IGNORED

Concerts at the Gate

daored

Anyone who has ever sat down with a scone - which rhymes with one - a pot of jam and a pot of clotted cream, and tried both methods of applying the two, knows that it's cream first. Disclaimer: I say this as a Devonian born and bred, but still, it's simple logic.

1 minute ago, Porto Red said:

Anyone who has ever sat down with a scone - which rhymes with one - a pot of jam and a pot of clotted cream, and tried both methods of applying the two, knows that it's cream first. Disclaimer: I say this as a Devonian born and bred, but still, it's simple logic.

I've heard arguments for it rhyming with cone, and with gone, but that's a new one on me. So you basically pronounce it skun? :laugh:

You're 100% right about the jam and cream though...

14 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I've heard arguments for it rhyming with cone, and with gone, but that's a new one on me. So you basically pronounce it skun? :laugh:

You're 100% right about the jam and cream though...

Yeah, if I was from Sconethorpe

15 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I was always told the first was common, the second was posh.

I is common then. And isn’t the jam cream thing whether you are from Devon or Cornwall, I don’t care which way round it goes as I don’t like Scones, it’s like eating sweet bread. Cakes are another thing altogether, jam and cream any which way in a cake.

18 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

Yeah, if I was from Sconethorpe

This is like the Shrewsbury Shrosebury thing isn’t it. 

Hey we are way of topic, ahem, do you think Scunthorpe or Shrewsbury may  hold concerts anytime soon? ?

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

This is like the Shrewsbury Shrosebury thing isn’t it. 

Hey we are way of topic, ahem, do you think Scunthorpe or Shrewsbury may  hold concerts anytime soon? ?

I was born in Shrewsbury and it’s “Shrew” for me...

1 hour ago, Porto Red said:

Never read such nonsense,jam first is the correct way.?

53 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

I can remember when the Wurzels were the half-time entertainment!

I was thinking that I can remember that - back in the 60s?

2 hours ago, Porto Red said:

If you make a bit of jam on toast, you butter the bread and then put the jam on. You wouldn't put the jam on, then shove the butter on top now.

Same applies to scon-es or s-cones.

4 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

If you make a bit of jam on toast, you butter the bread and then put the jam on. You wouldn't put the jam on, then shove the butter on top now.

scone, butter, jam, then cream :englandsmile4wf:

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

YES PLEASE! :fingerscrossed:

You know my views on him. I remember messaging you that I was eating my food at Glastonbury and I could hear him in the distance, put me right off my meal it did ?

With scones, or scones, why not try a half and half (just like football scarves?  Jam on one side and cream on the other, then just splodge together. Or just have a pasty 

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Wrong (not least because I can't abide butter with jam, just plain jam for me)

Archived