IGNORED

What do you do when you spot a city player?

Edge1981

Agree with those that leave them be, although I did talk to Brownhill after a game this season when stuck in a vestibule outside first class on the train home (me not him). Thought he was very down to earth and humble, and he joined in when I threatened to lock O'Dowda in the toilet unless he signed a new contract (O'Dowda was far more introverted and raced back to his seat).

I was going to mention this which for me is the gold standard of professional sports people in public, but I realize it's easier to just link to when I mentioned it before. And yes I do spent a lot of time on trains. ?

13 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Not player related but a girlfriend of my wife is a big interior design fan, always decorating etc and was an avid watcher of the Changing Rooms tv program back in the day. So one day she's on holiday and sees Carole Smilley ( the presenter of the prog) having dinner with a bloke.....she goes and speaks to her - CS turns to her, says very loudly " F##K OFF"....and carries on eating.

So some of them do like to be left alone!

Not so Smilley then ?

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Ive always found scottish players the most friendly.

Jamie mac, scotty, mark gavin, colin cramb. those 4 would always give you the time of day.

I said hello to martin woolford once and he looked straight through me.

He probably didn’t recognise you .

7 hours ago, Henry said:

I once saw Scott Murray and Keith Millen in Chicago Rocks. Said hello to Scott Murray, no idea what he said over the loud music and his accent!

the night ended with Millen getting a BJ in one of the booths!

That's got to be the most unexpected reactions to seeing a City player on this thread.

Each to their own I suppose @Henry :whistle2:

13 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Flint and Pack just posted photos of themselves with Amir Khan on Instagram...so they go up to famous people and grab photos.

Personally I usually have broadly the same attitude as many state: let them alone. However, a year or so ago in a pub in West London I was drinking with my mates when we noticed that sat at a table nearby were Flint, Steele, Pack, Wright and Paterson. I'm sorry but I had to go say hello. That was it really, just a quick hello and thanks for the season. All were really nice about it and Pack and Wright were especially friendly.

I once had a photo with me & Chubby Brown.

Saw pack, korey and odonnell in a soft play a year or so ago, my boy would have been about 7 and knew who they were when i pointed them out, and he went and said hello to pack. Thats the perfect age for hero worship of footballers, but i cant see it likely i would go up to anyone famous and introduce myself as a 40 odd year old bloke?!

13 hours ago, Henry said:

I once saw Scott Murray and Keith Millen in Chicago Rocks. Said hello to Scott Murray, no idea what he said over the loud music and his accent!

the night ended with Millen getting a BJ in one of the booths!

I think I'd have just left it at 'hello'

4 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Pretty sure that when @CyderInACan and me were growing up, our postman was Mike Gibson. Our old man was star struck whenever he saw him!

My old man always mentions this! On a Saturday morning he would be seen sometimes doing his round then hoping onto a bus heading to the game with his boots tied around his neck.

About a week ago my wife and myself called into the George Inn at Abbots Leigh for some lunch.

We sat in the garden where Marlon Pack and Korey Smith were there with wives (or girlfriends) and several young children having lunch.

I would really have liked to have had a chat with them both but I decided to leave them to their family time without being bothered.

I think Marlon must have realised that he had been recognised because as we left my wife said he was looking at me with a smile on his face as if to say "thanks for leaving us alone".

Players perform in the public eye but they are entitled to their privacy. 

6 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

About a week ago my wife and myself called into the George Inn at Abbots Leigh for some lunch.

We sat in the garden where Marlon Pack and Korey Smith were there with wives (or girlfriends) and several young children having lunch.

I would really have liked to have had a chat with them both but I decided to leave them to their family time without being bothered.

I think Marlon must have realised that he had been recognised because as we left my wife said he was looking at me with a smile on his face as if to say "thanks for leaving us alone".

Players perform in the public eye but they are entitled to their privacy. 

It’s often said that fans pay the players wages. So you should have popped over to Marlon and asked him for some of his lunch!

Have seen Cotts quite a few times up at Cribbs, the first time was about 6 months after his sacking, I went up to him, shook his hand & thanked him for everything that he did, very polite man & grateful for my comments, left him alone all the other times. 

Many years ago before I matured & realised the error of my ways my dad use to take me to Eastville to watch the sags, I remember after 1 game dad wanted to catch up with his mates before we left so we were delayed for an hour or so, we then left to "pick up a Chinese" on the way home, we walked into a Chinese takeaway on Stapleton Rd to be met by Alan Warboys, Bruce Bannister & Frankie Prince waiting for their order, Frankie was leaning on the counter eating a battered sausage !!

