Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

daored

Concerts at the Gate

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

There are always bands that would sell better

Yes but have to be touring or willing to play live, you can’t force them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedRaw said:

I think what the Nordic Nutter may be getting at is that although successful, the current acts at the gate are for the 30-50+ age groups.

It would be good to see if we can attract the younger acts and subsequent crowds such as Little Mix, Bieber, Grande, Sheeran etc. Maybe not a lot of peoples cup of tea on here but it would be a huge attraction for the teens-20+ in the wider west country

This would really put us on the map and I have the feeling that 1 or 2 acts like that is what we may be aiming for next year

 

I get your point, though I think less so with Muse- though I assumed they came out in the early-mid 2000's as that is when I mainly recall them! Wasn't aware they were indeed 1994, debut album 2019 until I just googled it.

Overall though that would be a good move promoting wise and as you say a major attraction for the younger crowd- helps that Muse are still very much active and indeed decent in terms of more younger than the other 3- which isn't what can necessarily be said for the other 3 bands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

Rest assured..... having taken my wife and three kids to Cardiff to see One Direction a few years ago, large, and I mean large amounts of money was spent.

Reckon a Guns n Roses audience would out drink them :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedM said:

I think I know who we will be having next year. This is an absolute wild guess, the talk of a Billy Graham gave me a brainwave ( or as near to a brainwave as I get). What about....The Rolling Stones?

I’m not a fan, can’t think of much worse but they would be HUGE. I think they are touring now, or did they cancel as Sir Mick recently had heart surgery or something, I remember seeing it on the news a while back. It would be a return to the Gate too? 

Real question is, would I make a better music promotors than our Swedish friend? 😀

Yes please.

I would love to see a gig at the Gate but unfortunately none of the recent artists do it for me.

Either The Jam, Stone Roses, Liam Gallagher, Kasabian or The Strokes would be a dream also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

She is 16 years old and is likely to get Nobel's Environmental Price later this year.

A Martin Luther King Jr.

She would attract masses of young people from all Europe to Ashton Gate next summer. We could well sell out a week.  

Yes but can she sing Supermassive Black Hole?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Anyway, back on subject, have the Spice Women got a support act?

Jess Glynne, as I said before the Spices should be supporting her. Very good. Seen her three times I think without meaning to. I don’t much like her personality wise but she does a slick show. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Anyway, back on subject, have the Spice Women got a support act?

When are the Pop Tarts playing, so that I know when to make sure I'm not within earshot of AG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

When are the Pop Tarts playing, so that I know when to make sure I'm not within earshot of AG?

Monday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

we've come a long way from booking Bill Bailey to play the stadium, only to be moved to the Dolman Exhibition Hall due to poor ticket sales. 

Very odd decision. Did the club book him or the promoter book the stadium?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Very odd decision. Did the club book him or the promoter book the stadium?

It was the same week as the second Bon Jovi concert I believe. They were going to use the stage, as in them days the stage stayed up for the two or three concerts, but ticket sales were abysmal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

It was the same week as the second Bon Jovi concert I believe. They were going to use the stage, as in them days the stage stayed up for the two or three concerts, but ticket sales were abysmal.

I don't know what year that was but I watched Bill Bailey in the stadium, it might have been the year before Bon Jovi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gutted I missed Muse. I believe the only reason it didn't sell out was because Bristol was announced after Manchester and London and although people were offered the chance to switch venues, many had already booked and paid for transport/accommodation so went to those shows instead.

A very large contingent did travel up the M5 from Devon to see the local lads and some even travelled from as far as Cornwall. Hopefully, they'll return in a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bastille have a new album coming out soon, hoping that when they go on tour with it that they finish with a few stadium gigs hopefully including Ashton gate next summer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Highburnred said:

Bastille have a new album coming out soon, hoping that when they go on tour with it that they finish with a few stadium gigs hopefully including Ashton gate next summer

They’d never sell it out. 

I don’t mind Bastille, but when they play places like Plymouth Pavillions, it’s pretty easy to get tickets. Unless their new album rips them to a new level, or they piggyback on a stage for a bigger band on a different day, you have close to no hope.

Bands/Artists who could sell it out who are likely to tour stadiums in 2020 (some may be too big):

- Springsteen 

- Madonna

- Kasabian

- Kings of Leon

- Foo Fighters

- Killers

- Metallica 

- Ariana Grande

- Taylor Swift

 

Take your pick...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

They’d never sell it out. 

I don’t mind Bastille, but when they play places like Plymouth Pavillions, it’s pretty easy to get tickets. Unless their new album rips them to a new level, or they piggyback on a stage for a bigger band on a different day, you have close to no hope.

