IGNORED

Lee Johnson on Radio Bristol

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's easy to say now I guess but a bit of pragmatism and he may have reaped the rewards of the higher revenue from 2016/17 onwards- and especially the proceeds of the Kodjia sale!

Who knows where we would be then. It's funny though, because looking man for man and certainly age range, were Sheffield United of 2016/17 and the subsequent season under WIlder- who played a very similar style to us- so different ability wise to that first season under Cotts but in particular our promotion season? Maybe Wilder played with a bit more pragmatism but very similar styles in all honesty.

Exactly this. Cotterill was given no less backing than Wilder with a very similar squad playing an almost identical system. Difference is: one threw his toys out of the pram and the other knuckled down and got on with the job. That's why Chris Wilder is now a Premier League manager and Steve Cotterill is still out of a job, whining to fans about how hard done by he is.

He came very close to undoing all of the great work he did getting us up in the first place. Thankfully, we clung on by the skin of our teeth and have now got ourselves back on track, but we wasted 2 or 3 years in the process.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

What on earth are you on about?  You really don’t get it do you.............:cool2:

Quite obvious if you look at what happens at Bristol City. The sixth largest city in England could but doesn't deliver Premiership football. Ask yourself why.

By "it" , I take it you mean your opinion?   

Other people can have their opinions you know.

SL is our benefactor. The price we pay is that he also our greatest obstacle to the ultimate prize.

urggh urggh urggh.jpg

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Quite obvious if you look at what happens at Bristol City. The sixth largest city in England could but doesn't deliver Premiership football. Ask yourself why.

By "it" , I take it you mean your opinion?   

Other people can have their opinions you know.

Not my opinion but the facts of that SLs strategy of sustainability and stability are beginning to bear fruit - that’s what you don’t get.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not my opinion but the facts of that SLs strategy of sustainability and stability are beginning to bear fruit - that’s what you don’t get.

'Beginning to bear fruit" (you sound like Jim Callaghan - "the inevitability of gradualness")

Even if that were true (and I believe that last season showed that it isn't, as we turned our back on Promotion), are you thinking you can wait another hundred years for another Alan Dicks to magically appear and take us to where we should be?

Signs are that LJ is showing some spunk (calm down that's what they call it in the USA) let's see how long he sticks around if a Club owned and run by people with genuine ambition come calling.

12 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

'Beginning to bear fruit" (you sound like Jim Callaghan - "the inevitability of gradualness")

Even if that were true (and I believe that last season showed that it isn't, as we turned our back on Promotion), are you thinking you can wait another hundred years for another Alan Dicks to magically appear and take us to where we should be?

Signs are that LJ is showing some spunk (calm down that's what they call it in the USA) let's see how long he sticks around if a Club owned and run by people with genuine ambition come calling.

Well he’s just signed a new four year deal so he’ll be walking away from a small fortune.

16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Well he’s just signed a new four year deal so he’ll be walking away from a small fortune.

...and with a 4 year contract in place we'd get a small fortune in compensation if he did go of his own choice.

• Admin
38 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

That’s what’s being reported. I have not yet seen it on the OS so , of course, can’t be hundred percent certain.

Curious where it's being reported @Major Isewater

Only reason I say, someone else earlier said the same thing to me, it turned out they had heard part of the Pat Lam news and assumed it was LJ

17 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

That is very bad news. Sure he needed a new contract , as any football ,manager does, but 4 years is nonsense 

Not necessarily.

It could be as much to protect the club as to give LJ greater security. If LJ is viewed as a bright young coach ( which he is by many in the football world) and therefore potentially attractive to bigger clubs, then the 4 year contract will mean we would get bigger compensation  if LJ choses to leave.

Im sure some fans would be concerned by him having a 4 year contract if things go tits up and he is sacked, but I think Im right in saying that managers now often have contracts where the amount of pay off for sacking is pre-determined, so is not determined by the length of contract remaining.

