IGNORED

Max O Leary

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sounds like he must eligible for them then, but wonder if he will accept McCarthy's invitation?

He`d be daft if he didn`t IMO. Unless he really believes in himself and thinks he might play for England one day a shot at international football isn`t to be turned down.

15 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sounds like he must eligible for them then, but wonder if he will accept McCarthy's invitation?

If your surname starts with O’ or ends in O, that’s you qualified, unless you’re Tony Cascarino, who just fibbed!

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

He`d be daft if he didn`t IMO. Unless he really believes in himself and thinks he might play for England one day a shot at international football isn`t to be turned down.

Not really.

I wouldn't accept a call up if I qualified for Ireland because I very much consider myself to be English.

Perhaps he's the same - there's no point accepting a call up for a country you have no genuine affiliation with imo.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Been training with them today in Portugal.

His grand father is from Kerry.

I think everyone has a bit of Irish in them, for such a small nation they certainly got around ?*

*For advoidance of doubt I qualify through my Father. Trouble is I’m too old, not a goalkeeper and a girlie, other than that I think I’m good.

19 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It’s a chance at international football, even if he isn’t himself Irish. But how many of the ROI squad were born in the Emerald Isle? Isn’t the collective noun for a squad of ROI footballers ‘an acquaintance’. 

It`s more than it used to be TBF. Of the 11 that started their last match v Georgia only two weren`t born in Ireland, Keogh & McGoldrick

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not really.

I wouldn't accept a call up if I qualified for Ireland because I very much consider myself to be English.

Perhaps he's the same - there's no point accepting a call up for a country you have no genuine affiliation with imo.

With family from Kerry and O’Leary as a surname, I suspect he feels some affiliation.

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I think everyone has a bit of Irish in them, for such a small nation they certainly got around ?*

*For advoidance of doubt I qualify through my Father. Trouble is I’m too old, not a goalkeeper and a girlie, other than that I think I’m good.

We signed someone like that from New Zealand, last season.

This is great news for both City and Max. A good boost for his career and his CV. 

Max has stepped up to the plate when we needed him this season and this is a great reward. It also gives him a chance to train with a different group of players and maybe will improve his game in other ways. 

Dare I say it but things like international caps also put players in the shop window and add a few quid on to their value as well. 

Even that Lockyer lad up there in Horfield must be worth a few extra quid to the sags with his 5 Welsh caps..... What? They released him on free you say? Oh. 

?

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not really.

You'd turn down the chance to possibly play in a European Championship or a World cup just because you wasn't born on the island or Ireland? 

Archived