IGNORED

What do you do when you spot a city player?

Edge1981

Or ex player?

I live in Portishead so over the years I got to see quite a few City players past and present when out and about. Whenever I see them, I never say anything to them and go about my merry way as if I don’t recognise them or don’t care for football. I could be shoulder to shoulder with them in the supermarket and still not say anything. This is mainly due to thinking to myself how I’d feel if I was a pro footballer trying to do my day-to-day things like shopping and the school run I think I’d get fed up with it if it happened all the time to me.

I’ve often wondered how other City fans react to seeing City players or ex-players when they see them out and about? Does it depend or circumstances/who they are with and who you are with etc? 

I sat next to Jona Lomu once at a rugby World Cup Final - I didn’t say a word to him until he spoke to me, I think he appreciated the fact I let him be - as hundreds of others were clambouring all over each other trying to get selfies, photos and autographs.

We had a good conversation once he initiated the chat - I don’t understand people who interrupt ‘celebrities’ in restaurants, pubs, airports, at sporting events etc - they are just people going about their business ... 

I was stood next to my all time hero, Paul Weller, at a bar in Glasgow Airport once ... he was necking Guinness like water - but I didn’t interrupt him, don’t understand people who do ...

I'm pretty useless at spotting famous people. Was in a vip lounge in an Indian airport a few years ago and a bloke opposite me was attracting a lot of attention. Turned out he was an ex Sri Lankan cricket captain. Forgot his name by the time I got back to England! 

I've seen Scott Murray a couple of times and talked but he's probably one of the friendliest people you could meet so don't think he minds. 

I leave them alone unless they speak to me. I only ever speak to them at an official function. I used to attend the APFSCIL dinners when I was a member of the London Branch in the 70/80s and would talk with the invited special guests then. Derek Dougan, Graeme Turner and John Motson spring to mind. The best however was a good half hour chat with Terry Cooper at a supporters club do. Terry would happily talk all day about football but I felt guilty about hogging him for so long. 

58 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I sat next to Jona Lomu once at a rugby World Cup Final - I didn’t say a word to him until he spoke to me, I think he appreciated the fact I let him be - as hundreds of others were clambouring all over each other trying to get selfies, photos and autographs.

Those hundreds of others clambouring all over each other was Rory Underwood, Will Carling and Jeremy Guscott trying to tackle him! ?

....and at what point did the stewards eject you from the try-zone!! ?

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We had a good conversation once he initiated the chat - I don’t understand people who interrupt ‘celebrities’ in restaurants, pubs, airports, at sporting events etc - they are just people going about their business ... 

I was stood next to my all time hero, Paul Weller, at a bar in Glasgow Airport once ... he was necking Guinness like water - but I didn’t interrupt him, don’t understand people who do ...

Conversely when I saw Pete Budd at Lulsgate International Airport a few years ago I just HAD to have a chat. Absolutely top man, very humble and good company. 

9 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

Or ex player?

I live in Portishead so over the years I got to see quite a few City players past and present when out and about. Whenever I see them, I never say anything to them and go about my merry way as if I don’t recognise them or don’t care for football. I could be shoulder to shoulder with them in the supermarket and still not say anything. This is mainly due to thinking to myself how I’d feel if I was a pro footballer trying to do my day-to-day things like shopping and the school run I think I’d get fed up with it if it happened all the time to me.

I’ve often wondered how other City fans react to seeing City players or ex-players when they see them out and about? Does it depend or circumstances/who they are with and who you are with etc? 

Occasionally I smile and and nod, but like you I live in Portishead and they are often in close proximity. Taylor stopped to pet my daughters dog (no tasteless jokes please) when I was walking him around the Marina, so a quick chat ensued but I didn’t mention his name or football. I literally bumped into Marlon coming out of the Post Office, he apologised and I couldn’t resist congratulating him on his new baby, which he seemed to appreciate. The only “celebrity” I have had any lengthy conversation with down here is Johnny Briggs, but the drink is normally flowing nicely on both sides by then and it’s just like chatting to any other bloke you see in the local.

I saw LJ in John Lewis a year ago during the summer, for a split second I was just about to walk up and greet him like an old friend and then remembered - this guy doesn't know me and is just out with his family trying to relax.

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Taylor stopped to pet my daughters dog (no tasteless jokes please) when I was walking him around the Marina, so a quick chat ensued but I didn’t mention his name or football.  

Why were you walking Taylor around the marina?  Did your daughter have her dog on a lead like Taylor?  

(strange place Portishead, sounds like a local version of Royston Vasey :) )

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

i spoke to steve jones on Peterborough station. he had just  played for city and was heading to london. really nice guy and was happy to have a chat  

Did you ask him where he go his tan from?

Saw Keith Millen in TGI Fridays with his family, would have thought it was cool if we were not bottom of the league at the time, Scott Murray a few times, was quite chuffed as he remembered my little girls name from a few year previously from meeting him before and most recently Steve Landsdown at southmead hospital last week. just shook his hand and congratulated him on a great season  :]

17 minutes ago, Judda said:

A smile and nod of recognition.... unless it's Scott in his van and I'm in my van and then it's a flash of the headlights and a thumbs up which is always reciprocated! ??

Some things never change, was the same routine back in Stan Collymore's day... ;) 

I see LJ around Clifton village a lot, particularly in the summer. A bunch of business types having breakfast in Spicer & Cole had him a bit cornered last summer asking him where it went wrong that year ?

Also see him running on the downs a bit. Have so far resisted the temptation to start singing “Johnson says, bounce around the downs, bounce around the downs”. 

Archived