IGNORED

Ten Championship players Premier League clubs have on their radar (inc Webster)

elhombrecito

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2019/may/20/ten-championship-players-premier-league-clubs-have-on-radar-football

Jack Grealish (Aston Villa)
Yet to make a true impression on the top flight, Grealish knows he does not have forever. As a kid the Aston Villa captain celebrated goals in the back garden by jumping into the bushes, pretending to embrace the Holte End and, while he may be living the dream, it is difficult to envisage him settling for a fourth successive season in the second tier. With only 16 Premier League starts to his name, Grealish has unfinished business. The 23-year-old deserves a bigger stage and is a Wembley win away from getting one.

Daniel James (Swansea City)
The 21-year-old has enjoyed a rapid rise since failing to get a game in League One at Shrewsbury Town 18 months ago. As a result, that loan spell was cancelled but, these days, the Swansea and Wales winger has no shortage of admirers, including Manchester United. In March his slaloming runs and searing pace left Nicolás Otamendi queasy and the rest of the Manchester City defence on tenterhooks. “James is incredibly fast, it is not easy,” Pep Guardiola said, raising his eyebrows.

Jarrod Bowen (Hull City)
Across the past two seasons, Bowen has scored 37 goals – from the right wing. Comparisons with Arjen Robben may be overegging his talent but everything points towards Bowen, who was playing for free at Hereford United just five years ago, having a bright future. There is a belief that Bowen, a tenacious forward who has blossomed on the flank, will flourish at the highest level, as his former Hull City teammates Andy Robertson and Harry Maguire have done.

Ezri Konsa (Brentford)
After Lloyd Kelly’s £13m move to Bournemouth, Konsa and Middlesbrough’s Dael Fry are the only players from the most recent England Under-21 squad not on the books of a Premier League club. Brentford’s head coach, Thomas Frank, has acknowledged it is only a matter of time before the centre-back, a graduate of the Charlton academy, joins the former Brentford players James Tarkowski, John Egan and Chris Mepham, who was sold for £15m in January, in the top flight.

Danny Loader (Reading)
The Reading striker is the second-youngest name on this list. Prolific at youth level and a World Cup winner with England Under-17s, Loader has been on the radar of Bundesliga clubs and those closer to home, including Wolves, for some time. The 18-year-old still has only eight league starts to his name after making his full debut in November but his first senior goal, when he arrowed a piercing strike into the top corner at Middlesbrough in April, underlined his undoubted ability. His older brother, Ben, is a wing for London Irish.

Neal Maupay (Brentford)
Twenty-five goals later, top-flight interest in Maupay is a given. Only Teemu Pukki scored more goals in the normal season than the 22-year-old, a £1.6m signing from St Etienne two years ago on the back of an impressive loan spell with Brest. A willing runner, strong and happy to muck in, Maupay, who started his career under Claude Puel at Nice, has been ever present this season. Brentford will command a fee of around £20m this summer.

Saïd Benrahma (Brentford)
Yet another feather in the cap for Brentford’s scouting department. Signed from Nice last summer, Benrahma dazzled in his debut season in England, hitting double-figures in terms of goals and providing a league-high 14 assists, numbers that are even more impressive considering he started 63% of league matches. With quick feet and pace to burn, Benrahma – alongside Maupay and Ollie Watkins – forms one third of a tormenting attacking trident.

Adam Webster (Bristol City)
“I’m only selling [Aden] Flint if you get me Webster,” the Bristol City head coach, Lee Johnson, said last year in a conversation with the club’s chief executive officer, Mark Ashton. Since arriving from Ipswich for £3.5m, Webster, 24, has established himself as one of the best defenders in the division. A savvy modern-day centre-back and serene in possession, Webster oozes class. Has also been utilised in midfield in a 4-2-2-2 formation. There is seemingly more to come from Josh Brownhill and Callum O’Dowda, too.

Luca Connell (Bolton)
Having only just turned 18, Connell is the bona fide baby of this list but, since being fast-tracked into the starting lineup at stricken Bolton Wanderers, he has belied his years. Born on Merseyside, the shaggy-haired midfielder dubbed by some fans as the “Bolton Modric” is out of contract next month and is set to move on after 10 years at the club. Southampton and Brighton had bids rejected in January while Tottenham, Watford and Wolves are big admirers.

Che Adams (Birmingham City)
Birmingham will do well to hold on to Adams this summer. Even going back to his non-league days, when he broke on to the scene as a 16-year-old at Ilkeston, those who worked with him always felt Adams was destined for the top. He made light work of things this season, achieving a 22-goal haul in a team beset by off-field troubles. In the mould of Callum Wilson – strong, powerful and hard-working – Adams has the tools to succeed.

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2019/may/20/ten-championship-players-premier-league-clubs-have-on-radar-football

Jack Grealish (Aston Villa)
Yet to make a true impression on the top flight, Grealish knows he does not have forever. As a kid the Aston Villa captain celebrated goals in the back garden by jumping into the bushes, pretending to embrace the Holte End and, while he may be living the dream, it is difficult to envisage him settling for a fourth successive season in the second tier. With only 16 Premier League starts to his name, Grealish has unfinished business. The 23-year-old deserves a bigger stage and is a Wembley win away from getting one.

Daniel James (Swansea City)
The 21-year-old has enjoyed a rapid rise since failing to get a game in League One at Shrewsbury Town 18 months ago. As a result, that loan spell was cancelled but, these days, the Swansea and Wales winger has no shortage of admirers, including Manchester United. In March his slaloming runs and searing pace left Nicolás Otamendi queasy and the rest of the Manchester City defence on tenterhooks. “James is incredibly fast, it is not easy,” Pep Guardiola said, raising his eyebrows.

