IGNORED

Frank Lampard is new manager of Frank Lampard's Chelsea (Merged)

Leveller

35 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Strange one for me. Limped Derby in to the playoffs, which surely should have been the absolute minimum expectation for any coach there given their squad. 

Can’t see anything that he’s done to warrant being given such a massive job at this stage in his career, other than play for Chelsea of course. 

But isn’t he just about the only bloke left, who hasn’t managed them yet..?!

3 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

First time a top 4 club has hired a an English manager for 30/40 years? I’m struggling to think of the last time it happened!! 

Roy Hodgson was at Liverpool in 2010 and there was Roy Evans a few years before. But you're right, there aren't many!

11 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

First time a top 4 club has hired a an English manager for 30/40 years? I’m struggling to think of the last time it happened!! 

Steve Coppell was manager at Man City for a long time...well compared to how long he was manager at Bristol City it was a long time.

5 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

…. cant help wondering, if Lampard takes the Chelsea job, will he be Sarri ?

Well, Sarri is the hardest word.

Perfect appointment for them. Can't sign anyone. The young players will look up to him, the fans will give him plenty of leeway. Great relationship with the hierarchy. Only surprise so far is that they let dasilva go before he was appointed. Not that I am complaining. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

But isn’t he just about the only bloke left, who hasn’t managed them yet..?!

They haven't responded to a single one of my applications.

We've all seen how many great managers were poor players. Well I'm a bloody awful player, so they're missing out big time.

• The title was changed to Frank Lampard is new manager of Frank Lampard's Chelsea (Merged)
3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

who's taking over at Frank Lampard's Derby County?

The BBC are all over the fact he's left for Chelsea, no concern fr who is going to manage FLDC…

Will they just be called Derby County again now then? ?

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Perfect appointment for them. Can't sign anyone. The young players will look up to him, the fans will give him plenty of leeway. Great relationship with the hierarchy. Only surprise so far is that they let dasilva go before he was appointed. Not that I am complaining. 

They really don't know who they have got , IF they did they would have not sold Jay, they are a complete basket case of a club,. At least Lampard will try and bring them back to Earth. 

Lampard has really fallen on his feet hasn't he?

Parachuted in to a big championship club for his first management position, where it could be argued he could hardly fail with the size of the club quality of the squad. However, Oon the Derby forum last season I read that many fans thought his inexperience cost them when they were pushing for an automatic promotion shot.

Now, after just one season of management he is brought in to manage one of the top premier league clubs. Measured against recent Chelsea managers he has not been chosen because of his achievements and experience,  but almost certainly because of his status and reputation as a player at the club. Chelsea's situation with transfers and having just lost their most influential player means that he will almost certainly be granted a lot more slack than would normally be the case with Abramovich's managers, so he will be gaining not just premier league, but management  experience,  "on the job" so to speak.

FL may well come good and turn out to be an inspired appointment and if he does good luck to the lad. However, he has been given a leg up on the managerial ladder that would be afforded to very few others.

P.S. Was Sol Campbell considered/interviewed for the Chelsea job?

24 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

They really don't know who they have got , IF they did they would have not sold Jay, they are a complete basket case of a club,. At least Lampard will try and bring them back to Earth. 

Sold Aina too- another good young impressive player to Torino, similar purchase with option to fee, fixed fee though they got more for him. Just 2 more to add to Salah, De Bruyne to name 2!

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Lampard has really fallen on his feet hasn't he?

Parachuted in to a big championship club for his first management position, where it could be argued he could hardly fail with the size of the club quality of the squad. However, Oon the Derby forum last season I read that many fans thought his inexperience cost them when they were pushing for an automatic promotion shot.

Now, after just one season of management he is brought in to manage one of the top premier league clubs. Measured against recent Chelsea managers he has not been chosen because of his achievements and experience,  but almost certainly because of his status and reputation as a player at the club. Chelsea's situation with transfers and having just lost their most influential player means that he will almost certainly be granted a lot more slack than would normally be the case with Abramovich's managers, so he will be gaining not just premier league, but management  experience,  "on the job" so to speak.

FL may well come good and turn out to be an inspired appointment and if he does good luck to the lad. However, he has been given a leg up on the managerial ladder that would be afforded to very few others.

P.S. Was Sol Campbell considered/interviewed for the Chelsea job?

Yes but just like in his previous interviews he was underprepared and couldn't name any of the players, wasn't sure of what formation he would use and only wanted the job because he was Sol Campbell and once played for England.

6 hours ago, EnderMB said:

"The club formerly known as Frank Lampard's Derby County" doesn't have such a nice ring to it...

I'm still waiting for Dean Smith to be sacked so we can see AVBJT (Aston Villas Brave John Terry).

Perhaps they`ll just change their name to Squiggle FC like Prince did.

Archived