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

Curious where it's being reported @Major Isewater

Only reason I say, someone else earlier said the same thing to me, it turned out they had heard part of the Pat Lam news and assumed it was LJ

There is a link on a OTIB thread , I don’t remember the name of site , I’m sorry.

The article was definitely for Lee and not Lam .

22 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Steve Lansdown should be very cautious with his money and don't get carried away. One swallow doesn't make a summer. Would Liverpool have reached the CL final with City's attitude in home games at the end of the season?

Yes, he is "learning" at the age of 40 but he pissed a golden chance due to negativity   

Tommy. The bars not open yet?

Without wishing to sound patronising, that makes a good deal of sense. 

On 21/05/2019 at 11:11, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listening to the interview yesterday and listening to it again now- truthfully I often read his comments or MA's comments and actually filter out a lot of football comments because in the industry, people can spin it etc.

He talks a very good game. An excellent game- says many of the right things. Many good things- yet I wonder about some of the gap between rhetoric and actions. These aren't exact quotes but they are close enough to convey the meaning.

"We need PL players", not the exact quote but basically that. We therefore rule out or overlook Championship players who maybe good at this level but not necessarily PL level do we? About improvement- if stepping stone players such as good Championship performers help us reach a certain point, if their experience perhaps also helps our younger players it seems a bit rigid. Would be stupid to look to rule out such players, aiming for the PL though we are.

"A reason for home form is sides come and play for draw". Some do- maybe even a small majority but by no means all. That's a myth- and not always seen in the most expected places. Two examples, Ipswich were more positive than they would have been expected by far and we were lucky to draw.  Wigan set a tone earey by winning 2 free kicks and getting it forward- not quite a lesser side coming for a draw. Bolton and QPR most definitely were, but even e.g. Rotherham were more positive than expected, albeit not as much as the first 2 and especially not 2nd half. Obviously top sides didn't- do we think the top 3 came for draws? I certainly don't.

Some games where we had more possession still saw positive counterattacking- aggressively positive counterattacking- think Preston first half, but also Middlesbrough first half and Birmingham in general." Certain teams of course did but I don't think it was as wide an occurrence as LJ claims personally from memory. I missed the Derby game and I know we were unlucky in defeat in a few games but still. The quote in q was in the context of response to the difference between home and away form. He has a point, but I think possibly an exaggerated one looking at home games individually and on their merit.

Two examples- but in general I think the gap between talking and doing can be evident at times.

As ‘Colin’ says LJ talks a good game. Very good.

This next management phase is about translating talk to delivery.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Not necessarily.

It could be as much to protect the club as to give LJ greater security. If LJ is viewed as a bright young coach ( which he is by many in the football world) and therefore potentially attractive to bigger clubs, then the 4 year contract will mean we would get bigger compensation  if LJ choses to leave.

Im sure some fans would be concerned by him having a 4 year contract if things go tits up and he is sacked, but I think Im right in saying that managers now often have contracts where the amount of pay off for sacking is pre-determined, so is not determined by the length of contract remaining.

LJ could have a 20 year contract, if a better option for him arises he will go just like a player does mid contract. As for compensation what would that be ? nothing like the transfer fee of a good player and I daresay SL would want a demotivated coach a lot less than a demotivated player.

I'm not so sure LJ is as highly rated as he likes to portray incidentally as he hasn't really been linked with any of the recent vacancies which could be seen as step ups.

Long contract works one way only in terms of managers, and it ain't towards the employer.

I personally see no reason to give him 4 years but SL has a soft spot for him that's for sure, and deserves to be proven right for all the trust he has placed in him.

58 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

LJ could have a 20 year contract, if a better option for him arises he will go just like a player does mid contract. As for compensation what would that be ? nothing like the transfer fee of a good player and I daresay SL would want a demotivated coach a lot less than a demotivated player.

I'm not so sure LJ is as highly rated as he likes to portray incidentally as he hasn't really been linked with any of the recent vacancies which could be seen as step ups.

Long contract works one way only in terms of managers, and it ain't towards the employer.

