IGNORED

Lee Johnson Contract Talks EDIT : New 4 Year Deal Signed

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

That's a fair point, and I'd say that my suggestion is based around the lack of high level experience of the people helping LJ, namely Macca, Holden, and probably to a degree Brian Tinnion.  I would certainly keep all the current coaches / staff at City, but I would like someone else with a bit of promotion savvy / experience within the management mix.  I know experience isn't everything in life, but it certainly helps - provided the person has the right personality to work with and compliment those here already doing a top job. 

I get your point Kev but I don't think LJ would appreciate someone at the club with more knowledge than him. He has been a coach for 6 years now,  half of that at Championship level., and is the definitive voice on football matters so far as SL is concerned I get the impression his 2 assistants are more hands on with the actual training and LJ works on game strategies -I could be wrong that's just my impression. Whether he would take kindly to someone giving an alternative view, and possibly having the ear of the owner is open to question, and he wouldn't be alone in that.

26 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I get your point Kev but I don't think LJ would appreciate someone at the club with more knowledge than him. He has been a coach for 6 years now,  half of that at Championship level., and is the definitive voice on football matters so far as SL is concerned I get the impression his 2 assistants are more hands on with the actual training and LJ works on game strategies -I could be wrong that's just my impression. Whether he would take kindly to someone giving an alternative view, and possibly having the ear of the owner is open to question, and he wouldn't be alone in that.

I get the impression that LJ and his assistants see themselves as one team with LJ as captain.They see each other almost daily at Failand and obviously discuss all the ins and outs of current matters.

From the clips of training we see on the OS LJ is very much involved as are Macca and Deano.

13 hours ago, RumRed said:

I’ve earned far more than my managers in the past.  I could sell, they could deal with HR and interminable meetings.  Different skillset, didn’t mean I respected them any less.

RR just has the mentality of someone that’s worked for the public sector where it’s all set pay grades etc.   He probably thinks everyone has a final salary pension, sick pay etc.

If you’ve lived your life in the public sector bubble then you have no comprehension of the private.

Agree with this,  I worked in the public sector for 20 years but luckily was one of the few exceptions to earning more than my boss due to my different skillset and higher security clearance, however I couldn't do my bosses job and he couldn't do mine, mutual respect though and 15 years after leaving we are still friends. 

Shows  somebody has their head screwed on at city getting LJ to sign up for four years, stability for the club and must help in the transfer market in the long run getting it out in the open ASAP might help any lingering doubters to want to come and play for city.

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

That's a fair point, and I'd say that my suggestion is based around the lack of high level experience of the people helping LJ, namely Macca, Holden, and probably to a degree Brian Tinnion.  I would certainly keep all the current coaches / staff at City, but I would like someone else with a bit of promotion savvy / experience within the management mix.  I know experience isn't everything in life, but it certainly helps - provided the person has the right personality to work with and compliment those here already doing a top job. 

Good post confirming what quite a few have thought and said. He does have an ideal source of alternative advice in his father, except for me that is not considered as suitable as GJ has never managed at this level.

To bring in someone as a DOF or mentor would now, after three years, be an insult to LJ. He needed that in the first two years, when he was really green at this level. Even I would admit that he appears to make fewer mistakes now. And I also acknowledge that one who never makes a decision will never make a mistake. Football management is not a precise science.

It would be interesting to know who he talks to outside of family and BCFC for advice. 

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It would be interesting to know who he talks to outside of family and BCFC for advice. 

One of his best attributes is he is an arduous student. He has met military, he has been far and wide watching training - Germany recently we know about, seeking out some ex Tampa Bay coach during pre-season... I think it’s more who he doesn’t talk to, in football or where he thinks he can get some transferable skills. 

I’m sure he’s going to go far. He has the right attitude. 

On 23/05/2019 at 17:36, Robbored said:

... he refers to Bristol City as ‘my club ‘ and that he ‘loves the club’ . He probably thinks he has his  dream job and I can’t see him going anywhere unless a big PL club come knocking and makes an offer he can’t refuse...

Zillions of managers of many clubs have described the clubs they manage as ‘my club’ and they pledge undying love to those clubs - it means little ... and you speak as though LJ holds all the cards and his departure will be totally on his terms - in reality that is guff ... 

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Zillions of managers of many clubs have described the clubs they manage as ‘my club’ and they pledge undying love to those clubs - it means little ... and you speak as though LJ holds all the cards and his departure will be totally on his terms - in reality that is guff ... 

Have you heard LJ talk about Bristol City in person? If you’re  in his company you’d see how much he cares about the club.Ive seen him become a little emotional when he talked about nearly losing his job.

He’s becoming to City what Eddie Howe is at B’muff.

23 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Good post confirming what quite a few have thought and said. He does have an ideal source of alternative advice in his father, except for me that is not considered as suitable as GJ has never managed at this level.

To bring in someone as a DOF or mentor would now, after three years, be an insult to LJ. He needed that in the first two years, when he was really green at this level. Even I would admit that he appears to make fewer mistakes now. And I also acknowledge that one who never makes a decision will never make a mistake. Football management is not a precise science.

Not sure what you mean in saying GJ has never managed at this level.

As to who LJ speaks to outside of family, it seems to me that he has a myriad of contacts in the game as you'd expect of a football centred family. I agree that he doesn't need a DOF imho, he's made his major mistakes already (hopefully) and has hopefully learned from it.

On 24/05/2019 at 18:29, cidered abroad said:

Were you asleep for 3 seasons in the late 00s

On 23/05/2019 at 17:33, eardun said:

Me neither. And if you think about it technically it is only another 3 years on from when LJ’s first contract was due to end in 2020. His first contract was for 3.5 years; that was the bigger risk and commitment. 

LJ’s first contract appointed him to the end of the 2018/2019 season ... he signed a contract extension, in the midst of an horrendous run of results, in December 2016 - that was the one that was due to end in 2020 ...

On 24/05/2019 at 18:29, cidered abroad said:

Good post confirming what quite a few have thought and said. He does have an ideal source of alternative advice in his father, except for me that is not considered as suitable as GJ has never managed at this level...

Mate, you’ve had a ‘Weston Super’ - GJ managed both Bristol City and Yeovil in the championship ...

Archived