Whenever I have seen a City player in public I haven’t felt comfortable to approach them. It’s been a rare occurrence anyway. 

The only exception was when I was pissed in a pub shortly after the end of our 1998-99 relegation season and I tried to engage Jim Brennan in a conversation about whether he was going to stay at City. He was very polite, but inwardly must have been hoping that I’d just go away. 

I’ve met most of them at Charlton Farm, but that’s different to seeing them out and about.  If I'm with Joe, they might recognise Joe and I’ll probably give them a nod of recognition, but that’s it.  Sometimes they then engage, but I try to let them do it.  Wilbs and Joe Bryan would have a natter if I saw them in town / Cribbs.  If they were with their families i will leave them alone, unless in Wilbs case he didn’t want to into Smiggle and was happy to chat footie with a fan than look at pencil cases with his wife and daughter!

On 28/05/2019 at 16:44, CodeRed said:

Not player related but a girlfriend of my wife is a big interior design fan, always decorating etc and was an avid watcher of the Changing Rooms tv program back in the day. So one day she's on holiday and sees Carole Smilley ( the presenter of the prog) having dinner with a bloke.....she goes and speaks to her - CS turns to her, says very loudly " F##K OFF"....and carries on eating.

So some of them do like to be left alone!

So,,from changing room's to 'changing channels..

Footballers live the finer life mainly because of us fans. I get people may feel awkward about approaching players and I get why, but likewise I feel like if someone did want to chat to them or have a quick picture taken then it’s the least they should do. What’s a minute out of a footballers day compared to making a fan happy?

Personally, I asked CO’D for a picture while in M&S a while ago. My daughter loves him and refused to come shopping that day so it was to wind her up as much as anything (I’m at that age where I would happily walk by and not say anything!). To be honest I was more interested in talking to his Mrs!

So yeah, I do believe footballers owe a lot to the fans that spend their hard earned cash to support them week in week out and if that means a brief chat or quick pic then why not?

I think most players wouldn’t mind either. Probably even an ego boost that they have been spotted!

Edit: Just for clarity, eating a meal would be the exception. No one wants to be interrupted whilst eating!

I sat around the same swimming pool as Keith Welch every day for a week in Gran Canaria in 1999, but didn’t bother him. To be fair, it was during the time when I didn’t watch many City games as parenting and playing football took priority over getting to AG, so I wouldn’t have been able to talk knowledgeably about the season just past.

Danny Coles was my next door neighbour for a few months in 2004/5 and we would occasionally have a chat. My daughter still hasn’t forgiven me for not taking him up on his offer to “pop round” to his New Year’s Day party after we’d watched City on 1/1/2005. She had to settle for peering out of her bedroom window watching the various City players arrive.

As an aside, the day DC moved in I’d gone back to bed after getting back from a memorable Christmas party. When I got up and looked out of the window I saw someone who looked like Clayton Fortune shifting furniture out of a removal van. I decided I’d clearly not yet sobered up and went back to bed! The following day my daughter very excitedly told me she’d seen DC in the next door garden and I realised CF must have been helping his mate move, so I hadn’t had a Clayton Fortune inspired hallucination, which was a relief.

Was tempted to wish Lloyd Kelly good luck at Bournemouth when I passed him outside Pizza Express on the Harbourside last Thursday, but he seemed to be quite deep into a serious conversation so good manners manners prevailed.

Would normally ignore them personally, however that is with the exception of LJ tinman and Scotty.  I feel privileged to know on a first name basis now after growing up watching them constantly and speaking to them about various things over the years . Very very friendly chaps and talk about all sorts rather than just football!

Lee and Brian both very helpful during the start of my coaching pathway, will always be appreciative 

On another note, last week. A group of us were in Ibiza , we were sat on a table next to Newcastle captain Paul Dummett . Couldn’t resist having a chat as both in VIP section, very friendly bloke. Had a photo and sent to my best friend who’s a Geordie saying how good of a man he was to spend time talking about what eventually became football, in his downtime !

15 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Blast from the past that is. Blimey, if anyone else knows this reference, feel confident in knowing you're old AF.

Still wonder what she does now.

Last seen emerging from the bushes outside of Brookers house, and heading towards the bins so I heard. :rolleyes:

Archived