IGNORED

Terry Cooper reduced me to tears ...

BS4 on Tour...

That first Freight Rover Final I suppose I must have been one of the first in the queue to get tickets at AG.

When my turn came at the Williams stand side hatch I asked for 4 tickets.

'Here you are lad, enjoy the day, you fans deserve to.'

It was Terry Cooper himself in there selling the tickets!

And that promotion game at Sealand Road remains one of my all time best and most memorable days following City.

Great days, and a great man.

A fans tribute held when we play Leeds next season would be fitting, with TC guest of honour, health permitting of course.

Naming a box after him doesn’t feel right to me, too corporate for a hands on legend. Perhaps the singing section should have a name “Cooper’s Corner” “TC’s”.

He deserves a lasting tribute too, perhaps Banksy could knock up a mural ⚽

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Popped in to see any transfer news and.  Breaking my OTIB exile for this

Great post

Great thread

And legends are ‘discussed’ often on here 

Quite simple.    Terry Cooper was an absolute legend in this Clubs history , and notably survival , let alone a happy resurrection

I don’t think I missed a game in TCs era , And tough it was as a club but fun , so much fun and togetherness

Beryl Fudge (Another Proper Club legend in my eyes) was the one to tell more about Terry 

I spent many hours at games and in the shop , chatting to Beryl about what TC had been up to behind the scenes

As for Walsh’s , TC and Clive Middlemass hired a van and moved Walshys furniture themselves ! down from the North East 

The things he did behind the scenes to keep this club going were mainly unknown to supporters and the man literally kept life breathing in our  lub

Difficult to explain to those who are young enough to have missed this era just how important this man was to our Club and it’s survival

The fact that we all roll up to a newly revamped AG and watch our Club punching it out in the Championship is down to Terry Cooper as it is to Steve Lansdown 

I firmly believe without TC (And I make no apologies for again highlighting Beryl Fudge who was incredible in all the things she did behind the scenes) we may have been set for a long period in the basement, if we survived at all

I find it sad that TC is not more recognised or revered by the Club 

Would like to see him guest of honour for a game every season , Leeds would be a good one to start 

A Cooper South Stand would be good........

If the club aren’t inclined to do anything ,  Id be all for us supporters doing something and whilst TC is still with us

(So sad when things are done after someone leaves us)

A Statue or tribute / recognition on Marina Dolman Way - funded by supporters ? 

Id certainly be up for making a decent donation as I’m sure many of my vintage would too

Thankyou TC a Proper Club Legend Bless you

Fantastic post and I hope someone with influence at the club reads this thread. Let's do something good and worthy while he's still with us.

Yes the word 'legend' is over-used these days, and Terry Cooper is more deserving of the accolade than anyone else I can think of.

3 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Wasn't it 70k?

I too remember it being £18,000. Probably quite a lot of money for us back then but he paid for himself over and over. Wasn’t it settled by a tribunal which was quite common back then and usually favoured the buying side?

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I wouldn't mind the SS being named the Terry Cooper Stand, or even the fan zone being called the Terry Cooper Fan zone (but I wouldn't want to think a carpark or stretch of tarmac was being named after him).

Marina Dolman has a ‘Way’, so maybe when the Wickes Dreams site is developed TC could have similar which would be fitting?

I am loving all the replies on here and having made the suggestion earlier I do feel that it would be a privilege to do something and maybe on two levels.

Firstly if at all possible to gather fan support to fund a trip over where we can show him some of the love we clearly have for him and secondly to co-ordinate a campaign that the club give a suitable honour (statue/ stand naming whatever) to this man who for many of us is a legend above all others. I guess it’s going to involve a lot of work and time which is no problem for me but I would welcome help from anyone else interested to make these things happen. I do have some media/press experience so that won’t be a problem.

All suggestions/help will be gratefully received.  

Remember TC as our 40 year old sub. Would only come on for the last few minutes if we were struggling, putting himself on the left wing and inducing a few fouls and getting a free kick and a respite for the team. Great player as well as a saviour.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I am loving all the replies on here and having made the suggestion earlier I do feel that it would be a privilege to do something and maybe on two levels.

Firstly if at all possible to gather fan support to fund a trip over where we can show him some of the love we clearly have for him and secondly to co-ordinate a campaign that the club give a suitable honour (statue/ stand naming whatever) to this man who for many of us is a legend above all others. I guess it’s going to involve a lot of work and time which is no problem for me but I would welcome help from anyone else interested to make these things happen. I do have some media/press experience so that won’t be a problem.

All suggestions/help will be gratefully received.  

Fully supportive of this Johnny

The only thing I’d suggest is , certainly in terms of a suitable recognition stadium wise , that the Club are approached initially and it is asked whether , or suggested that , something is done to to recognise him

If not I firmly believe that we fans , or those that wish to , do something (With Club co-operation of course)

As for getting TC over for Leeds next season for example - I think it would be great 

Surely we could come up with flights , accommodation and some hospitality for the day ?

The obvious thing would be for (In terms of a permanent recognition -statue or likewise) t to be arranged through the Supporters Trust Or is this one done better and possible via OTIB etc ?

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The only thing I’d suggest is , certainly in terms of a suitable recognition stadium wise , that the Club are approached initially and it is asked whether , or suggested that , something is done to to recognise him

If not I firmly believe that we fans , or those that wish to , do something (With Club co-operation of course)

As for getting TC over for Leeds next season for example - I think it would be great 

Surely we could come up with flights , accommodation and some hospitality for the day ?

The obvious thing would be for (In terms of a permanent recognition -statue or likewise) t to be arranged through the Supporters Trust Or is this one done better and possible via OTIB etc ?

