IGNORED

Saido Berahino ...

BS4 on Tour...

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

... sacked by Stoke for being found guilty of drink driving. Fair play - modern players think they are untouchable and can basically act as they please - big wake up call for Saido - not many players get sacked these days...

It's probably actually an easy excuse to get him off the wage bill more than Stoke making an example of him. 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Someone will sign him on £20k per week with a big signing on fee. Sure he will be okay ! 

Without a doubt, should be banned from playing for a few years imo. I assume he couldn't afford a taxi......

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I'm sure had he been a success at Stoke the club would have stood by him , saying they wanted to help him with his addictions and hinting at mental health issues. It's very fashionable these days.

Yes, it's an excuse to cut the wage bill.

Similar to when Sky sacked Andy Gray and Richard Keys because they had "discovered" some old off camera footage where they were making sexist jokes.

18 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Banned from playing? That would be a bit ridiculous. Don’t see anyone else who drink drives being banned from work

Maybe it is harsh, but plenty of players nowadays seem to think they can do what they want and when they want. How many times has he done it before? Probably thinks it is normal. Do we wait until he hits some innocent bystander or kills someone? People in high profile positions should be made an example of, whether or not it seems fair or not imo. 

I don’t think he should be banned but I do think any team that is contemplating signing him should only do so if they are prepared to meet with any of their fans who have lost friends or loved ones through drink driving and explain their decision. I also think Berahino, and any other drink driver, should be made to meet people seriously injured in drink drive incidents and learn about the consequences of his actions.

From the verge of the England team a few years ago, then came over all Billy Bigspuds and basically threw his career away. 
I think the only reason they have been so hard on him, is that he's been pretty useless. If he had been a 25 goal striker last year, you would have seen them saying how much they need to support the player who has made a mistake. 

Any club who signs him would be wasting their money; when players have repeated "problems" they never return to anywhere near their prior standard.

Swindon, whose board would be unable to define morality without using a dictionary, has a record of signing criminals so he may go there but even then I think will be wasting their money.

In football parlance - he gave them a decision to make - Stoke wanted him off the wage bill pure and simple....

Spurs for example didn't fire Hugo Loris and didn't half the Arsenal team get banned back in the Adams/Merson era when it was almost compulsory for Arsenal players to be pissed 24/7!

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don’t think he should be banned but I do think any team that is contemplating signing him should only do so if they are prepared to meet with any of their fans who have lost friends or loved ones through drink driving and explain their decision. I also think Berahino, and any other drink driver, should be made to meet people seriously injured in drink drive incidents and learn about the consequences of his actions.

Fair enough but why not also do that for speeding, mobile phone use, or falling asleep at the wheel?

There's a whole listing here including one doing 81mph in a 40mph zone.

Surely that's all dangerous driving that's liable to cause horrendous accidents. Why single out drink driving as something horrendous when they all have caused deaths and injuries?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5990008/footballers-speeding-mario-balotelli-roberto-firmino-yaya-toure-frank-lampard/

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

... sacked by Stoke for being found guilty of drink driving. Fair play - modern players think they are untouchable and can basically act as they please - big wake up call for Saido - not many players get sacked these days...

Had nothing to do with the club applying any moral principles and everything to do with the opportunity to get rid of a terrible player costing them a fortune with little resale value. 

Marlon King has maybe the best claim to being a career criminal who played a bit of football at weekends:

King has served three jail sentences,[2]and has a number of other criminal convictions including: theft from a person and from a car, criminal damage, and attempting to obtain property by deception; fraudulent use of vehicle licence document, driving without insurance, speeding, drink driving; a wounding incident while playing amateur football, and two cases involving assault of young women rejecting his advances in the Soho area of London. King had his playing contract cancelled by Wigan after being convicted of the sexual assault charges and being sentenced to eighteen months in prison.

Asking a stupid question, but assuming this must have been written into his contract when they signed him, so guessing the other two were with previous clubs. Is it a sackable offence to fire someone if they've been done for drink driving in any job? Obviously it is if they were driving a company car!

10 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Asking a stupid question, but assuming this must have been written into his contract when they signed him, so guessing the other two were with previous clubs. Is it a sackable offence to fire someone if they've been done for drink driving in any job? Obviously it is if they were driving a company car!

It usually falls under gross misconduct or bringing the company into disrepute.

That Australian rugby player who tweeted about gays going to hell was sacked and that wasn't even a crime; just him expressing his opinion. However it breached his contract so he was sacked.

Of course the company can choose not to sack you; as @CodeRed said if Arsenal had cracked down on drink and drugs in the mid 90s then they wouldn't have had a team left.

20 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It usually falls under gross misconduct or bringing the company into disrepute.

That Australian rugby player who tweeted about gays going to hell was sacked and that wasn't even a crime; just him expressing his opinion. However it breached his contract so he was sacked.

Of course the company can choose not to sack you; as @CodeRed said if Arsenal had cracked down on drink and drugs in the mid 90s then they wouldn't have had a team left.

Indeed a company can choose not to sack you. Wouldn't mind betting Stoke won't sack their next player who is done for drink driving. 

10 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I'm sure had he been a success at Stoke the club would have stood by him , saying they wanted to help him with his addictions and hinting at mental health issues. It's very fashionable these days.

Sadly I can’t like this enough

Archived