IGNORED

Max O Leary

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

You'd turn down the chance to possibly play in a European Championship or a World cup just because you wasn't born on the island or Ireland? 

I would turn it down as well. I'm quarter German through one of my grandparents but I have never met that part of my family and consider myself to be 100% English. 

I would have no interest in every playing for any other nation.

Well I was born in England, live in England and have two English parents but I would happily represent the Democratic Republic of the Congo if my great grandfather’s sister’s uncle’s third cousin had been there on a stag weekend in 1978, and it meant I got to experience a World Cup as a player.

Sorry, I know some won’t like that, I support England and everything but I don’t take a huge amount of my identity from my nationality and wouldn’t let it stop me having an amazing life experience.

Forza Congo!

International football is a bit of a poor relation to the might of the big prosperous leagues where they pick most  of their players.

It used to be about ‘ discovery ‘ and ‘ exoticism ‘ but it is rare these days to come across a ‘ Roger Milla ‘ or a ‘ total ‘ football style that shook the world.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And is that our Max in goal ?

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

You'd turn down the chance to possibly play in a European Championship or a World cup just because you wasn't born on the island or Ireland? 

Of course I'd turn it down. As much as anything else I'd feel a fraud.

I was born in England, I've grown up in England and lived here all my life; I'm indisputably English.

I'm proud of that and I certainly wouldn't opt to represent another country just because it was offered and a relative was born there.

He'll no doubt be known as 'Irishman Max O'leary' in future match reports - and indeed for the rest of his life - but is he? :dunno:

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If your surname starts with O’ or ends in O, that’s you qualified, unless you’re Tony Cascarino, who just fibbed!

The Irish/Gaelic spelling of Cascarino is Tobesuretobesure, so he qualified OK. 

14 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It’s a chance at international football, even if he isn’t himself Irish. But how many of the ROI squad were born in the Emerald Isle? Isn’t the collective noun for a squad of ROI footballers ‘an acquaintance’. 

Not very pc but there used to be a similar joke doing the rounds many years ago what do you call a group of Irishmen, a thicket!

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was born in England, I've grown up in England and lived here all my life; I'm indisputably English.

I'm proud of that and I certainly wouldn't opt to represent another country just because it was offered and a relative was born there.

He'll no doubt be known as 'Irishman Max O'leary' in future match reports - and indeed for the rest of his life - but is he? :dunno:

Each to their own.

Ultimately it depends entirely on your upbringing. You can be born in England, but raised to Irish parents, with more Irish blood in you than English and with a direct Irish influence raising you. You could be Irish in all but accent. It's entirely subjective.

This doesn't describe me but I was born in England and wouldn't hesitate to represent Ireland in anything. And I don't blame any English-born person who does.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It has nothing to do with where you were born. It's all about heritage and blood IMO. If for example you were born in China to English parents that wouldn't make you Chinese would it?! Fair paly and good luck to Max

37 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Each to their own.

Ultimately it depends entirely on your upbringing. You can be born in England, but raised to Irish parents, with more Irish blood in you than English and with a direct Irish influence raising you. You could be Irish in all but accent. It's entirely subjective.

This doesn't describe me but I was born in England and wouldn't hesitate to represent Ireland in anything. And I don't blame any English-born person who does.

Agreed

Tommy Doc won a few caps for Northern Ireland first team, IIRC the first time he set foot in NI was to play for them in Belfast (OK apart from the airport/hotel bit).  I seem to remember Louis Carey played for Scotland U21s, yet he got homesick when he moved up to the road to Coventry for a few months!

On 26/05/2019 at 11:53, Nogbad the Bad said:

The Irish parliament passed a law to say that he, and anyone else with a parent or grandparent born on the island of Ireland, is Irish. So he is.

I could have played for Holland or England, the fact of the matter was the likes of seedorf, Davids, Bergkamp etc were ahead of me.......by quite a bit too!

I could have played for Holland or England, the fact of the matter was the likes of seedorf, Davids, Bergkamp etc were ahead of me.......by quite a bit too!

Didn't fancy starting a new thread so just put it here, where do we think he'll end up this season then?

Off the top of my head both Plymouth and Newport require new goalkeepers. Both League 2 but still think a full season on loan at that level would be a great move. 

7 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Didn't fancy starting a new thread so just put it here, where do we think he'll end up this season then?

Off the top of my head both Plymouth and Newport require new goalkeepers. Both League 2 but still think a full season on loan at that level would be a great move. 

Reckon he could go L1. He might not end up there but I think he's got the ability to be consistently decent at that level

8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Based on how well he did for us in the Championship last season, I wouldn’t want to see him below League 1.

On 25/05/2019 at 19:45, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not really.

I wouldn't accept a call up if I qualified for Ireland because I very much consider myself to be English.

Perhaps he's the same - there's no point accepting a call up for a country you have no genuine affiliation with imo.

But doesn’t his surname, if nothing else, suggest that he might well cherish his Irish roots aswell.

Is the reason you consider yourself to be English, because you are English..?!  

33 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Villa

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Good move. He’s better than L2, Shews for a season will do him well. He’ll be championship ready in 2020-2021 IMO. 

I reckon he is, just needs to prove it to everyone else that he can do it all season 

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

Hope he doesn’t sit on the bench all season. Murphy is a good keeper so won’t be straightforward 

We haven’t sent him there to sit on the bench,

if he is benched then he will be recalled in jan and sent elsewhere

Archived