IGNORED

Budget Mobile Phones

Ashton Yate

Can anyone more tech savvy than me recommend a decent SIM free android phone for under £200? I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and looking for something new. Been looking at Samsung A or J range, Motorola, Nokia, Huawei/Honor and Xiaomi models, all which look fairly good at under £200, but no experience of either so don't know what's best to go for. Huawei/Honor phones look good, but worried about the Google issues. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Have had the Motorola Moto G, then the Motorola Moto G4 which I still have.

Brilliant phones for the price.

If I needed to replace it now I'd have no hesitation going for the Motorola Moto G6.

Just three reviews below.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/motorola/1406990/moto-g6-review-budget

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/moto-g6-review

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/moto-g6-3675716/

(You're not the same Ashton Yate that used to moan about the academy, and what a waste of money it was, are you???)

:rofl2br:

26 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Have had the Motorola Moto G, then the Motorola Moto G4 which I still have.

Brilliant phones for the price.

If I needed to replace it now I'd have no hesitation going for the Motorola Moto G6.

Just three reviews below.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/motorola/1406990/moto-g6-review-budget

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/moto-g6-review

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/moto-g6-3675716/

(You're not the same Ashton Yate that used to moan about the academy, and what a waste of money it was, are you???)

:rofl2br:

Thanks, will take a look at that one.

No I'm not him! Didn't realise there was another one! For the record I am firmly in the other camp. £30m raised on academy players in last 12 months is certainly value for money!

5 hours ago, Ashton Yate said:

Thanks, will take a look at that one.

No I'm not him! Didn't realise there was another one! For the record I am firmly in the other camp. £30m raised on academy players in last 12 months is certainly value for money!

Thank goodness for that!!!

He hasn't been on here for about 5 years or so.

Used to want the club to get rid of the academy to save money!

:facepalm:

I agree with you though, £30 million has been a fantastic return.

:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

He passed away about 5 years ago.

5 hours ago, Redtucks said:

I argued with ashtonyate perhaps more than anybody else on here about the academy.  I think he'd have been delighted to see how it was coming on.

I went from an s6 to honor 9 about 10 months ago and I have to say the honer is a brilliant phone. Does everything well. Very similar layout to the Samsung so easy transition. Only downside is different charging plug to the usual micro USB thing. Then there's the impending restrictions on huawei so no more updates after August (I think) and who knows what else? 

Great phone but probably a bit of a gamble at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Gakoe said:

I went from an s6 to honor 9 about 10 months ago and I have to say the honer is a brilliant phone. Does everything well. Very similar layout to the Samsung so easy transition. Only downside is different charging plug to the usual micro USB thing. Then there's the impending restrictions on huawei so no more updates after August (I think) and who knows what else? 

Great phone but probably a bit of a gamble at the moment. 

Thanks. Yes I do like the look of the Honor and Huawei phones, but just a bit wary of what's going on with the Google stuff. Probably a good time to buy then in all fairness as the prices are dropping, but it is a risk.

On 26/05/2019 at 14:31, Ashton Yate said:

Thanks. Yes I do like the look of the Honor and Huawei phones, but just a bit wary of what's going on with the Google stuff. Probably a good time to buy then in all fairness as the prices are dropping, but it is a risk.

I’m in the same situation. I have a Samsung s6 edge plus, great phone but getting old now and hasn’t been supported for a while. Was going to jump back to a Huawei, I had one several phones ago when they were relatively new and unknown, I believe the quality has improved greatly since I owned mine, it basically saw out my contract and it just about had it. Now the phones are great quality it seems. I have never gone for Apple phones, and Samsung’s are nice but a bit full of bloatware and of course hugely expensive.

I’m not sure this Huawei/Google dispute will be sorted out anytime soon though so i’m limping on at the moment.

Been using Chinese phones for years. Bought the Oppo Find 7 when it came out and was a fantastic phone I still have as a spare. 

Now I'm using the Xiaomi Pocophone after a recommendation. Not their latest model and there may now be a better value Xiaomi out there. Superb phone for the price and probably a few bargain deals out there now. 

Anyone got the new Samsung Galaxy A range? There is a great deal on at Samsung with £100 trade in for any old phone and £50 cash back and I am very tempted. Can get A50 for £159 or A70 for £209 if all comes off, just don't know how to choose between the two. I know that A70 is larger, but I have held both in a store and there isn't actually much difference. Does anybody have experience of either of these phones? Are they worth the price and is the A70 worth the extra £50? Any help gratefully received. 

Archived