Bands/Artists who could sell it out who are likely to tour stadiums in 2020 (some may be too big):

- Springsteen 

- Madonna

- Kasabian

- Kings of Leon

- Foo Fighters

- Killers

- Metallica 

- Ariana Grande

- Taylor Swift

 

Take your pick...

Moynehan but Madonna, that Eurovision performance was embarrassing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Ed Sheehan would definitely sell out. 

Not so sure.

I'm not aware of anyone I hate enough that I would buy them a ticket.

Also, think of poor old @CyderInACan he might have to endure that from his garden.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not so sure.

I'm not aware of anyone I hate enough that I would buy them a ticket.

Also, think of poor old @CyderInACan he might have to endure that from his garden.

ANNOUNCE B*WITCHED

  • Flames 1
  • Unicorn 1
  • Robin 1
  • Hedgehog 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Ed Sheehan would definitely sell out. 

Probably too big for us...

As is Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande. But they’re gash anyway 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Probably too big for us...

As is Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande. But they’re gash anyway 

Taylor Swift couldn't even sell out Wembley and Manchester as her ticket prices were too high, for the Manchester gigs they even altered the seating to make it look busier and handed out hundreds of free tickets in the lead up so I don't think she'll be back over here for a while!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Never heard of him.....:dunno:

 

 

Capture.PNG

That’s what I get for posting at silly o clock in the morning, half asleep! You know who I meant :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is definitely a pattern developing here, which is why professional promoters and others in the music business are used to determine which acts can  make a commercial success of performing at a stadium gig, rather than a particular fan base.  Last year Ed Sheeran played 3 gigs at the Principality and sold out each one, so it is laughable to suggest that he couldn't fill the gate, just because he is not someone's personal taste.  But there are only a few acts that you would say would definitely sell out, I would suggest The Stones, U2, Fleetwood Mac and Springsteen are a given, but it does make me laugh when someone comes up with a band that would struggle to sell the Fleece.  

Bands like Bastille and the Manics, have been suggested, well they both recently played Bath Forum (capacity of around 1500).  Simple Minds were a big stadium band in the 80s, times have changed.  There are also many other factors, as mentioned previously Muse did not sell out AG, but they announced bigger stadium gigs before AG, and I believe that many Welsh fans bought Take That (or was it Spice Girls) tickets for AG, only for gigs then to be announced in Cardiff, and swapping tickets seems to be a nightmare.  Prices and the number of gigs also play a big factor.

But there is a lot of musical snobbery out there, if a band is commercially successful but not your cup of tea, there is a simple answer - don't buy a ticket!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

They’d never sell it out. 

I don’t mind Bastille, but when they play places like Plymouth Pavillions, it’s pretty easy to get tickets. Unless their new album rips them to a new level, or they piggyback on a stage for a bigger band on a different day, you have close to no hope.

Bands/Artists who could sell it out who are likely to tour stadiums in 2020 (some may be too big):

- Springsteen 

- Madonna

- Kasabian

- Kings of Leon

- Foo Fighters

- Killers

- Metallica 

- Ariana Grande

- Taylor Swift

 

Take your pick...

I agree. I have seen Bastille few times and they are at the Arena level or smaller, not a stadium band. I agree with your list. Would LOVE The Killers at Ashton Gate. 

Other than that I don’t know who is touring. Has Elton John done his farewell tour he was talking about ? Pet Shop boys are good too for that era. Chemical Brothers would be hugely popular. Little Mix for the kids too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RedM said:

I agree. I have seen Bastille few times and they are at the Arena level or smaller, not a stadium band. I agree with your list. Would LOVE The Killers at Ashton Gate. 

Other than that I don’t know who is touring. Has Elton John done his farewell tour he was talking about ? Pet Shop boys are good too for that era. Chemical Brothers would be hugely popular. Little Mix for the kids too.

Pet Shop Boys live shows are amazing, they put real work into the show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TMWANG50 said:

Taylor Swift couldn't even sell out Wembley and Manchester as her ticket prices were too high, for the Manchester gigs they even altered the seating to make it look busier and handed out hundreds of free tickets in the lead up so I don't think she'll be back over here for a while!

She tends not to do festivals, so her only options are stadiums or the big Arenas. So our not huge stadium might be ideal for her, and I don’t think she is as popular as she was a couple of years ago. Her prices were on the high side, we tried and couldn’t get anything under £100 or so, despite £60 tickets advertised ( prob £75 by the time the hidden things are added). I’m not a great fan, but fancied going, but not at a high price. I think we went and saw Katy Perry instead in Brum, she could be another name we could attract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Pet Shop Boys live shows are amazing, they put real work into the show.