Nice to see you back BBSB 

21 minutes ago, RedM said:

I too remember it being £18,000. Probably quite a lot of money for us back then but he paid for himself over and over. Wasn’t it settled by a tribunal which was quite common back then and usually favoured the buying side?

My recall is often tested on here but as I remember we offered 20k, they wanted 30k. Cooper himself went to the tribunal and made the point that if they really rated Walsh that highly, they would have been paying him better. So we ended up getting him for less than we originally offered. :)

34 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

My recall is often tested on here but as I remember we offered 20k, they wanted 30k. Cooper himself went to the tribunal and made the point that if they really rated Walsh that highly, they would have been paying him better. So we ended up getting him for less than we originally offered. :)

He pulled that kind of stunt all the time. Picked up some gems for next to nothing (and had to, because we were beyond skint at the time). As well as Walshy, Glyn Riley and Alan Crawford spring to mind, among others. He was often referred to in the local rag as "silver-tongued" because of his renowned ability to sweet talk players into signing and clubs into selling for peanuts. The bloke was a bloody genius, as well as lovable. Oh, and a fantastic player in his day, too.

I am so, so pleased to see this initiative has been launched to recognise his immense contribution. Well done to all concerned. Nobody deserves it more and it would be great for him to be made aware of the high esteem and affection in which he is still held here after all the time that's passed since he was manager. All due respect to Alan Dicks and a number of others who served the club with distinction, but for me only one man stands out as having done the most important job for us in my time as a supporter (which is of the order of half a century now) and that is unquestionably Coops. Absolutely top, top bloke.

46 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks for your support Bob, nice to have you back. I am contacting a few people I know over the weekend and will approach the club after the Bank Holiday. It has started here on OTIB so I am more than happy for it to be seen as an OTIB campaign or Supporters Trust Campaign if the relevant people let me know. Happy to share my contact details with anyone that wants to get involved and certainly if raising money would prefer the money side handled by one of the supporters groups if possible. Happy to lead this or support other/s whatever people prefer.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Thanks for your support Bob, nice to have you back. I am contacting a few people I know over the weekend and will approach the club after the Bank Holiday. It has started here on OTIB so I am more than happy for it to be seen as an OTIB campaign or Supporters Trust Campaign if the relevant people let me know. Happy to share my contact details with anyone that wants to get involved and certainly if raising money would prefer the money side handled by one of the supporters groups if possible. Happy to lead this or support other/s whatever people prefer.

Happy to contribute through an appropriate channel if a fund is set up.

2 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

He pulled that kind of stunt all the time. Picked up some gems for next to nothing (and had to, because we were beyond skint at the time). As well as Walshy, Glyn Riley and Alan Crawford spring to mind, among others. He was often referred to in the local rag as "silver-tongued" because of his renowned ability to sweet talk players into signing and clubs into selling for peanuts. The bloke was a bloody genius, as well as lovable. Oh, and a fantastic player in his day, too.

I am so, so pleased to see this initiative has been launched to recognise his immense contribution. Well done to all concerned. Nobody deserves it more and it would be great for him to be made aware of the high esteem in which he is still held here after all the time that's passed since he was manager. All due respect to Alan Dicks and a number of others who served the club with distinction, but for me only one man stands out as having done the most important job for us in my time as a supporter (which is of the order of half a century now) and that is unquestionably Coops. Absolutely top, top bloke.

I am out of likes/emoji’s today but totally agree with you on his standing after over half a century of support myself

3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I am out of likes/emoji’s today but totally agree with you on his standing after over half a century of support myself

Funny isn't it, how one man can inspire so much affection  in a club's support base after such a long time? I'm pretty cynical about the world of football these days, but this thread has evoked a genuinely emotional response in me, soppy old fool that I am. Not all present day fans can remember him, but nevertheless I would confidently predict a standing ovation if this initiative results in him being announced to the AG crowd on a matchday. 

Now that couldn't fail to bring a tear to the eye.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I’m not very up with use of social media / fund raising but happy to assist or support in any way I could Johnny

Just a thought - Richard Latham would be worth contacting and getting on board , he’s had a fair bit of contact with Coops Having recently written the Wembley 86 book and I’m sure  would be supportive and help promote 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just a thought -Richard Latham would be worth contacting and getting on board , he’s had a fair bit of contact with Coops Having recently written the Wembley 86 book and I’m sure  would be supportive and help promote 

Good shout that. Latham himself seems a good bloke and I think he would respond positively to an approach.

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m not very up with use of social media / fund raising but happy to assist or support in any way I could Johnny

Just a thought - Richard Latham would be worth contacting and getting on board , he’s had a fair bit of contact with Coops Having recently written the Wembley 86 book and I’m sure  would be supportive and help promote 

Thanks Bob will put him on my list

I remember his days with us very well. That was the time I was most frequently at AG - stood in the East End half way up behind the goal. 

I know he had heart problems recently - about the time his son was managing Swindon during our promotion season under Cotts. 

I wish him well and would certainly support some sort of recognition initiative. 

6 hours ago, INCRED said:

TC started the revival of our club and his last sentence about Bristol City being at AG in 50 years is very poignant and relevant as well as his comment regards the training ground which we didn’t have at the time or a penny to scratch our ass with

We have come a very long way since that great day and I am so glad I was part of the journey down but more so the journey back up

TC should get recognised by the club before it’s too late sadly, he did so much for us and it’s about time the board got him back down as a match day guest - perhaps name one of the stands the Terry Cooper stand - he deserves this accolade at the very least!!

Totally agree mate, TC did wonders for this club. We were at our lowest ebb and he turned the club around, not with money, but with coaching and a very big heart.

Get him to walk out on the pitch before a game or at half time, what an ovation we would give him.

As others have said, something at AG should be named after him. He’s a major part of why our club is still actually going.

Archived