IGNORED

Lucy Graham

old_eastender

Not ITK but I did see a tweet from Man Utd Ladies in amongst the general praise - maybe that's the move? Man Utd won the race to the WSL for next season, so it could be familiar faces time.

Lucy has certainly been one of the better players in the squad this past season and an international too, so not perhaps surprising that she has left. The pattern appears all too obvious that City Women are not the sort of club that can keep that sort of talent in the face of much better funded teams (the usual suspects are to be found in both genders). Shame but that's the law in this jungle. We sit awaiting the player movements in the close season here too.

They are applying to go into the Gloucestershire County Women’s Football League, with a separate U-18 side too. It will be a few rungs below the WSL and I dare say will not be the full professional outfit as required at the top these days.

10 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

They are applying to go into the Gloucestershire County Women’s Football League, with a separate U-18 side too. It will be a few rungs below the WSL and I dare say will not be the full professional outfit as required at the top these days.

Along with such illustrious teams as Cheltenham Civil Service Ladies and St Nicholas Ladies Reserves.

I am all for taking the proverbial out of Rovers; we do, after all, have a dedicated thread for this.

Nevertheless, I am not at all comfortable at belittling Womens football in general, and dismissing teams such as Cheltenham Civil Service Ladies and St Nicholas Ladies Reserves is surely unneccessary - if they can get young women playing football, whatever the standard, then that must surely be applauded.  

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am all for taking the proverbial out of Rovers; we do, after all, have a dedicated thread for this.

Nevertheless, I am not at all comfortable at belittling Womens football in general, and dismissing teams such as Cheltenham Civil Service Ladies and St Nicholas Ladies Reserves is surely unneccessary - if they can get young women playing football, whatever the standard, then that must surely be applauded.  

I think such sides you refer to should be regarded the same as men's amateur teams, neither applauded or derided.

The level of interest in the game is evidenced by the number of posts on this thread i'm afraid despite the hype.

8 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I think such sides you refer to should be regarded the same as men's amateur teams, neither applauded or derided.

The level of interest in the game is evidenced by the number of posts on this thread i'm afraid despite the hype.

Point taken, and whilst I should perhaps have said 'respected' rather than 'applauded', I maintain that womens football, no matter what level, should be given every encouragement.

I must admit that I am not a great fan, although I do try to watch England in major tournaments, but I just considerate it 'unfortunate' when I hear/read of it being ridiculed, especially when this is acompanied by the usual sexist comments, e.g. God, She's ugly or I'd give her one. 

16 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm not sure how I'm belittling women's football by mentioning the teams that they will be sharing a division with next season? As @Loon plage has alluded to above, I was simply mentioning them to highlight the (amateur) level that they will be joining, as compared to the fully professional level that City play at.

2 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I'm not sure how I'm belittling women's football by mentioning the teams that they will be sharing a division with next season? As @Loon plage has alluded to above, I was simply mentioning them to highlight the (amateur) level that they will be joining, as compared to the fully professional level that City play at.

It wasn't just mentioning them, though, was it?

....Along with such illustrious teams as....seemed somewhat sarcastic to me, but perhaps I was overreacting.

Anyway, no hard feelings.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It wasn't just mentioning them, though, was it?

....Along with such illustrious teams as....seemed somewhat sarcastic to me, but perhaps I was overreacting.

Anyway, no hard feelings.

Well, yes, I was of course being sarcastic. They clearly aren't illustrious teams. But I only did so to highlight the fact that they would be joining what is clearly an amateur league. 

That's no slight on any of the women that play in that league or for those teams mentioned, in the same way that if the 15ers went bust and then joined the Western League I wouldn't be belittling the players of Roman Glass St. George or Shortwood United if I used them as an example of how much further down the leagues they were than City.

But yes, no hard feelings :)

20 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Point taken, and whilst I should perhaps have said 'respected' rather than 'applauded', I maintain that womens football, no matter what level, should be given every encouragement.

I must admit that I am not a great fan, although I do try to watch England in major tournaments, but I just considerate it 'unfortunate' when I hear/read of it being ridiculed, especially when this is acompanied by the usual sexist comments, e.g. God, She's ugly or I'd give her one. 

Have you not seen/heard similar comments from some of our female fans, not only towards City players, but footballers in general?

I certainly have btw.

Archived