IGNORED

Champions League final rule changes

phantom

• Admin

Some interesting one's being brought in, but does seem odd to make these changes for the final rather than from the start of a new tournament

1. Attacking players can no longer infiltrate defensive walls of three or more players at free-kicks. Instead, the attacking side must be at least 1m away from the wall or concede an indirect free-kick.
  2. Goal kicks and free-kicks inside your own box no longer have to leave the penalty area to be “in play” although the other side are not allowed inside the area until the ball has been made live.
  3. Drop balls can now be given straight to the goalkeeper if play was stopped inside the box. Outside the box, the ball will be dropped for the team that last touched it and all other players from both teams must be 4m away.
  4. If an attacking player uses his hand or arm to either score or create a goal-scoring chance, even if accidentally, it will be a handball offence and the goal wiped out. Any incident of the ball striking the arm above shoulder height will be handball, unless the player kicks or heads it against themselves. Handball will be deemed if any player has made  themselves “unnaturally bigger” - by throwing arms out. This is the “natural silhouette” interpretation.
  5. At a penalty, the goalkeeper now needs to have only one foot on the line when the kick is taken. Keepers are not allowed to touch the post, bar or net before the kick is taken.
  6. A substituted player MUST leave the pitch at the nearest point, rather than only on half-way as before. This should cut down time-wasting.
  7. Coaches and managers will now be handed red and yellow cards at all levels for misconduct. This happened in the EFL this season but not the Premier League
  8. The side winning the toss will have choice of kick-off OR ends
  9. In a change to Uefa regulations, up to 12 players will be allowed on the bench for European finals. Prem clubs are expected to stick with seven on the bench.

17 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Number 5 seems particularly pointless. Why on earth should a keeper not be allowed to touch the post or wobble the crossbar before the kick? 

I guess it’s to stop the goalie putting off the kicker, that can only be the reason? And he only needs to have one foot on the line, so I assume as long as he does he can take a massive stride forward towards the kicker?

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

Some interesting one's being brought in, but does seem odd to make these changes for the final rather than from the start of a new tournament

1. If an attacking player uses his hand or arm to either score or create a goal-scoring chance, even if accidentally, it will be a handball offence and the goal wiped out. Any incident of the ball striking the arm above shoulder height will be handball, unless the player kicks or heads it against themselves. Handball will be deemed if any player has made  themselves “unnaturally bigger” - by throwing arms out. This is the “natural silhouette” interpretation.

How does that happen then, or does it mean when a player is jumping?

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Number 5 seems particularly pointless. Why on earth should a keeper not be allowed to touch the post or wobble the crossbar before the kick? 

To be honest that does make sense to me. I've noticed some keepers pull down on the bar, giving it a pretty signifcant wobble. It probably moves up and down by at least 2-3cm on some occasions. If a penalty taker was to hit the bar on its downward wobble, it could be the difference between bar and in, and bar and out.

A tiny and unlikely margin I know, but a margin nonetheless!

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

I believe it simply means that if any part of your arm is above shoulder height, and the ball strikes it, it's handball. As in, something like this:

article-1342783-0C2B48B3000005DC-843_468x336.jpg

Yep so if the fa cup final used the same laws Watford would have got a penalty with the Kompany incident . It will be interesting how many of these laws the efl/premier league will be use in the future. 

2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

My arm stops at the shoulder...........

but it starts at the shoulder when you lift your arms above your head!

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Nothing on diving and feigning injury then.... 

The UEFA/Champions League are fully supportive of this continuing.

4 hours ago, Super said:

I like number 6

3 hours ago, Robin Goch said:

Absolutely love number 6. Let’s hope that’s enforced.

Cue players stood on the centre spot as they are being subbed, wasting time arguing with the referee as to which line is closest. :) 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Cue players stood on the centre spot as they are being subbed, wasting time arguing with the referee as to which line is closest. :) 

What it does mean though, is if a player leaves the field on the opposite side to the dugouts, he has to walk round the pitch to get there while the game is going on. Will be confusing for the linesman on the other side to see if the player walking along is actually involved in the game or not when giving offsides. Hence why substitutes when warming up are given tabards of a colour not used in the match.

12 hours ago, 54-46 said:

I thought #8 was already a thing?

It used to be, but it was changed so that the side winning the toss only gets to decide ends and then the other team automatically gets the kick off in the first half. Not sure why they changed it originally, or indeed why they've changed it back.

Archived