Right now, everyone is focused of the FA Cup final and the play-offs.

It probably suits clubs for fans to speculate and be clamouring for signings and then to make the announcement in the build-up for pre-season because it builds fan excitement, shifts season tickets to people who are still wavering and helps to feed merchandise sales etc. I think you are right that it makes sense for players to wait if they are in demand but I also think clubs often delay on announcing signings at this time of year so they can get the maximum publicity and buzz when the deal is agreed. Even if we had signed Jay Da Silva already, I reckon the club would be quite happy to have some fans clamouring for him to come back and hold off then release a social media video in mid-June. If Kalas or Da Silva do sign for us - and I have no idea if they will - I would not be at all surprised if the first time we see them is wearing a new away kit which goes on sale that day. 

Very likely

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Bournemouth said they got in early because there was competition for him.

I imagine Ashton would have rung any interested clubs and invited them to match or beat Bournemouth's bid. In which case we probably got as much as we were going to.

1 hour ago, Wade Wilson said:

Cause it is part of the loan agreement, that’s how these deals work. On June 1st the loan expires, clause and all, and he officially goes back to Chelsea. 

This isn’t a gentlemen’s agreement, it’s a set-in-stone clause in the loan contract. No loan contract, no £2m deal. 

Even then, I’m not sure. Thinking of it, it makes no sense for Jay not to sign regardless of what he wants to do. We could just do a Frankfurt, sign him for the pre-agreed peanuts fee then sell him on for a big profit. 

You’re pretending to know how the ins and outs of a football contract works, when you don’t. 

4 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

On June 1st the loan expires, clause and all, and he officially goes back to Chelsea. 

However we've supposedly triggered the £2m clause within the contract date, so even if negotiations took a couple of months it all stemmed from triggering the clause at £2m within the date.

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

However we've supposedly triggered the £2m clause within the contract date, so even if negotiations took a couple of months it all stemmed from triggering the clause at £2m within the date.

I hope that’s the case, gets a bit murky though. If he’s waiting to see what else happens, that’s a problem anyway.

1 minute ago, Wade Wilson said:

I hope that’s the case, gets a bit murky though. If he’s waiting to see what else happens, that’s a problem anyway.

think its probably a case of Chelsea realise after his season with us he's worth more than £2m so are hoping someone will come in for him to be able to accept their offer. Jay's agent also realises it and has probably had a word saying something like you've got a move to City in the bag, why not wait a few weeks and see if someone bigger wants you, if no one looks like making the move before pre-season training starts then make the move.

I'm not so sure we would have let Kelly go if JDS was not a done deal.

Interestingly, I actually think Jay looks a better prospect than Danny Rose did at his age and look what happened there.

I'm certain that City and JDS are a perfect match at the moment - he was really starting to prove himself at the end of the season and another season here will give him the oportunity to showcase his talents as first choice LB.

8 hours ago, WAHGS. said:

What’s the hold up on Da Silva?

If he was going to come here it’d be straight forward. He knows the City, knows the squad and manager, we have a deal in place for him so what’s the wait?

I’m a bit concerned, I think it’d have been done by now if he was staying.

The transfer window is closed until july

9 hours ago, WAHGS. said:

What’s the hold up on Da Silva?

If he was going to come here it’d be straight forward. He knows the City, knows the squad and manager, we have a deal in place for him so what’s the wait?

I’m a bit concerned, I think it’d have been done by now if he was staying.

Good point but would imagine his agents holding out for better offers or terms.

Archived