IGNORED

Can anybody help him out?

Taxi for hunt

2 minutes ago, Super said:

He doesn't seem to be getting much sympathy in the comments section.

No, there are some right w*****s on that site...if hopesey is still on here, maybe the mods could put him in touch with people on here who might be able to help him out? Just a thought

It's a shame he can't get a job at the club shop. I'm sure he can do wonders for the stock management of goalkeepers socks. 

Hopesy, if you're reading this, fingers cross your luck changes soon and some good will come from this article. The gig economy such as Deliveroo might not be a bad idea if you have access to a bike? 

The thing is employers are really not interested in what he wants to do outside of work, they want somebody who wants the job.  Stop talking about acting in interviews or on the CV.

I had an interviewee for a Finance apprenticeship who said "I really want to get into IT".  Despite his being ideal I didn't employ him because I knew he'd off at the drop of a hat if an IT job came up.

A mate from college was still unemployed months after the rest of us had got jobs.  We didn't understand it so I offered to have a look at his CV to see if it could be imrpoved.  Under hobbies he had put "I am particularly interested in the philosophical works of Freidrich Nietzsche and Soren Kierkegaard"; nothing else.  I suggested that he might want to cross those out and put football and Formula 1, which were his actual hobbies as his attempt to impress people with his intellect had them thinking that he was a right weirdo. Result: he got a job the next month.

Hopesy obviously can do the work as he's done it so it's just a change of approach that's needed.  Good luck.

9 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Could I suggest that he takes a voluntary job? The two year gap is putting employers off. If he can show he is volunteering whilst looking for paid employment it goes a long way to show you are willing and committed.

This website is good https://www.voscur.org/jobs 

Think you are right, the employment gap would be a concern for most employers...thanks for posting the link

27 minutes ago, Super said:

He doesn't seem to be getting much sympathy in the comments section.

Indeed.

A certain Phantom74 suggested:

'I heard he is good at selling football socks?'

Not our own @phantom surely.

I seem to recall some time ago that posters on this forum were requested to go lightly with 'Hopesy', as I believe he was called.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed.

A certain Phantom74 suggested:

'I heard he is good at selling football socks?'

Not our own @phantom surely.

I seem to recall some time ago that posters on this forum were requested to go lightly with 'Hopesy', as I believe he was called.

Oh come on; that's pretty innocuous and is more likely to raise a smile than anything.

17 minutes ago, Unan said:

To clarify for people Hopsey has learning difficulties so easy with the jokes, he was in the year below me at school

Why does that make any difference? I don't think anyone is making jokes regarding him having learning difficulties.

The problem could be no person want's to hire someone full time if it's employees intention is to only gain enough money to leave and get a acting degree. I am not sure if his goal is in his CV, something he says in interviews, or maybe something that unconsciously comes through in interviews, but even for what you might consider the worst of jobs the employer is looking for committed people who want to be there. 

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

The problem could be no person want's to hire someone full time if it's employees intention is to only gain enough money to leave and get a acting degree. I am not sure if his goal is in his CV, something he says in interviews, or maybe something that unconsciously comes through in interviews, but even for what you might consider the worst of jobs the employer is looking for committed people who want to be there. 

Nor has he mentioned what qualifications/skills he has, or mainly what jobs he has been applying for. I imagine most people could apply for 10 jobs a week knowing full well they dont have the skills for it which means they wont be getting the job.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Oh come on; that's pretty innocuous and is more likely to raise a smile than anything.

It certainly raised a smile with me, and, I must confess, as soon as I saw his picture, football socks (yellow, if I recall correctly) was probably the first thought that came in to my mind.

Nevertheless, when the poor lad is obviously struggling, in more ways than one, I just thought it 'unfortunate' that the Bristol Post comments were belittling rather than supportive. 

******* hell, the people in that comment section are a bunch of *****, and more than likely a bunch of ***** with no idea of how much harder it is to find a job today than it was 20-30 years ago.

I'm not sure what to suggest for someone that is set on getting into acting, other than to embrace the lifestyle and just focus on acting or performing. There are plenty of amateur venues out there if he wants to pursue comedy, and plenty of amateur productions going on throughout the city that would love some support.

If he can limit acting to a side-passion, I'd recommend a career in software development. There are plenty of three month bootcamps in Bristol that will train people from zero knowledge to having enough working knowledge for an entry-level role in building software. It's hard work, and it takes a lot of time to learn the stuff you need to do it well, but when you get to a certain level of proficiency opportunities are plentiful. Hell, some bootcamps even take people on and train them for a free, in exchange for a certain percentage of first-year salary.

• Admin
17 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It certainly raised a smile with me, and, I must confess, as soon as I saw his picture, football socks (yellow, if I recall correctly) 

That's just the one's you heard about, not for me to say too much, but there were many other "items" that went missing after an event he ran and certainly left others massively financially out of pocket. 

Of course like all of us I have lots of sympathy with his story, though find it odd why the post are covering it. 

But there are other things off this forum that he can't be forgiven for 

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

That's just the one's you heard about, not for me to say too much, but there were many other "items" that went missing after an event he ran and certainly left others massively financially out of pocket. 

Of course like all of us I have lots of sympathy with his story, though find it odd why the post are covering it. 

But there are other things off this forum that he can't be forgiven for 

Surely you need to say more than that!

15 hours ago, EnderMB said:

If he can limit acting to a side-passion, I'd recommend a career in software development. There are plenty of three month bootcamps in Bristol that will train people from zero knowledge to having enough working knowledge for an entry-level role in software. 

Do you mean boot camps for soft wear?   If so I believe that's an avenue already explored, socks are soft wear aren't they?

(sorry couldn't resist, good advice EnderMB … and good luck and best wishes to Hopesy and others in a similar position who just need a decent break to get started)  

Archived