IGNORED

All kicking off on mumsnet

Taking a lead from the Brexit/SYL threads on the politics forum, where page after page seems to be just 2 polar opposite camps attacking one another, some belting comments on a mumsnet thread concerning the issue of a wedding clashing with the European Cup final...

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3588812-champions-league-ban-at-wedding?pg=1&messages=100

Still reading through it, but so far my favourite comment is:

**** off. And while you're at it, kindly stuff your invitation into a dark orifice. 

Firstly, anyone getting married on the day of a huge sporting event has messed up massively. Secondly, the couple should put the game on. They might not have some of the guests attention for 90 minutes in the evening but does it really matter? 

Considering a lot of the guests are Liverpool fans, the bride and groom have got it all wrong.  I know for a fact that my wife wouldn’t mind me putting a big city game on.

My friends quite a big Spurs fan and he's getting married that day (they booked it before the fixtures came out and you'd imagine that June 1st would be ok in a non Euro/WC year). Before the Man City game I told him he wouldn't have to worry about it as they'd lose...

They are now putting it on in a room next to where the music will be, so people can go off if they wish and then come back. Seems sensible for me. If you wish to watch, you can, if you don't then you can dance/drink.

1 minute ago, bcfcbird said:

My friends quite a big Spurs fan and he's getting married that day (they booked it before the fixtures came out and you'd imagine that June 1st would be ok in a non Euro/WC year). Before the Man City game I told him he wouldn't have to worry about it as they'd lose...

They are now putting it on in a room next to where the music will be, so people can go off if they wish and then come back. Seems sensible for me. If you wish to watch, you can, if you don't then you can dance/drink.

Spot on. Although why on Earth didn’t he check the calendar before choosing that date?!

So ironically I’m getting married same date. Can’t say it’s kicked off like that though. Got a couple scouse and spurs fans coming, question has been asked. The first dance is over by then and it’s really just party time. If the minority of them want to hide in the corner huddling around phones (no tv in the function area) then that’s up to them, it’s a party at the end of the day.

That is hilarious mind.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Spot on. Although why on Earth didn’t he check the calendar before choosing that date?!

To be fair it was booked about 20 months ago.. Not sure when it comes out and he's a Spurs fan - he never thought he'd get there!

Well you can certainly pick out the football fans from the non fans on that thread, and I only scrolled down a couple of replies as there are a thousand of them. ‘Record it ?’ FFS!!!!

My personal take is watch the football, it’s great to watch in a group. If Liverpool win it will be a hell of a celebration, and if they don’t we’ll celebrate anyway it’s a wedding! 

it was me I’d put it on the biggest screen I could find and anyone who DOESN’T want to watch can pee off and find something else to do.

I hate weddings, waste of time and money and a real ‘look at me/us day’ for attention seekers.

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

Well you can certainly pick out the football fans from the non fans on that thread, and I only scrolled down a couple of replies as there are a thousand of them. Record it FFS!!!!

My personal take is watch the football, it’s great to watch in a group. If Liverpool win it will be a hell of a celebration, and if they don’t we’ll celebrate anyway it’s a wedding! 

it was me I’d put it on the biggest screen I could find and anyone who DOESN’T want to watch can pee off and find something else to do.

I hate weddings, waste of time and money and a real ‘look at me/us day’ for attention seekers.

Too right. Got married in June for about 300 quid all in and spent the rest on 6 weeks in Asia. Madness that people drop enough to buy a house on a party.

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

'Mumsnet' ?

Full or bored stay at home mummy's with nothing better to do.  I'd imagine their traffic has trebled since Jeremy Kyle was cancelled.

See plenty on facebook with "Occupation: Full Time Mummy"

Sounds like the worlds crappest spy movie. 

2 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

See plenty on facebook with "Occupation: Full Time Mummy"

Sounds like the worlds crappest spy movie. 

I'll have you know it's a very valid profession.

A few years back, I decided to go to the pub as an Egyptian king. Could I find anyone to accompany me? No.

These days, thanks to full time mummies, I can lord it up like a pyramid dwelling diva.

It is also useful for my Scooby-Doo reenactment meetings.

I've a similar dilemma coming up. 

I live abroad but on Saturday August 17th this year I am back in Bristol for the first time since moving. It's my fiancée's step-brother's wedding at the Council House. I am acutely aware that there is a chance City will be at home that day.

I've floated the idea of nipping down to AG in-between the end of the ceremony and the start of the reception - avoiding that two hour bit where you stand around making idle chit chat. I've even said that my fiancée can come as well.

But no, apparently I'm "family" (how am I family to her step-brother?) and therefore have to be present at every minute of the damn thing.

I watch for fixture release day with fingers crossed that we get the 5pm kick off on Sunday.

Football or no football, many guests spend most of the day checking their phones anyway so they won't have their whole attention regardless. I should know, I've been to over 200 weddings in the last decade. 

The B&G just have to accept it and make access to the game as easy as possible and embrace it. 

26 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Football or no football, many guests spend most of the day checking their phones anyway so they won't have their whole attention regardless. I should know, I've been to over 200 weddings in the last decade. 

The B&G just have to accept it and make access to the game as easy as possible and embrace it. 

Are you a photographer ?

I am a football fan and I hate weddings so it’s easy to guess which side I am on.

If I was at a wedding and City were playing in a big final, I’d find a pub nearby and bugger off for a few hours.  Although it’s far more likely I would go to the game instead of the wedding – even if it was my own wedding.

My Mum and Dads wedding was arranged for 7th Jan 1956, the same day that Rovers were playing Man Utd in the cup at the gasworks.

My Mum's family was full of Rovers fans including her brother who played for Rovers reserves. They pleaded to re-arrange the wedding to another day so that they could go and see the match. 

My Dad was a City fan so he refused. According to the Rovers website that 4-0 win was the biggest result in the Rovers history. That doesn't really have a great deal of competition though, does it?

1 hour ago, solihull cider red said:

Somewhere, in a parallel universe, a link to a fiery OTIB topic has been posted on mumsnet

Just waiting for robbored to hijack the mums net thread as the wedding has not yet been confirmed on the OS

I got married on FA Cup Final day (not this year), the only football fans there were City fans so I was pretty confident booking the date that we wouldn't have been in the final (obviously I'd have re-arranged things if the miraculous had happened!). If you have a bunch of Liverpool fans coming though I don't know why you'd book it on a cup final day, they made it to the CL final last season so it wasn't impossible the conceive it would happen again. Certainly more likely than us being in the FA Cup Final!

Archived