IGNORED

All kicking off on mumsnet

1 hour ago, Flint says No said:

The most surprising thing about this is that there’s actually a website called “mumsnet”

There is dadsnet as well...

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

Too right. Got married in June for about 300 quid all in and spent the rest on 6 weeks in Asia. Madness that people drop enough to buy a house on a party.

And not to mention the bloody ring.  Over here the 'guidance' is 2 months salary!!!  F off.  It's only in my more recent years I have spent that much on a car!

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Well you can certainly pick out the football fans from the non fans on that thread, and I only scrolled down a couple of replies as there are a thousand of them. ‘Record it ?’ FFS!!!!

My personal take is watch the football, it’s great to watch in a group. If Liverpool win it will be a hell of a celebration, and if they don’t we’ll celebrate anyway it’s a wedding! 

it was me I’d put it on the biggest screen I could find and anyone who DOESN’T want to watch can pee off and find something else to do.

I hate weddings, waste of time and money and a real ‘look at me/us day’ for attention seekers.

Modern Britain,not so much keeping up with the jones’s,but out doing the jones’s.

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

Spot on. Although why on Earth didn’t he check the calendar before choosing that date?!

You really think he’d have thought that Spurs might be in the final anyway..?! I doubt anyone thought that was very likely in the slightest. 

Still, they probably don’t go to many games anyway, so missing another one shouldn’t bother them too much..!

4 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

See plenty on facebook with "Occupation: Full Time Mummy"

Sounds like the worlds crappest spy movie. 

Hate that phrase. They wear is as a badge of honour, and it’s particularly effective at making mums who have no choice but to go back to work feel inadequate.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Is mumsnet crossed with fishnet, milfnet?

but take it a bit too far and you end up with hairnet. :shocking:

hairnet.jpg.72a94274116cecdd194122770b936cfd.jpg

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You really think he’d have thought that Spurs might be in the final anyway..?! I doubt anyone thought that was very likely in the slightest. 

Still, they probably don’t go to many games anyway, so missing another one shouldn’t bother them too much..!

Don’t book it for then just in case 

4 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Football or no football, many guests spend most of the day checking their phones anyway so they won't have their whole attention regardless. I should know, I've been to over 200 weddings in the last decade. 

The B&G just have to accept it and make access to the game as easy as possible and embrace it. 

how much do you charge for weddings nowadays vicar?

A few weeks before the end of the season I told my 15 y/o I wouldn’t be able to make any playoff first leg as I had an invite to a wedding. In disbelief she asked who was getting married. I told her it was a mate who is a Villa fan. She asked (Totally seriously) “If Villa make the playoffs will he cancel it?”

4 hours ago, ukneil said:

And not to mention the bloody ring.  Over here the 'guidance' is 2 months salary!!!  F off.  It's only in my more recent years I have spent that much on a car!

The 2 month salary guidance was an advertising campaign by debeers (sp) who bizarrely own most of the diamonds in the world, go figure.

A few years back i went to vegas to watch some of my friends get married.

It was booked a year in advance and i was going to be there FA Cup final weekend.

So i did the right thing and informed them that if (by some miracle) Bristol City were in the final... My plans would change and unfortunately id arrive the day after the wedding. 

To this day they still think i was joking. 

2 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

It was booked a year in advance and i was going to be there FA Cup final weekend.

So i did the right thing and informed them that if (by some miracle) Bristol City were in the final... My plans would change and unfortunately id arrive the day after the wedding. 

Of course you were joking.

Had City reached the cup final you'd have arrived 3 days after the wedding.

Had my wedding and reception a couple of years back when we had Villa at home on the Friday night, insisted that we’d be finding somewhere for the reception that would be showing it, to be fair to her she agreed to it in the end, reluctantly.

18 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I've a similar dilemma coming up. 

I live abroad but on Saturday August 17th this year I am back in Bristol for the first time since moving. It's my fiancée's step-brother's wedding at the Council House. I am acutely aware that there is a chance City will be at home that day.

I've floated the idea of nipping down to AG in-between the end of the ceremony and the start of the reception - avoiding that two hour bit where you stand around making idle chit chat. I've even said that my fiancée can come as well.

But no, apparently I'm "family" (how am I family to her step-brother?) and therefore have to be present at every minute of the damn thing.

I watch for fixture release day with fingers crossed that we get the 5pm kick off on Sunday.

My non football loving sister arranged to get married and went all out with a big wedding and lavish reception, she chose September for some reason. I told her if football was home I wasn’t going for at least some of it, the wedding by pure luck was at Ashton Gate (church near Lidl, not that Lidl was there back then) she thought I was joking but I told her from the off. The wedding was at 10.30 so 3pm KO should have been fine, dodge to the match between reception and night time do. 

Well this was years ago and City and Rovers were playing in the same division, yes you guessed it City were at home to the Gas, the biggest match of the season back then. I think the KO was early too, midday maybe. Anyway I went to the wedding, quick change into my football gear and went to the match. Totally missed the reception, speeches, photos, cake cutting crap so a right result as far as I’m concerned. I did go to the reception a lot later in the evening though. 

She was okay about it as I said from the start I was going to football over her wedding. It was never mentioned after, no doubt I upset some people but maybe it was the start of me learning to do what I wanted and not to please others all the time. 

14 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Hate that phrase. They wear is as a badge of honour, and it’s particularly effective at making mums who have no choice but to go back to work feel inadequate.

It's crap. Some of the most horrible 'gatekeeping' comes from mums groups. I've seen a few things on facebook claiming women who had a cesarian aren't real mums.

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

It's crap. Some of the most horrible 'gatekeeping' comes from mums groups. I've seen a few things on facebook claiming women who had a cesarian aren't real mums.

I can believe it, sadly. I also know that my wife works as a teacher (a career she chose deliberately to fit family life), had two cesarians and I don’t know a better mother!

21 hours ago, RobArnold10 said:

So ironically I’m getting married same date. Can’t say it’s kicked off like that though. Got a couple scouse and spurs fans coming, question has been asked. The first dance is over by then and it’s really just party time. If the minority of them want to hide in the corner huddling around phones (no tv in the function area) then that’s up to them, it’s a party at the end of the day.

That is hilarious mind.

With that attitude I'd be surprised if those fans turn up to your wedding. No doubt your wedding is important but to them the final will most likely be more important, I suggest you be a little more accommodating.

I think the Caesarian thing comes from a few years back ‘Too Posh to Push’. There were a lot of celebs, who were paying for private deliveries,  opting for Cesarians not only to fit the baby into their schedule ( what a horrific thought) but they realised the baby would most likely come out ‘perfect’ and photo ready not having been squashed through the birth canal. I think this is a hit back at them. I certainly don’t agree with either side. 

15 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Hahaha well said and here here, told the Mrs the exact same if we ever got married: I'd be checking the dates religiously and it would have to be a non World Cup/Euro year and avoid all possible cup final days, even though the chances of City ever being in such a position are very slim.

Unfortunately there's a big divide between footy fans and non-fans. Some people really don't understand the passion and obsession. And on the flip-side I can't understand why non-fans don't get our position on it all. 

Archived