Saw them last year after wanting too for years, at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden of all places. Went as much for the venue as them, but they were good and had an amazing light show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Probably too big for us...

As is Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande. But they’re gash anyway 

I would agree, but you might be thinking of one night only gigs, now bands that sell out our sort of venues do two nights or three. That could be a possibility?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RedM said:

Saw them last year after wanting too for years, at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden of all places. Went as much for the venue as them, but they were good and had an amazing light show. 

Saw them at the 02 a couple of times and the amount, and quality, of the dancers stood out.  Set design pretty amazing too.

Jealous at the Royal Opera house gig though.  That is a seriously nice venue, walked past Bruce Willis outside whilst they were filming The Fifth Element.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wishlist

- Phil Collins

- Foos

- Red Hot Chillis

- Fatboy Slim (30k people raving would be a moment)

- Black Sabbath/ELO/AC-DC

- S Club 7 (all of them, not the 3 that do it now)

- Lewis Capaldi

- Robbie Williams

- Comedy acts like Peter Kay/Russell Howard/Jimmy Carr etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to chuck another certain sell-out into the conversation, Coldplay filled the Principality last year so should have no trouble filing the Gate, no idea what their touring plans are like though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Wishlist

- Phil Collins

- Foos

- Red Hot Chillis

- Fatboy Slim (30k people raving would be a moment)

- Black Sabbath/ELO/AC-DC

- S Club 7 (all of them, not the 3 that do it now)

- Lewis Capaldi

- Robbie Williams

- Comedy acts like Peter Kay/Russell Howard/Jimmy Carr etc

Just curious here, but how do you go from Sabbath to S-Club?

It's the sort of musical journey only @CyderInACan can take you on.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just curious here, but how do you go from Sabbath to S-Club?

It's the sort of musical journey only @CyderInACan can take you on.

It’s easily done. I’d happily go from Anthrax and Erasure to Metallica and 5ive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Comedy acts like Peter Kay/Russell Howard/Jimmy Carr etc

For the b'ball arena once built? I'd love to have another local venue for big comedy acts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Jeff Lynn's ELO

Adele

Elton John

The Eagles

Trouble is I would be skint after that.

Is Jeff Lynn's ELO similar to Frank Lampard's Derby County?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

It’s easily done. I’d happily go from Anthrax and Erasure to Metallica and 5ive. 

You're bonkers mate.

It's no wonder you lost that DJ gig to Ray Von and Spencer.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

You're bonkers mate.

It's no wonder you lost that DJ gig to Ray Von and Spencer.

He’s bonkers? 

If I could hand pick a band it’s Avenged Sevenfold. Incredible musicians - especially Lead Guitar - and a bit like muse they buy in to you need to have the stage show to back it up. Support to Metallica rather than tour their own album as an apprenticeship - albeit the stage was 50:50 as a record 

Still not sure they -avenged -  would sell out AG - definitely wouldn’t if they did Cardiff or Brum the same.

For me, if they were touring or willing to do a one off - in a particular case - I’d be looking at Guns and Roses, Sabbath / or Ozzy; even slipknot as they should be touring their latest release next year to show AG can host a rock/metal concert. 

This year rammstein would have been the cherry I’m full convinced on that. Once you show you can host them, you have demonstrated you’re a VENUE

Edited by 29AR
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just curious here, but how do you go from Sabbath to S-Club?

It's the sort of musical journey only @CyderInACan can take you on.

It’s easily done. I’d happily go from Anthrax and Erasure to Metallica and 5ive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

It’s easily done. I’d happily go from Anthrax and Erasure to Metallica and 5ive. 

 

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

It’s easily done. I’d happily go from Anthrax and Erasure to Metallica and 5ive. 

Christ, now he is on Jive Bunny with the repetition.

I hope you are going to bed soon.

That was a 20 minute remix.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

 

Christ, now he is on Jive Bunny with the repetition.

I hope you are going to bed soon.

That was a 20 minute remix.

Don’t know what happened there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RedM said:

I agree. I have seen Bastille few times and they are at the Arena level or smaller, not a stadium band. I agree with your list. Would LOVE The Killers at Ashton Gate. 

Other than that I don’t know who is touring. Has Elton John done his farewell tour he was talking about ? Pet Shop boys are good too for that era. Chemical Brothers would be hugely popular. Little Mix for the kids too.

Paul Weller

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...