IGNORED

Lee Johnson Contract Talks EDIT : New 4 Year Deal Signed

So we have both Pat Lam and Lee Johnson both getting four year deals within days of eachother, certainly the club is looking to the future. It does make me wish I had a crystal ball though and see where they both are, and more importantly how the teams are doing in four years time.

21 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

What possible reason would he have to keep Johnson if he wasn't doing well?

The reason he hasn't been sacked, and by all accounts is getting a new contract, is because he's doing a very good job.

He kept him when he wasn't doing well before didn't he.

And to his credit he has been proven right although I don't think his decision was based on footballing grounds.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

So we have both Pat Lam and Lee Johnson both getting four year deals within days of eachother, certainly the club is looking to the future. It does make me wish I had a crystal ball though and see where they both are, and more importantly how the teams are doing in four years time.

In terms of stature in their respective sports they are light years apart.

I can see Pat Lam managing a national side or Bristol in a European cup final in 4 years time.

Regardless of that, it's a clear statement from SL that he is satisfied he has the best men for the job and are decisive bits of business early doors.

I'm not debating the merits of a new contract but I can say with certainty that I've never wanted a Bristol City manager to see succeed more than I want Lee Johnson to make that breakthrough. The one thing I've never disputed is that he clearly wants to take our club to the next level.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Assume it's improved terms on his previous £500k p.a. contract. Nice work if you can get it  ?‍♂️

Personally, it's reasonable for the manager of a club in the top 30 clubs in England to be on a £500k+ a year contract. There are a significant number of players at the club who are on more than that and are a lot less in the firing line than Johnson. 

Similarly, if he is in the top 30 managers in the country it's not that mental for him to be on a large sum. If you're one of the top 30 lawyers, bankers, artists, musicians, CEOs you'll be on a lot more. At the previous accountancy firm I used to work at there was probably 150-200 people earning over £500k. Like you said, nice work if you can get it but he's not the only one in the country on that sum. 

27 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Assume it's improved terms on his previous £500k p.a. contract. Nice work if you can get it  ?‍♂️

Maybe, but in the environment he is in it's not an excessive amount. He also seems to be someone who works hard for it in terms of hours he puts in looking at all aspects of his role. I certainly don't begrudge him a great salary. 

45 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

He kept him when he wasn't doing well before didn't he.

And to his credit he has been proven right although I don't think his decision was based on footballing grounds.

Not for prolonged period of time though. He's certainly gone through bad spells but overall he's progressing us. 

I think it's pretty obvious that if he was to go through a long period where results weren't very good, he'd be sacked. 

I would've loved to be a fly on the wall during those contract negotiations.

LJ has talked a big game about wanting to strengthen the squad this season, and I can only assume that a big part of committing himself to the club is the promise that he will be backed with funds.

Admittedly, I thought LJ was a poor choice for head coach when he first signed. IMO, it was (and still kinda is) a return to the "Five Pillars" approach, but he's worked minor miracles to get us where we finished this season, either along with or in spite of our ownership. He's established himself as a Championship quality manager, and if he were to leave right now I could see himself definitely landing another job at this level.

56 minutes ago, RedM said:

The rugby club will be competing to be champions of both england and europe. City wont. Although I wouldnt be surprised If we had been promoted by then. 

43 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Personally, it's reasonable for the manager of a club in the top 30 clubs in England to be on a £500k+ a year contract. There are a significant number of players at the club who are on more than that and are a lot less in the firing line than Johnson. 

Similarly, if he is in the top 30 managers in the country it's not that mental for him to be on a large sum. If you're one of the top 30 lawyers, bankers, artists, musicians, CEOs you'll be on a lot more. At the previous accountancy firm I used to work at there was probably 150-200 people earning over £500k. Like you said, nice work if you can get it but he's not the only one in the country on that sum. 

I don't disagree, just pointing out that it is a very tidy sum of money he'll be on...

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

All managers will be on more than the highest paid players.

LJ is on about half of what our top earning player is on.

20 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not for prolonged period of time though. He's certainly gone through bad spells but overall he's progressing us. 

I think it's pretty obvious that if he was to go through a long period where results weren't very good, he'd be sacked. 

Not sure he would sack LJ to be honest. He very nearly took us down and I still think hed have been kept on to get us back up again.

The relationship goes way beyond a simple owner/manager one.

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't disagree, just pointing out that it is a very tidy sum of money he'll be on...

LJ is on about half of what our top earning player is on.

You know that?

Ferguson at Man United was on more than the highest paid players. He reckoned that as the manager he had to be the highest paid employee.

To not to be would have put him a weak position when dealing with the players. To him it was essential. I’m sure that applies throughout the PL and Championship and probably in the lower leagues as well.

Are you on more money than your  boss?

3 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Not sure he would sack LJ to be honest. He very nearly took us down and I still think hed have been kept on to get us back up again.

The relationship goes way beyond a simple owner/manager one.

Johnson came very close to being sacked already.

Pretty sure he would have gone had we been relegated.

Archived