IGNORED

Lee Johnson Contract Talks EDIT : New 4 Year Deal Signed

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Let me put it another way so you’ll understand - when any player is interviewed they often mention ‘the gaffer’  by which they mean the manager. To them the gaffer is the boss. The person who can make or break your career.......To a player he is the only one that matters and the one you want to impress the most.

Of course the Head Coach has a wide area of responsibilities as you’ve highlighted and he is the main man - the boss of all things  related to football. 

Of course the ultimate boss is SL himself.

Do you have to try really hard to be such a patronising weapon, or does it come naturally?

15 minutes ago, hodge said:

Would need to go to someone higher up to get it done though

My daughter works in HR and is an expert in employment law. She currently works for the government with the Carillion  fiasco after the government took on the Carillion staff.........so.......along with my NHS experience and her extensive knowledge I’m quite aware of how difficult it is to dismiss anyone. 

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course the Head Coach has a wide area of responsibilities as you’ve highlighted and he is the main man - the boss of all things  related to football.

Nope. Wrong again.

He is not the boss of all things related to football. Not at all.

Try again.

30 minutes ago, Unan said:

Guidelines

Bristol City Fans' Forum (OTIB)

There is no limit to the number of posts a person can make, though we do ask that any posts made add to the debate. Repetitive comments, short replies, posts that are deemed to be intentionally antagonistic etc. may result in the moderators restricting a user's posting privileges.

@TomF @Dollymarie @elhombrecito @RedM Can you enforce the forum rules please

I think that is antagonistic.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Do you earn more than your boss?      :dunno:

Does Elton John’s manager earn more than the artist himself   ? 

Managers , generally do not earn more than their highest paid players .

They are there to orchestrate the ‘ artists ‘ .

I have , as a  simple salesman, often in the past earned more than my manager as I could simply concentrate on selling and not worrying about a team , or pleasing my directors or writing out reports etc.

I see your logic but it isn’t completely sound .

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My daughter works in HR and is an expert in employment law. She currently works for the government with the Carillion  fiasco after the government took on the Carillion staff.........so.......along with my NHS experience and her extensive knowledge I’m quite aware of how difficult it is to dismiss anyone. 

Reading between the lines here but are you saying when you worked for the NHS they tried to dismiss you?

Why was that then? ?

5 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Reading between the lines here but are you saying when you worked for the NHS they tried to dismiss you?

Why was that then? ?

Obviously for being an antagonistic, argumentative ***.

These aren't my views, but the views that belong to my post.

52 minutes ago, Unan said:

Guidelines

Bristol City Fans' Forum (OTIB)

There is no limit to the number of posts a person can make, though we do ask that any posts made add to the debate. Repetitive comments, short replies, posts that are deemed to be intentionally antagonistic etc. may result in the moderators restricting a user's posting privileges.

@TomF @Dollymarie @elhombrecito @RedM Can you enforce the forum rules please

@Robbored is protected by the clique, no action to be taken.

Robbored - do you believe anything that anyone says without the pointless questions? 

If you honestly believe managers are all paid higher than footballers that is up to you, it is obviously wrong though whether it is at our club or not. Ferguson was in a different game against todays game. Regardless of what you believe or not, why come back with "Do you earn more than your boss". Some sales reps will earn a lot more than their boss with their commission, a huge, huge majority of employees obviously wouldn't - but WTF has that got to do with a football players and managers wage??

22 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

@Robbored is protected by the clique, no action to be taken.

The staff on OTIB have "done an EFL."

1. When someone decides to opt out of a rather nerve racking task, instead of just growing some gonads and doing it.

Mike: "yeah, Matt was gonna go on Oblivion at Alton Towers, but he totally done an EFL" 

48 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Nope. Wrong again.

He is not the boss of all things related to football. Not at all.

Try again.

Can he have a 50:50 or phone friend?

3 hours ago, RedM said:

So we have both Pat Lam and Lee Johnson both getting four year deals within days of eachother, certainly the club is looking to the future. It does make me wish I had a crystal ball though and see where they both are, and more importantly how the teams are doing in four years time.

One thing's for certain, we'll still be above the sags.

You won't need a crystal ball for that!  ?

1 hour ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Why was that then? ?

I was involved in the complicated business of trying to dismiss other people. There was always a HR representative involved to ensure that all procedures were followed correctly.

3 minutes ago, longyears said:

Idiot decision in my view - what football manager ever deserved a four year contract - or rugby/cricket/NFL et al for that matter. Just a hope and a prayer but not good for the club !

They are there to be sacked by someone who got ZERO clue. SL should sponsor a professor degree in football at the UNI 

13 minutes ago, longyears said:

Idiot decision in my view - what football manager ever deserved a four year contract - or rugby/cricket/NFL et al for that matter. Just a hope and a prayer but not good for the club !

