IGNORED

Champions League final rule changes

phantom

I hate 4, or any suggestion of penalising accidental “handball”. The whole point of the rule is to penalise players who cheat by deliberately using their arm to control the ball, not to penalise a defender who, in jumping for the ball, naturally raises his arms then gets hit by the ball (possibly from behind).

On 20/05/2019 at 12:31, phantom said:

Some interesting one's being brought in, but does seem odd to make these changes for the final rather than from the start of a new tournament

1. Attacking players can no longer infiltrate defensive walls of three or more players at free-kicks. Instead, the attacking side must be at least 1m away from the wall or concede an indirect free-kick

Says nothing about the defensive wall having to stay still; so I wonder if the defenders could move towards any attacking players just at the point of the kick being taken to get an easy free kick? All a bit like the old Arsenal back four offside trap?!

8 minutes ago, Laner said:

Says nothing about the defensive wall having to stay still; so I wonder if the defenders could move towards any attacking players just at the point of the kick being taken to get an easy free kick? All a bit like the old Arsenal back four offside trap?!

No, assuming the attacker is in front of them, they still have to stay the minimum distance away from the ball

48 minutes ago, Leveller said:

No, assuming the attacker is in front of them, they still have to stay the minimum distance away from the ball

Obviously they'd have to remain the minimum distance. I meant players to the left, right or behind, as I can't see that much of an advantage being gained by an attacker standing in front of the wall now? Often players only joined the wall the cause havoc and create  gaps - which is probably exactly the reason for the rule being brought in... avoid contact at set pieces and thus the need for refs to intervene or use VAR.

Archived