IGNORED

Terry Cooper reduced me to tears ...

BS4 on Tour...

6 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Me to

After 1982 Terry picked up our club by the scruff of its neck and dragged us upwards and onwards - his contribution to our history cannot be ignored - he gave everything to bringing Bristol City back from the brink - he’s a true legend - and that interview after our first ever appearance at Wembley just has me in tears, every time - 33 years ago today .... never forget ...

And me too. Have a lovely memory of TC from a year earlier I think. We all remember how he brought the club through times of hardship and back almost single handedly.

Well some may remember that he said at one point that his office was open to any fan at any time. I was working at Eagle House Youth Centre and being cynical thought I would test him out.

The next day I phoned the ground to complain that no Bristol City player had been seen in Knowle West for a long time and how they should send a player to coach our kids. To my great surprise I was put straight through to Terry. “Eh lad what can I do for you” like he was talking to one of his players. He quickly agreed to send a player to us and asked if there was anything else that I would like. I told him a stadium tour for my boys would be good and he said “hang on I will find out who the guy is to speak to about that.” After a fairly lengthy pause he came back to the phone and said “well apparently you’re speaking to the man that organises the tours”.

He called me back later on having arranged the tour and asked me if I could pop down the ground the next evening to pick up a player and take him to meet the boys. Next day I went down and David Moyes literally having just signed for us that day was waiting, as he was once a week from then on. What times they were Terry Cooper an absolute legend and Moysie who was inspirational to a bunch of young Knowle Westers’.

29 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

And me too. Have a lovely memory of TC from a year earlier I think. We all remember how he brought the club through times of hardship and back almost single handedly.

Well some may remember that he said at one point that his office was open to any fan at any time. I was working at Eagle House Youth Centre and being cynical thought I would test him out.

The next day I phoned the ground to complain that no Bristol City player had been seen in Knowle West for a long time and how they should send a player to coach our kids. To my great surprise I was put straight through to Terry. “Eh lad what can I do for you” like he was talking to one of his players. He quickly agreed to send a player to us and asked if there was anything else that I would like. I told him a stadium tour for my boys would be good and he said “hang on I will find out who the guy is to speak to about that.” After a fairly lengthy pause he came back to the phone and said “well apparently you’re speaking to the man that organises the tours”.

He called me back later on having arranged the tour and asked me if I could pop down the ground the next evening to pick up a player and take him to meet the boys. Next day I went down and David Moyes literally having just signed for us that day was waiting, as he was once a week from then on. What times they were Terry Cooper an absolute legend and Moysie who was inspirational to a bunch of young Knowle Westers’.

What a fantastic story! That just reiterates anything I ever thought about Terry Cooper. 

CTID...x

A little footnote to my story. We arrived at Eagle House the next evening to an excited bunch of kids. Moysie introduces himself and asked if anyone had any questions. A little lad about 11 asked him how much we had paid for him. When Moysie said the fee the angelic lad looked up and said “**** off was it”. Welcome to Knowle West” I thought :laugh: although Moysie told me on the way back it reminded him of Glasgow in his younger days, and he loved it.

Didn’t Terry Cooper give up the chance to lead the team out at Wembley to his assistant Clive Middlemass? ( what is he doing now?) That was typical of the man. 

Great days, so happy to have experienced them. I don’t think even our double season a few years ago even came close for me, back then it was such a struggle with bargain finds and goodwill that it made it even more special. 

An absolute legend in my eyes. Without him and what he did for us back then God knows where the club would be now.

Those of us who went through 82 and came out the other side will never forget or underestimate his commitment, dedication and determination and we were incredibly lucky that a man like him was leading our club during those dark times.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

An absolute legend in my eyes. Without him and what he did for us back then God knows where the club would be now.

Those of us who went through 82 and came out the other side will never forget or underestimate his commitment, dedication and determination and we were incredibly lucky that a man like him was leading our club during those dark times.

Absolutely. Very well said. 

Just a thought, I really hope he gets to see some of these thoughts and feelings now. All too often these things are said much too late if you know what I mean. 

8 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Great story that, thanks for sharing.

A giant of a man as far as I'm concerned. How he got all those weedy looking kids like Rob Newman and Jon Economou to perform against full grown, street wise older opponent's in that first season in Div Four, I will never know.

And to get promotion the next season was incredible and beyond all expectations.

Without him, Des Williams and all those who put their £'s into the club, would we even exist today?

