IGNORED

Unpopular Opinions

bcfctim

The underlying problem is how a ESL would compete with domestic football, and how players split themselves between domestic/international football and playing in a franchised system.

I can't see a ESL ever happening because FIFA/UEFA would tell any player involved that playing in an external franchised league system would mean they are no longer eligible to play for their national team, and I can't see many players wanting to sacrifice their national team future to play for a bit more money.

If all sides can somehow get around this, I share your belief that the domestic game (in this country at least) won't suffer with the loss of the European giants. IMO, it'd been business as usual for most of us.

On 20/05/2019 at 07:00, bcfctim said:

As we enter the quiet period of the year, thought this might be a good idea as a thread to keep people amused between hourly refreshes of the Transfer Forum and desperate exclamations as to our lack of ambition because we haven't yet signed A.New Striker/DaSilva/Kalas/Reece James/Fernandinho

I'll start: with something I've thought for a while but may well be in a minority of 1. I think a European Super League would be a great thing for football.

1. All of the tourists and mercenaries and month-long Twitter sagas over whether Paul Pogba has changed his boot sponsors and everything else people hate about modern football would be hoovered up and taken away to another room where if we don't like it we don't have to look at it.

2. What remains of the domestic game may return to some semblance of normality. A return to a genuine meritocracy where you couldn't be sure before the start of each new season exactly who was going to finish where. The opportunity for anyone within reason to have a shot at challenging with a combination of talented coaching or players or both alone. The chance for the FA Cup to return to some of its former glory.

One of the most popular refrains you hear in recent times is how the Championship is actually a lot more fun to be a part of as a football fan than the Premier League. But, as fans, we live with the constant paradox of the entire point of the exercise being to get from where we like being to where we don't like being, and without that quest the whole thing would cease to be enjoyable.

But if the elite broke away, we would be left with the best of both worlds: all the competitiveness and "real-fan" culture of the Championship without having to sacrifice it for the sake of glory or accomplishment.

3. It would represent a huge opportunity for Bristol City to take a giant leap forward as a football club virtually overnight. You look at who would be left, teams like Everton, West Ham, Newcastle would now be the cream of the crop. With our development and newfound professionalism on and off the pitch and as a genuine big City club with a huge catchment area, we may finally after all these years be in a position to capitalise on our status as that horrible phrase: Sleeping Giants. We could genuinely, if the stars aligned, be capable of competing with the above clubs as real contenders at the pinnacle of the English game. 

This could be, and for any of you Gasheads reading frothing at the mouth I am exaggerating for the sake of argument, our version of Man Utd appointing Sir Alex Ferguson in 1986. Coming into our prime as a football club just on the brink of the biggest shakeup to the professional game since 92.

And I haven't even mentioned that as someone who enjoys watching football as well as being a football fan, I find the prospect of a European League intriguing. Who would, over the course of a full league season, come on top out of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Man City, PSG, Liverpool? I genuinely have no idea. And that would be really exciting as a spectacle. Would anyone come to dominate? Or would, with a closed system akin to that of the NFL, we see something resembling parity - itself a good thing? I'd love to find out.

So, yeah. Any thoughts - or anyone reckon they can one-up that?

Just found the Bolton thread and might as well just copy the link - it's an argument all in itself.

People talk about wage caps, scrapping parachute payments - these things will never happen in a million years unless the big clubs break away.

The system's broken. This is the way to fix it.

Everytime the subject of a European League comes up people say the same thing: "It would be the death of football".

It's the polar opposite - it would be the rebirth.

"Classic example of the big club's greed"

Yes. Exactly. So let them **** off. I can't understand why anyone would want to fight to keep them around.

What's the biggest problem with the game? The Sky money at the top distorting the competition. 

What's the biggest complaint about the ESL? All the Sky money would go out of the game.

Why does nobody seem to get it? It's the perfect solution.

54 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

What's the biggest problem with the game? The Sky money at the top distorting the competition. 

What's the biggest complaint about the ESL? All the Sky money would go out of the game.

Why does nobody seem to get it? It's the perfect solution.

I think a European Super League would lose its appeal after 2 or 3 years & would be horrible for the fans of these clubs. 

Your sit at home TV supporters would love it, but fans who actually go to games would be priced out even further than they already are. 

I love being in the Championship.

Teams can finish in the POs one year and struggle the next, and vice versa. Good well managed teams that just click can go up, we don’t know what the top six will be before we start. Just about every game is competitive.