One word - stability.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I would be surprised if we are promoted in next four years. But that is for many reasons and not solely based on my opinion of Johnson.

The major change in club philosophy is that we INTEND to win promotion rather than we HOPE TO.

I fully understand how FFP impacts on our ambitions and that it is highly unlikely that we would knowingly break the rules and hope to get away with it, unlike some other clubs. So we aren't going to buy our way up like some clubs.

I'm pleased that Lansdown has given a very good degree of security for both Lam and Johnson, but one has produced a much greater degree of consistency with results and improved team performance while the other, in my opinion, has not.

If LJ can go a season without Boom & Bust results, provide us with a decent home record, then I may be able to feel more comfortable about him.

I now await with interest, how good our transfer dealings are, both in and out.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Lam.

Yes, the rugger boys were in a relegation battle all season whereas City did really well but he is a recognised top manager.

@Robbored you may well have a great understanding of employment law but you have a poor understanding of labor economics. And also of market dynamics in private businesses - there are many sectors in which staff members earn more than the CEO. Banking, energy... football. 

Actually now I’m thinking. LJ earns more than our highest paid director - i.e., his boss - and that is evidenced directly in our accounts. No dramas there. It’s just supply and demand like. 

3 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Im on the fence with this one, I mean it's fine but what benefit does it really bring the club?

If he is poached by a bigger club city will get a few mill sure

But if ever the time comes to sack him it will cost more

Manager compensation is seldom a factor with clubs approach another clubs manager under contract.

SLs mantra is ‘sustainability and stability’ and by giving LJ a 4 year deal he’s adding to the stability already created by LJ and his assistants.

SL, quite rightly sees changing managers and all the backroom staff as hugely destabilising to the club - based on what he’s seen at AG over the years. 

If LJ gets poached by a bigger club then the vacancy will very likely be filled by one of the assistants who obviously know the club inside out.

Its kinda like the old Liverpool ‘boot room’ philosophy of appointing from within.

I can't see what the fuss is about with the 4 year contract, SL wants him to stay he wants to stay and carry on what he has started, most but not all think he has done pretty well so far (despite some ups and downs) the trajectory is up so I think stability and keeping him is important.

When Cotterill became manager he was given a 3 and a half year contract, so not a great deal of difference. Did that cause the same amount of discussion at the time, I can't remember.

6 minutes ago, Lucan said:

And that's all fine, but how does a new contract actually help with stability?

Like I said, not much wrong with the idea and on balance LJ is more likely to be poached than sacked at this point in time, but the new contract won't actually change the liklehood of either in any big way

I'm not sure I get the boot room analogy either.  Do we have a policy of promotion from within?

A four year contract means that LJ will remain as Head Coach throughout that period and that equals stability. 

City do not yet have a policy of promotion from within because the situation has not arisen but should LJ get poached then the vacancy could well be filled by one of the assistants thereby creating a policy of internal appointment.

Thats exactly what Liverpool did during their glory days.

40 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

I can't see what the fuss is about with the 4 year contract, SL wants him to stay he wants to stay and carry on what he has started, most but not all think he has done pretty well so far (despite some ups and downs) the trajectory is up so I think stability and keeping him is important.

When Cotterill became manager he was given a 3 and a half year contract, so not a great deal of difference. Did that cause the same amount of discussion at the time, I can't remember.

Me neither. And if you think about it technically it is only another 3 years on from when LJ’s first contract was due to end in 2020. His first contract was for 3.5 years; that was the bigger risk and commitment. 

15 minutes ago, Lucan said:

It doesn't mean he will stay 4 years

Really, I can't see any correlation. Managers barely ever leave at the end of a contract and I can't recall many examples of clubs not approaching their desired managerial target because of the cost of buying it out. Not in the top league's especially.

As for your second point, I know that's what pool did during their glory years. I again see no correlation between the Liverpool, multi decade boot room system and Lee Johnson signing an extended contract.

No it doesn’t mean LJ will stay for 4 years but he refers to Bristol City as ‘my club ‘ and that he ‘loves the club’ . He probably thinks he has his  dream job and I can’t see him going anywhere unless a big PL club come knocking and makes an offer he can’t refuse.

The concept of the ‘boot room’ is new at City but then it was new at Anfield when Shankley was there......why do you suppose that LJ was told to bring in his on assistants? It was so a team of backroom staff could start to develop with the idea of being able to promote from within should the need arise.

Honestly, I'm still not 100% convinced about Lee's skills, so I'm not sure he'll be able to lead us to the PL...but he's clearly committed to the club and supported by S.Lansdown and M.Ashton, so I hope that this unity will be the base to build a stronger team and that Lee's management will progress further. :flex:

Archived