IGNORED

Concerts at the Gate

daored

2 hours ago, RedRaw said:

I think what the Nordic Nutter may be getting at is that although successful, the current acts at the gate are for the 30-50+ age groups.

It would be good to see if we can attract the younger acts and subsequent crowds such as Little Mix, Bieber, Grande, Sheeran etc. Maybe not a lot of peoples cup of tea on here but it would be a huge attraction for the teens-20+ in the wider west country

This would really put us on the map and I have the feeling that 1 or 2 acts like that is what we may be aiming for next year

I get your point, though I think less so with Muse- though I assumed they came out in the early-mid 2000's as that is when I mainly recall them! Wasn't aware they were indeed 1994, debut album 2019 until I just googled it.

Overall though that would be a good move promoting wise and as you say a major attraction for the younger crowd- helps that Muse are still very much active and indeed decent in terms of more younger than the other 3- which isn't what can necessarily be said for the other 3 bands.

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

Rest assured..... having taken my wife and three kids to Cardiff to see One Direction a few years ago, large, and I mean large amounts of money was spent.

Reckon a Guns n Roses audience would out drink them :D 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I think I know who we will be having next year. This is an absolute wild guess, the talk of a Billy Graham gave me a brainwave ( or as near to a brainwave as I get). What about....The Rolling Stones?

I’m not a fan, can’t think of much worse but they would be HUGE. I think they are touring now, or did they cancel as Sir Mick recently had heart surgery or something, I remember seeing it on the news a while back. It would be a return to the Gate too? 

Real question is, would I make a better music promotors than our Swedish friend? ?

Yes please.

I would love to see a gig at the Gate but unfortunately none of the recent artists do it for me.

Either The Jam, Stone Roses, Liam Gallagher, Kasabian or The Strokes would be a dream also.

3 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

She is 16 years old and is likely to get Nobel's Environmental Price later this year.

A Martin Luther King Jr.

She would attract masses of young people from all Europe to Ashton Gate next summer. We could well sell out a week.  

Yes but can she sing Supermassive Black Hole?

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Anyway, back on subject, have the Spice Women got a support act?

Jess Glynne, as I said before the Spices should be supporting her. Very good. Seen her three times I think without meaning to. I don’t much like her personality wise but she does a slick show. 

3 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

It was the same week as the second Bon Jovi concert I believe. They were going to use the stage, as in them days the stage stayed up for the two or three concerts, but ticket sales were abysmal.

I don't know what year that was but I watched Bill Bailey in the stadium, it might have been the year before Bon Jovi

Gutted I missed Muse. I believe the only reason it didn't sell out was because Bristol was announced after Manchester and London and although people were offered the chance to switch venues, many had already booked and paid for transport/accommodation so went to those shows instead.

A very large contingent did travel up the M5 from Devon to see the local lads and some even travelled from as far as Cornwall. Hopefully, they'll return in a few years.

17 minutes ago, Highburnred said:

Bastille have a new album coming out soon, hoping that when they go on tour with it that they finish with a few stadium gigs hopefully including Ashton gate next summer

They’d never sell it out. 

I don’t mind Bastille, but when they play places like Plymouth Pavillions, it’s pretty easy to get tickets. Unless their new album rips them to a new level, or they piggyback on a stage for a bigger band on a different day, you have close to no hope.

Bands/Artists who could sell it out who are likely to tour stadiums in 2020 (some may be too big):

- Springsteen 

- Madonna

- Kasabian

- Kings of Leon

- Foo Fighters

- Killers

- Metallica 

- Ariana Grande

- Taylor Swift

Take your pick...

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

They’d never sell it out. 

I don’t mind Bastille, but when they play places like Plymouth Pavillions, it’s pretty easy to get tickets. Unless their new album rips them to a new level, or they piggyback on a stage for a bigger band on a different day, you have close to no hope.

Bands/Artists who could sell it out who are likely to tour stadiums in 2020 (some may be too big):

- Springsteen 

- Madonna

- Kasabian

- Kings of Leon

- Foo Fighters

- Killers

- Metallica 

- Ariana Grande

- Taylor Swift

Take your pick...

Moynehan but Madonna, that Eurovision performance was embarrassing 

17 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Probably too big for us...

As is Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande. But they’re gash anyway 

Taylor Swift couldn't even sell out Wembley and Manchester as her ticket prices were too high, for the Manchester gigs they even altered the seating to make it look busier and handed out hundreds of free tickets in the lead up so I don't think she'll be back over here for a while!

There is definitely a pattern developing here, which is why professional promoters and others in the music business are used to determine which acts can  make a commercial success of performing at a stadium gig, rather than a particular fan base.  Last year Ed Sheeran played 3 gigs at the Principality and sold out each one, so it is laughable to suggest that he couldn't fill the gate, just because he is not someone's personal taste.  But there are only a few acts that you would say would definitely sell out, I would suggest The Stones, U2, Fleetwood Mac and Springsteen are a given, but it does make me laugh when someone comes up with a band that would struggle to sell the Fleece.  

Bands like Bastille and the Manics, have been suggested, well they both recently played Bath Forum (capacity of around 1500).  Simple Minds were a big stadium band in the 80s, times have changed.  There are also many other factors, as mentioned previously Muse did not sell out AG, but they announced bigger stadium gigs before AG, and I believe that many Welsh fans bought Take That (or was it Spice Girls) tickets for AG, only for gigs then to be announced in Cardiff, and swapping tickets seems to be a nightmare.  Prices and the number of gigs also play a big factor.

But there is a lot of musical snobbery out there, if a band is commercially successful but not your cup of tea, there is a simple answer - don't buy a ticket!

Archived