IGNORED

What do you do when you spot a city player?

Edge1981

11 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

You'd think he could afford to go private

That reminds me, I was at dinner with someone who is very close to SL on the weekend (she’s not a football fan). She was very effusive about how much Steve’s vision is to help develop Bristol as a city and how much he cares about what he’s doing. 

Worth considering for those who think it’s all just a ‘plaything’ for him. It seems he’s very passionate and massively emotionally invested in the whole thing. 

I saw Steve Brooker in ASDA at Cribs after he had been out injured for months. I just asked him how his injury was and we had a chat for about 5 minutes.  He was frustrated at having been out for so long but he was very friendly.

3 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

I saw Steve Brooker in ASDA at Cribs after he had been out injured for months. I just asked him how his injury was and we had a chat for about 5 minutes.  He was frustrated at having been out for so long but he was very friendly.

FAO :  ... Sarah B  :) 

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I saw LJ in John Lewis a year ago during the summer, for a split second I was just about to walk up and greet him like an old friend and then remembered - this guy doesn't know me and is just out with his family trying to relax.

I saw Louis Carey in John Lewis several years ago. He was with his missus and she couldn't decide which of 2 (quite expensive) handbags she preferred. I should have kept my nose out, but as I walked past I muttered something along the lines of "awww come on skipper surely you're not going to make the lady choose?". Fair play to him he chuckled and just nodded at her before giving me a bit of side eye as I walked off!

29 minutes ago, RedSA said:

That reminds me, I was at dinner with someone who is very close to SL on the weekend (she’s not a football fan). She was very effusive about how much Steve’s vision is to help develop Bristol as a city and how much he cares about what he’s doing. 

Worth considering for those who think it’s all just a ‘plaything’ for him. It seems he’s very passionate and massively emotionally invested in the whole thing. 

I'm sure he is......be nice if he paid his uk tax like everybody else as well !

Now - where did I put that tin hat!

I\m more or less the same. When I've seen them, the most they've got from me is a nod if they're looking directly at me. I don't like being bothered by people I don't know, so I can't imagine they would rather, especially if they're on a night out or out shopping.

My girlfriend goes to David Lloyd, and she sees both Bristol City players and Bristol Rugby players every other week, especially during the summer. She's not much of a football fan, but she likes to tell me the crap they talk about in the Jacuzzi or Steam Rooms - stuff from when they're all going to meet up and play some online game (she didn't know what it was), and what their favourite lunch meal deal was.

I normally nod and smile and say hello to a famous person.

Used to go to the same bar as Lloyd Doyley from Watford every week and would be in the queue for him. As a non-Watford fan I think he appreciates not being mugged for a selfie and someone just saying hello. So much so I once saw him in London on the off chance and he ran up to me asking how I was.

29 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I'm sure he is......be nice if he paid his uk tax like everybody else as well !

Now - where did I put that tin hat!

My guess is he spends that money investing in Bristol/UK in ways he thinks are useful, rather than let whatever hapless government is in charge ‘waste it’. 

Not saying it’s right or wrong, but can understand the position. 

I often see players and think to myself "Is that who I think it is".  Footballers do sometimes look a bit different off the pitch to on the pitch to me.  I once bumped into Geoff Merrick and he even spoke to me and I didn't recognise him.  It was onlt after he walked off, I realised.

Often see Marlon and Matty in Portishead and I'm sure I once saw Tins there too.  Along with Bobby Gould, Eddie Large and Johny Briggs.

As an  importer I spent an evening wine tasting with a client and he invited John Galley . He asked me if I minded ! 

I rather gushingly said to « John «  , as I then knew  him , that he was my idol as a kid and we talked about football and City all evening.

The next day I called my client and rather sheepishly apologised for my comportement with regards to Mr G .

He just laughed and said that Sir John absolutely lapped it up .

Top blokes to a man.

Mostly, leave them to their business. I have very little to say that would interest them.

However, the day after the Red Manchester victory, I saw Taylor, Paterson, & Steele sitting down to (what I’m sure they would term) a “cheeky” Wagamama. Just felt I had to say congratulations, and thank you for a bonkers night.

Seeing how the season panned out after that, I’ll never speak to any of them ever again.

Think most footballers, realize it's part and parcel of being a pro sportsmen. 

Have bumped into city players over the years, all have been very pleasant.

Murray & Carey both top blokes to chat to and in more recent years Wilbraham, Wagstaff & Brownhill all more than happy for a quick chat. 

A few years ago, I was working in field service for IBM and we had a corporate dinner in a hotel near Watford.

As usual, pre dinner, we ambled along to the bar and had a couple of beers. 

In my youth, I was a half decent egg chaser and played for Bristol schools. By coincidence, I played against the mighty Martin Johnson and he was in the same hotel. He must have vaguely remembered knocking 7 shades of 5hit out of me years ago and came over, chatting away like a good un, a really nice bloke.

My arse of a boss, at the time, came over and asked Martin Johnson (who had lifted the world cup 4 or 5 years previously) what part of IBM he worked in? What a belter!

Luckily, MJ saw the funny side as we corrected said arse! ;)

2 hours ago, RedSA said:

My guess is he spends that money investing in Bristol/UK in ways he thinks are useful, rather than let whatever hapless government is in charge ‘waste it’. 

Not saying it’s right or wrong, but can understand the position. 

Plus the fact he has kept his businesses local and not moved them to say Singapore, like another local businessman, means that his is still contributing to the local economy in many ways other than direct taxation.

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I sat next to Jona Lomu once at a rugby World Cup Final - I didn’t say a word to him until he spoke to me, I think he appreciated the fact I let him be - as hundreds of others were clambouring all over each other trying to get selfies, photos and autographs.

We had a good conversation once he initiated the chat - I don’t understand people who interrupt ‘celebrities’ in restaurants, pubs, airports, at sporting events etc - they are just people going about their business ... 

I was stood next to my all time hero, Paul Weller, at a bar in Glasgow Airport once ... he was necking Guinness like water - but I didn’t interrupt him, don’t understand people who do ...

Lomu had a relative studying at Bristol Uni a few years ago and was in the OTC where my dad who still comes to the games was his Sgt Major. he was always more interested in dads career and very respectful

Not player related but a girlfriend of my wife is a big interior design fan, always decorating etc and was an avid watcher of the Changing Rooms tv program back in the day. So one day she's on holiday and sees Carole Smilley ( the presenter of the prog) having dinner with a bloke.....she goes and speaks to her - CS turns to her, says very loudly " F##K OFF"....and carries on eating.

So some of them do like to be left alone!

8 hours ago, CodeRed said:

You'd think he could afford to go private

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

He probably was...........

He's visiting relatives or someone close by. Whoever they are, they have been on the same ward as my old man. Seen him and Mrs lansdown almost everyday up there last week. Said hello the first few times and then exchanged pleasantries after that, one of which he instigated, which was very decent of him. 

Flint and Pack just posted photos of themselves with Amir Khan on Instagram...so they go up to famous people and grab photos.

Personally I usually have broadly the same attitude as many state: let them alone. However, a year or so ago in a pub in West London I was drinking with my mates when we noticed that sat at a table nearby were Flint, Steele, Pack, Wright and Paterson. I'm sorry but I had to go say hello. That was it really, just a quick hello and thanks for the season. All were really nice about it and Pack and Wright were especially friendly.

Archived