I personally see no reason to give him 4 years but SL has a soft spot for him that's for sure, and deserves to be proven right for all the trust he has placed in him.

I think a 4 year contract is more a statement of intent than anything else.

Stability and continuity breeds confidence and hopefully continued progress 

11 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I think a 4 year contract is more a statement of intent than anything else.

Stability and continuity breeds confidence and hopefully continued progress 

I see that point of course, although I think a better statement of intent would be to really go for it in the transfer and loan market along the lines that some of our more au fait FFP posters have alluded to.

Maybe we will....

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Not necessarily.

Correct

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Swansea rumoured to be getting £2m for Potter from Brighton.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Correct

Decent money.

Perhaps SL needs to think about starting a coaches/managers academy to develop our own with good sell on value

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Correct

There you go then Dave. If LJ improves again and gets poached City might get £2-3m and might have to spend that and more to get someone and their entire team to take the club forwards who would surely be in employment.

If LJ goes backwards and SL has enough, he may have to pay out that much in wages for the manager and his assistants unless of course LJ etc sort out another good job AND compensate another club to get the man and entourage the club needs.

Just seems a long extension to me but arguments for and against.

7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

There you go then Dave. If LJ improves again and gets poached City might get £2-3m and might have to spend that and more to get someone and their entire team to take the club forwards who would surely be in employment.

If LJ goes backwards and SL has enough, he may have to pay out that much in wages for the manager and his assistants unless of course LJ etc sort out another good job AND compensate another club to get the man and entourage the club needs.

Just seems a long extension to me but arguments for and against.

Think it’s called “swings and roundabouts”. If he’s still here in 3 years time, I suspect we are either in the Prem, or have had a couple of near misses....which is probably positive.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think it’s called “swings and roundabouts”. If he’s still here in 3 years time, I suspect we are either in the Prem, or have had a couple of near misses....which is probably positive.

I think he's here for 4 years unless poached wherever we are in the structure personally because SL believes he is the best man to deliver his vision.

12 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I think he's here for 4 years unless poached wherever we are in the structure personally because SL believes he is the best man to deliver his vision.

I’ve been as critical as anyone at times, but there aren’t many names out there that I think we could realistically bring in who I would have confidence in doing better.  I like the guy, he makes a few errors, but all managers will.

I saw last season as more progressive than 17/18, not just league position, but more because behind the scenes I think things were better, and we recruited well.

We are in a good place to kick on.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Managers change Clubs all the time before the end of a contract. If they're wanted a deal is done. 

My point is - Will LJ discover like others that under the present regime the Club's "ambitions"  are hollow and therefore lower than his?

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

I see that point of course, although I think a better statement of intent would be to really go for it in the transfer and loan market along the lines that some of our more au fait FFP posters have alluded to.

Maybe we will....

Well by giving him a 4 year deal the club are in my opinion endorsing LJ and intend to back him 100% in the transfer market this summer - I am waiting in anticipation!

22 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Well by giving him a 4 year deal the club are in my opinion endorsing LJ and intend to back him 100% in the transfer market this summer - I am waiting in anticipation!

Agree.  Really don’t think “backing him” means we’ll go mad though.  I’m expecting more astute signings that high-profile.  Might be the odd Webster-type, but I reckon clever use of loan market too.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve been as critical as anyone at times, but there aren’t many names out there that I think we could realistically bring in who I would have confidence in doing better.  I like the guy, he makes a few errors, but all managers will.

I saw last season as more progressive than 17/18, not just league position, but more because behind the scenes I think things were better, and we recruited well.

We are in a good place to kick on.

Ran out of likes Dave so give a "I hope so" instead !

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  Really don’t think “backing him” means we’ll go mad though.  I’m expecting more astute signings that high-profile.  Might be the odd Webster-type, but I reckon clever use of loan market too.

It also sends a message to players, both current and prospective ones, that there is stability at the club. Which can only be a positive message to send out.

Archived