IGNORED

Historic Bristol C4

Robbored

Just watched the rather lovely Prof Alice Roberts discussing her home town on C4.

She mainly covers the Georgian period and how Bristol grew rich on the back of the slave trade with merchants such as Pinney and Coulson but also covers the chocolate industry led Fry’s. Looks at the Queens Square riots which were the bloodiest in English history.

The programme is called Britain’s most historic towns and can be seen via catch up if anyone is interested.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Just watched the rather lovely Prof Alice Roberts discussing her home town on C4.

She mainly covers the Georgian period and how Bristol grew rich on the back of the slave trade with merchants such as Pinney and Coulson but also covers the chocolate industry led Fry’s. Looks at the Queens Square riots which were the bloodiest in English history.

The programme is called Britain’s most historic towns and can be seen via catch up if anyone is interested.

Think we all forget what a beautiful place Bristol is

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

I recorded it and will try and watch it today. Glad to know it was good although anything with Alice Roberts normally is.

Yes, lovely Alice, she's one of our own!

The programme was largely centred on the Georgian period, with other notable events thrown in the mix. Bath is often regarded as 'The Georgian City' (and with good reason) but it's less widely known that Bristol has more Georgian history; you will have to travel a bit more to see all of it and perhaps that's why Bath gets the popular vote. However, the architecture is here and the history that binds it is in plentiful supply. It is an important and long-lasting period of our past that we should recognise.

Yes, the Triangular Trade is a fundamental part of that and Alice doesn't hold back in telling that story. Clearly the issues are very much in our thoughts even today.

But the show certainly lets people know just what sort of great history we have here in our old town. Alice as a native herself (and I'll add myself to this) admits that she didn't realise just how much we have. There is a lot to be proud of (and some that we should remember) in Bristol. If you do happen to have a little spare time then why not take a stroll along the Floating Harbour or look into M Shed museum, or indeed surf the net! We all are guilty of not seeing our city as a visitor would.

On 26/05/2019 at 13:40, Erithacus said:

Yes, lovely Alice, she's one of our own!

The programme was largely centred on the Georgian period, with other notable events thrown in the mix. Bath is often regarded as 'The Georgian City' (and with good reason) but it's less widely known that Bristol has more Georgian history; you will have to travel a bit more to see all of it and perhaps that's why Bath gets the popular vote. However, the architecture is here and the history that binds it is in plentiful supply. It is an important and long-lasting period of our past that we should recognise.

Yes, the Triangular Trade is a fundamental part of that and Alice doesn't hold back in telling that story. Clearly the issues are very much in our thoughts even today.

But the show certainly lets people know just what sort of great history we have here in our old town. Alice as a native herself (and I'll add myself to this) admits that she didn't realise just how much we have. There is a lot to be proud of (and some that we should remember) in Bristol. If you do happen to have a little spare time then why not take a stroll along the Floating Harbour or look into M Shed museum, or indeed surf the net! We all are guilty of not seeing our city as a visitor would.

We would have had a damn sight more if we hadn’t had Hitler and the sixties town planners ! 

:badmood:

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:58, Robbored said:

Random but I once met Alice Roberts (she is pretty hot in the flesh!) at a Shed Seven gig at the Bristol O2 think she's fairly local. A drunken chap in front of us was trying his best to her impress her in the coat queue but failed miserably, :laugh:.

52 minutes ago, TMWANG50 said:

Random but I once met Alice Roberts (she is pretty hot in the flesh!) at a Shed Seven gig at the Bristol O2 think she's fairly local. A drunken chap in front of us was trying his best to her impress her in the coat queue but failed miserably, :laugh:.

I do like posh birds.

34 minutes ago, Markman said:

:laugh: - I did - but cannot find it on the TV when I search for that - will try again ta

Despite @Robbored's rather terse response, the title of this thread is not in fact the title of the programme...

It is in his post, but is not the same as the thread title. 

Here you go:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-most-historic-towns

bristol.png

9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We would have had a damn sight more if we hadn’t had Hitler and the sixties town planners ! 

:badmood:

Although the raised walkway for pedestrians and cyclists was well ahead of its time and could have been fantastic had it been fully implemented. I think the last bit of it’s gone now

Archived