Jarrod Bowen (Hull City)
Across the past two seasons, Bowen has scored 37 goals – from the right wing. Comparisons with Arjen Robben may be overegging his talent but everything points towards Bowen, who was playing for free at Hereford United just five years ago, having a bright future. There is a belief that Bowen, a tenacious forward who has blossomed on the flank, will flourish at the highest level, as his former Hull City teammates Andy Robertson and Harry Maguire have done.

Ezri Konsa (Brentford)
After Lloyd Kelly’s £13m move to Bournemouth, Konsa and Middlesbrough’s Dael Fry are the only players from the most recent England Under-21 squad not on the books of a Premier League club. Brentford’s head coach, Thomas Frank, has acknowledged it is only a matter of time before the centre-back, a graduate of the Charlton academy, joins the former Brentford players James Tarkowski, John Egan and Chris Mepham, who was sold for £15m in January, in the top flight.

Danny Loader (Reading)
The Reading striker is the second-youngest name on this list. Prolific at youth level and a World Cup winner with England Under-17s, Loader has been on the radar of Bundesliga clubs and those closer to home, including Wolves, for some time. The 18-year-old still has only eight league starts to his name after making his full debut in November but his first senior goal, when he arrowed a piercing strike into the top corner at Middlesbrough in April, underlined his undoubted ability. His older brother, Ben, is a wing for London Irish.

Neal Maupay (Brentford)
Twenty-five goals later, top-flight interest in Maupay is a given. Only Teemu Pukki scored more goals in the normal season than the 22-year-old, a £1.6m signing from St Etienne two years ago on the back of an impressive loan spell with Brest. A willing runner, strong and happy to muck in, Maupay, who started his career under Claude Puel at Nice, has been ever present this season. Brentford will command a fee of around £20m this summer.

Saïd Benrahma (Brentford)
Yet another feather in the cap for Brentford’s scouting department. Signed from Nice last summer, Benrahma dazzled in his debut season in England, hitting double-figures in terms of goals and providing a league-high 14 assists, numbers that are even more impressive considering he started 63% of league matches. With quick feet and pace to burn, Benrahma – alongside Maupay and Ollie Watkins – forms one third of a tormenting attacking trident.

Adam Webster (Bristol City)
“I’m only selling [Aden] Flint if you get me Webster,” the Bristol City head coach, Lee Johnson, said last year in a conversation with the club’s chief executive officer, Mark Ashton. Since arriving from Ipswich for £3.5m, Webster, 24, has established himself as one of the best defenders in the division. A savvy modern-day centre-back and serene in possession, Webster oozes class. Has also been utilised in midfield in a 4-2-2-2 formation. There is seemingly more to come from Josh Brownhill and Callum O’Dowda, too.

Luca Connell (Bolton)
Having only just turned 18, Connell is the bona fide baby of this list but, since being fast-tracked into the starting lineup at stricken Bolton Wanderers, he has belied his years. Born on Merseyside, the shaggy-haired midfielder dubbed by some fans as the “Bolton Modric” is out of contract next month and is set to move on after 10 years at the club. Southampton and Brighton had bids rejected in January while Tottenham, Watford and Wolves are big admirers.

Che Adams (Birmingham City)
Birmingham will do well to hold on to Adams this summer. Even going back to his non-league days, when he broke on to the scene as a 16-year-old at Ilkeston, those who worked with him always felt Adams was destined for the top. He made light work of things this season, achieving a 22-goal haul in a team beset by off-field troubles. In the mould of Callum Wilson – strong, powerful and hard-working – Adams has the tools to succeed.

Slightly off topic.

What the hell were / are Bolton playing at ?!

According to the notes above, both Southampton & Brighton made bids for this kid Connell in January. They will now lose him on a free in the summer.

And this is the club that has just gone into administration !

If they had sold this kid, perhaps their staff would not be now relying on food banks to survive !! :ranting:

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Slightly off topic.

According to the notes above, both Southampton & Brighton made bids for this kid Connell in January. They will now lose him on a free in the summer.

If they had sold this kid, perhaps their staff would not be now relying on food banks to survive !! :ranting:

Presumably a fee will be set by a tribunal but, unless Brighton and Southampton made derisory offers, I agree it seems a strange decision. 

5 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Slightly off topic.

Presumably it was their bombscare of an owner who made the decision so not so surprising really.

17 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Did Johnson really say that?

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How do you know?

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He said it earlier this year, sure I remember the quote.

If you google the quote, it should come up!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-what-convinced-bristol-city-2505723

"Mark Ashton should get credit because I said 'I’m only selling Flint if you get me Adam Webster' and he got the deal done simultaneously.

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

To be honest, that's the sort of recruitment we should be looking at, clearly they have people in place who are good at what they do. 

It's also one of the reasons I feel we need a Director of Football - or just another full-time member of management staff assisting with the football side of City, this could be to help with additional scouting needs, assist LJ with additional details on players from the French leagues (make sure we don't get another Diony), etc.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

It's also one of the reasons I feel we need a Director of Football - or just another full-time member of management staff assisting with the football side of City, this could be to help with additional scouting needs, assist LJ with additional details on players from the French leagues (make sure we don't get another Diony), etc.

The club should always look to improve personnel on and off the pitch in my opinion, as it isn't always about upgrading on players.

5 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-what-convinced-bristol-city-2505723

"Mark Ashton should get credit because I said 'I’m only selling Flint if you get me Adam Webster' and he got the deal done simultaneously.

Yes I think this quote comes from LJ’s appearance on Twentyman’s Sound of the City earlier in the season; I recall him saying it. In terms of Webster, unfortunately I could see Potter at Brighton being interested if he wants to change their playing style and other teams come in for Dunk or Duffy. I hope we hang onto him this summer.

Archived