IGNORED

Lee Johnson on Radio Bristol

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Best news from interview surely is that (1) LJ didn't count this season as improvement and wants promotion next, and (2) is looking to recruit at potential premiership level of player.  100% agree with that.  But will the club back him, for that's the real question.

Which is pretty much the question LJ is publicly asking. Rightly so imo.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wasn't terribly enthused at the time I don't think.

Our recruitment is and has been hit and miss. We compounded this by no January loan to a suitable club 

I totally agree and I wasn’t overly excited by Eisa either. I’m pretty sure that plenty of others were though. 

You’re right about our recruitment too. I’ve said it before but I still don’t believe a club like us should be spending £1m plus on players like Moore, Bakinson etc. only to loan them out and in many cases never actually play them. I can see why we do it but more need to end up in the first team than currently do imo. 

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Might as well move all 21 year olds that don't get in then if they have to be good enough now.

Very few will step up from academy to first team regular in relation the the amount released . It doesn’t happen at any club in that respect . In my opinion vyner and TM will end up league 1-2 players longterm . I hope I’m wrong though. Semenyo and bakinson are on another level ability wise as was joe , bobby and Lloyd. 

10 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Very few will step up from academy to first team regular in relation the the amount released . It doesn’t happen at any club in that respect . In my opinion vyner and TM will end up league 1-2 players longterm . I hope I’m wrong though. Semenyo and bakinson are on another level ability wise as was joe , bobby and Lloyd. 

RC Lens who we signed him from is a pretty good academy. England U19 international was he- not convinced Southend was the best move for him, not all players develop the same way.

However true, the proportion who make it really is not all that- ability, development, mentality, whatever no great % make it at most clubs and certainly none in UK that can think of.

Vyner I have a bit more hope for- worked his way up the Leagues, can slot in at RB and CB. Age still on his side.

Semenyo- don't think recalling him has helped him at all. Did Roos make a save from him v Derby?

Playing him that position v Leeds from the start ill-advised IMO, well though he did off the bench at Preston.

49 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I think you may indeed be over thinking in that he means Kalas can work with Wright or Webster as circumstances require - 3 at the back, injuries, suspensions etc.

LJ is again throwing down the gauntlet to the club though. He has delivered his side of the bargain so far and expects them to go to the next level now.

:clap:                           Got the impression that if they didn't it may cause him to re-think his position .

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

:clap:                           Got the impression that if they didn't it may cause him to re-think his position .

Yeah I hope so...he had done a fantastic job for this club...hope he gets backed this summer 

38 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Any reason why he doesn't go on 'the debate'? 

I think part of it is that he’s too open and honest.  Would open himself up to too much stick.  Fine when you’re talking about your own team and players, but other teams and their players is a different matter.

27 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I totally agree and I wasn’t overly excited by Eisa either. I’m pretty sure that plenty of others were though. 

You’re right about our recruitment too. I’ve said it before but I still don’t believe a club like us should be spending £1m plus on players like Moore, Bakinson etc. only to loan them out and in many cases never actually play them. I can see why we do it but more need to end up in the first team than currently do imo. 

I wouldn’t say I was excited, but I did like him finishing...a passer into the net, off either foot, that I thought with chances could finish.  I did think £1.5m was too much, it’s Cheltenham we were buying off not Peterborough, but he hadn’t been given a true chance.  Injury didn’t help.  But I would be lying if I said I thought it was an awful signing at the time.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Vyner is already playing very well in the championship and only just last week turned 22. And that's playing out of position. 

Moore has great potential still. Same age as Vyner. Been outstanding by all accounts in league one. If a 21-22 year old centre back plays brilliantly in league one, then I expect them to step up to championship within a few years. Young players improve.

I think playing brilliantly is over stretching it a touch. He got left out at times and vyner came under a lot of stick from Rotherham fans at times. I did say I hope I’m wrong but if you listened to LJ you get the impression neither will be part of the squad next season. 

11 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I bumped into Steve Cotterill a few weeks ago and got chatting to him about City and his time at the club. He made it clear that SL failed to back him and sanction the transfers of Gayle and Gray after he had convinced them to join City in principle. He felt that the momentum following promotion would have given him a greater chance of a promotion push.

I still think he feels bitter at what transpired that summer and the lack of signings was due to lack of backing from the club

He got what he asked for when he built the league 1 promotion team but they wouldn’t back him on this occasion which ultimately caused a rift and a breakdown in the relationship with the board and SL

I hope I don’t bump into LJ and end up having a similar conversation in the future

10 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I don't always agree with LJ , but I am pleased he does not feel there was progression this season. He is right , we got a few points more, scored a lot less. He also rightly points out that he needs  5 or 6 players that can jump to Prem level if promoted. He is right again even more. He should have a side built around Kelly, Reid, Bryan etc instead of selling them, and they must waste less on players that are never going to reach the required level, as ultimately those failed signings were a contributing factor to having to sell Reid and Bryan . Unpoplular to many, but those signings cost money, money that impacts on FFP and  caused players to be sold, LJ cannot have that . I was sad to see Kelly go, as I wanted him to be at the heart of LJ team. Kalas nice to sign, but at what cost, and is he a Prem player ? This summer going to be again a tough summer, as so many player changes again. I do hope we find a couple of Webster level signings not the endless other type. I hope LJ gets the 3 to 4 key players he needs. 