No, we should not ‘go for it’ mortgaging the future of the club. There will always be teams in this league with more money than us. If promotion happens it happens. Would love it of course, but not gutted if we don’t.

This is one of the best, most competitive, and well support leagues in the world. It’s actually ok.

28 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Teams can finish in the POs one year and struggle the next, and vice versa. Good well managed teams that just click can go up, we don’t know what the top six will be before we start. Just about every game is competitive.

No, we should not ‘go for it’ mortgaging the future of the club. There will always be teams in this league with more money than us. If promotion happens it happens. Would love it of course, but not gutted if we don’t.

This is one of the best, most competitive, and well support leagues in the world. It’s actually ok.

Thanks for that Steve - how long have you been posting as city exile ( don't think I'd regard Guernsey as exile though!) :)

10 hours ago, cityexile said:

Me too. The championship is the best league to watch. More competitive with a real chance to win any match and to rise up the ranks over the years. Cheaper season ticket prices and tickets reliably available if you want to take friends or family. Easy to get away tickets.

In the prem, getting up to mid table would be an amazing achievement for us and every season we'd face a real prospect of a relegation struggle. We'd watch way more losses and go home pissed off far more often.

5 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Aden Flint wasn't actually that good as a defender.

Albert Adomah wasn't that great either, he used to leave huge gaps in our team.

Completely agree with Adomah. Defensively he was woeful and never tracked back. For this reason, he would never fit into an LJ side. 

Opinions are like Assholes. Some are unpopular.

If the time comes and we actually end up getting promoted to the Premier League, I think we're woefully underprepared. Fulham have shown that spunking £100m on a brand new team doesn't mean survival in the top-flight, but many other teams have shown that building the structure of a Premier League team while in the Championship and replacing with top-quality players when in the top-flight is the best way to go.

This leads me to the point that I mention every time that FFP is brought up. If the fans are worried about FFP, then we're in no position to worry about promotion. We can barely afford to be competitive in the Championship, and until we can, I worry that we'll drop out of the Premier League like a stone.

A couple of general ones from me...

- Football fans and media are incapable of properly judging performances, they’re always influenced too much by the result.

- The recent Premier League title race was really dull. Truly great sport requires great drama and great drama requires unpredictability - the two teams at the top of a league winning literally every game for weeks on end is not that. Sport thrives on defeat.

4 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Opinions are like Assholes. Some are unpopular.

If the time comes and we actually end up getting promoted to the Premier League, I think we're woefully underprepared. Fulham have shown that spunking £100m on a brand new team doesn't mean survival in the top-flight, but many other teams have shown that building the structure of a Premier League team while in the Championship and replacing with top-quality players when in the top-flight is the best way to go.

This leads me to the point that I mention every time that FFP is brought up. If the fans are worried about FFP, then we're in no position to worry about promotion. We can barely afford to be competitive in the Championship, and until we can, I worry that we'll drop out of the Premier League like a stone.

Don''t think there is a right time IMO.

Sheffield United are woefully underprepared many would say given they were losing in playoffs in League One under Clough three seasons ago in their BW aka 2016- say 2016 BW (Before Wilder), but given their low cost model or relatively low cost model at any rate, if they don't go and throw it up the wall they could easily transform into a Burnley. So too could Cardiff or Huddersfield if run correctly- but especially Huddersfield, though Cardiff have a higher ceiling.

Bournemouth- they spent a lot and yes broke FFP but they still have and especially have had League One players in the PL!

I can't think that there is a right time. Certainly a lot of the players Fulham brought or loaned came from a higher footballing background than Bournemouth or Burnley when they came up- though it is not a model to follow, the Fulham one- absolutely not!

On 21/05/2019 at 18:35, bcfctim said:

Everytime the subject of a European League comes up people say the same thing: "It would be the death of football".

It's the polar opposite - it would be the rebirth.

"Classic example of the big club's greed"

Yes. Exactly. So let them **** off. I can't understand why anyone would want to fight to keep them around.

Doesn't take much thought. Why did we sell out so easily against Man City and Man Utd? You might not miss them, but it's straightforward why others would.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Three from me;

1. I don`t really mind if we don`t get to the Premier League

2. I hate cider, the mere thought of it makes me urge

3. I hate derbies with the s*gs and would be happy if we never played them again

Thatchers is rank. Cider should be farm scrumpy or nothing. 

Archived