8 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

A little footnote to my story. We arrived at Eagle House the next evening to an excited bunch of kids. Moysie introduces himself and asked if anyone had any questions. A little lad about 11 asked him how much we had paid for him. When Moysie said the fee the angelic lad looked up and said “**** off was it”. Welcome to Knowle West” I thought :laugh: although Moysie told me on the way back it reminded him of Glasgow in his younger days, and he loved it.

I helped out at Broad Plain House Youth Club and each year we had a "Club Supper'" a sort of posh do for us Knowle West kids. TC was guest of honour one year and gave a brilliant inspirational speech about how he started in the local coal mine and through true grit and determination became a pro footballer and an international. And I can tell you it was inspirational. He then answered kids questions and didn't leave until 11 o clock that night even with a game next day

A truly inspirational man.

How many times did I use the word "inspirational" sums the guy up!

It’s an overused term these days but he really is a City legend. 

I was a mascot back in the 84/85 season and TC was an absolute gentleman. Took time to introduce me to all the players and made sure that I took a few shots at John Shaw in front of the East End (including a beast of a goal) during the pre game warm up. Genuinely one of life’s great guys. 

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

It’s an overused term these days but he really is a City legend. 

I was a mascot back in the 84/85 season and TC was an absolute gentleman. Took time to introduce me to all the players and made sure that I took a few shots at John Shaw in front of the East End (including a beast of a goal) during the pre game warm up. Genuinely one of life’s great guys. 

Any photos?

TC started the revival of our club and his last sentence about Bristol City being at AG in 50 years is very poignant and relevant as well as his comment regards the training ground which we didn’t have at the time or a penny to scratch our ass with

We have come a very long way since that great day and I am so glad I was part of the journey down but more so the journey back up

TC should get recognised by the club before it’s too late sadly, he did so much for us and it’s about time the board got him back down as a match day guest - perhaps name one of the stands the Terry Cooper stand - he deserves this accolade at the very least!!

54 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Surely if the fans of that bunch up the road can get some random bloke from Argentina over to the tented village then we mighty reds fans can do something similar for Terry to honour him and give us the opportunity to show our appreciation. Anyone up for it ?

I would suggest lobbying the club and starting a petition to get TC recognised would be a good starting point

8 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I would suggest lobbying the club and starting a petition to get TC recognised would be a good starting point

Personally I think it would be better as a fans initiative as these things tend to get watered down by the club who have had many years to sort it. Maybe Dolly and the Supporters Trust if they are interested or Section 82. I am happy to help in any way with the organising assuming TC is up to it these days. 

9 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It took 35 years for a player (Diedhiou) to live there though. ???

Popped in to see any transfer news and.  Breaking my OTIB exile for this

Great post

Great thread

And legends are ‘discussed’ often on here 

Quite simple.    Terry Cooper was an absolute legend in this Clubs history , and notably survival , let alone a happy resurrection

I don’t think I missed a game in TCs era , And tough it was as a club but fun , so much fun and togetherness

Beryl Fudge (Another Proper Club legend in my eyes) was the one to tell more about Terry 

I spent many hours at games and in the shop , chatting to Beryl about what TC had been up to behind the scenes

As for Walsh’s , TC and Clive Middlemass hired a van and moved Walshys furniture themselves ! down from the North East 

The things he did behind the scenes to keep this club going were mainly unknown to supporters and the man literally kept life breathing in our  lub

Difficult to explain to those who are young enough to have missed this era just how important this man was to our Club and it’s survival

The fact that we all roll up to a newly revamped AG and watch our Club punching it out in the Championship is down to Terry Cooper as it is to Steve Lansdown 

I firmly believe without TC (And I make no apologies for again highlighting Beryl Fudge who was incredible in all the things she did behind the scenes) we may have been set for a long period in the basement, if we survived at all

I find it sad that TC is not more recognised or revered by the Club 

Would like to see him guest of honour for a game every season , Leeds would be a good one to start 

A Cooper South Stand would be good........

If the club aren’t inclined to do anything ,  Id be all for us supporters doing something and whilst TC is still with us

(So sad when things are done after someone leaves us)

A Statue or tribute / recognition on Marina Dolman Way - funded by supporters ? 

Id certainly be up for making a decent donation as I’m sure many of my vintage would too

Thankyou TC a Proper Club Legend Bless you

Archived