Great points. Your Mo Eisa, Taylor Moore, Liam Walsh, Adelakun type signings are a awful waste of resources. They need to stop.

56 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I bumped into Steve Cotterill a few weeks ago and got chatting to him about City and his time at the club. He made it clear that SL failed to back him and sanction the transfers of Gayle and Gray after he had convinced them to join City in principle. He felt that the momentum following promotion would have given him a greater chance of a promotion push.

I still think he feels bitter at what transpired that summer and the lack of signings was due to lack of backing from the club

He got what he asked for when he built the league 1 promotion team but they wouldn’t back him on this occasion which ultimately caused a rift and a breakdown in the relationship with the board and SL

I hope I don’t bump into LJ and end up having a similar conversation in the future

I had pretty much the same conversation with SC at David Lloyd in Long Ashton ... he really thought that with a bit more serious backing he’d have done better in the championship ...

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I had pretty much the same conversation with SC at David Lloyd in Long Ashton ... he really thought that with a bit more serious backing he’d have done better in the championship ...

And that attitude cost him his job.

24 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Great points. Your Mo Eisa, Taylor Moore, Liam Walsh, Adelakun type signings are a awful waste of resources. They need to stop.

They certainly do we've splashed far to much on chancers last few windows as mentioned above we could have bought that striker that wud of made the difference. Still we will see this summer if LJ can talk the talk and all the walk... 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nah, Walsh can play ....

Reading between the lines or considering what LJ did not say about Liam Walsh, it's not that he can't play, but a case of knuckling down and doing the right things.

I remember when Houllier reportedly took one young Steven Gerrard aside and told him some home truths about himself and his attitude. The result was the making of a very good career.

I guess that Walsh is probably at the same fork in the road and it's his decisions now which will determine if he takes the best direction for his career.

18 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

They certainly do we've splashed far to much on chancers last few windows as mentioned above we could have bought that striker that wud of made the difference. Still we will see this summer if LJ can talk the talk and all the walk... 

Why do you and others keep writing off our youngsters? They haven’t reached their potential yet so to write them off is ridiculous. 

What level was Aden Flint playing at when he was 21-22? Very low down is the answer.

Wise up and realise that youngsters improve 

23 minutes ago, maxjak said:

So asking to be backed cost him his job?

He was sacked after he’d not implemented SLs development strategy and went to SL saying ‘ I’ve got all I can out of the current squad’  and asked for funds to buy Gayle.......not long afterwards he was gone.

It was a simple matter of Lansdown not supporting him. There was far more to it than that.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He was sacked after he’d not implemented SLs development strategy and went to SL saying ‘ I’ve got all I can out of the current squad’  and asked for funds to buy Gayle.......not long afterwards he was gone.

It was a simple matter of Lansdown not supporting him. There was far more to it than that.

I remember a lot of us at the time were worried at the lack of activity. Seems like there wasn't a plan B or C after Maguire, Lees, Gayle, Gray etc.

I think his stubbornness ruined his relationship with SL and eventually cost him his job. We had a decent squad and IMO failed to utilise it.

2 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes unfortunately watkins got another year on good wages

Still think offering him back to Barnsley either as loan with wages covered and fee or even better sold a way to go.

Because while not at our level or Norwich's level, there is in certain setups a reasonable player in there. Probably more lower mid table level or more direct football and Wigan perhaps? Millwall?

Certainly don't see them- him and Baker- as impossible to shift, but it may be tricky.

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Good point made about Liam Walsh's passes with spin. I remember an excellent pass he made with back spin. I'd thought modern balls didn't do this it had been so long since I'd seen one with that much spin. So many times Pack and co have passed long balls forward only for them to run out of play

Secondly, how good looking must Lloyd Kelly's GF be? He's  a good looking, intelligent guy on a premier league wage and he's punching above his weight?!? She must be a tad tasty 

I'm hoping that she's a Bristol girl ………………. one of our own???

403955.jpg

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I remember a lot of us at the time were worried at the lack of activity. Seems like there wasn't a plan B or C after Maguire, Lees, Gayle, Gray etc.

I think his stubbornness ruined his relationship with SL and eventually cost him his job. We had a decent squad and IMO failed to utilise it.

It's easy to say now I guess but a bit of pragmatism and he may have reaped the rewards of the higher revenue from 2016/17 onwards- and especially the proceeds of the Kodjia sale!

Who knows where we would be then. It's funny though, because looking man for man and certainly age range, were Sheffield United of 2016/17 and the subsequent season under WIlder- who played a very similar style to us- so different ability wise to that first season under Cotts but in particular our promotion season? Maybe Wilder played with a bit more pragmatism but very similar styles in all honesty.

Archived