IGNORED

Pack v Hourihane

Davefevs

Been having a play over the last week tryng to learn how to use some software called tableau.  I first created a keeper’s radar chart, but wanted to do something with a bit more data, so I started playing with the attached.

Here’s the first part of my Central Midfielders dashboard....for Pack and Hourihane - two CMs who sit at the base of the midfield.  I need to do a defensive version, as I think this will show a better balance.

5C03ACFE-8017-44A1-ADA1-8F5F24DFEE1A.thumb.jpeg.75b847b33f9d70bb2350d7cc01d98f84.jpeg

Any feedback much appreciated.

Once set up I can put any players into the filters, even multiple players.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

I had the free trial of tableau and just managed to confuse myself :laugh:

It’s a slow learning process, granted.  Spent most of yesterday trying to stop my average and high lines from changing as I applied player filters, or retaining them for the whole database, rather than ignoring players who played <900mins.  Frustrating until you work out where that important click needs to be!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Been having a play over the last week tryng to learn how to use some software called tableau.  I first created a keeper’s radar chart, but wanted to do something with a bit more data, so I started playing with the attached.

Here’s the first part of my Central Midfielders dashboard....for Pack and Hourihane - two CMs who sit at the base of the midfield.  I need to do a defensive version, as I think this will show a better balance.

5C03ACFE-8017-44A1-ADA1-8F5F24DFEE1A.thumb.jpeg.75b847b33f9d70bb2350d7cc01d98f84.jpeg

So my conclusions from this is that in an attacking sense, Pack is below average in most areas, but the few areas where he is above average he excels.

On the other hand Hourihane is above average in all of those attacking metrics. Excelling in 1 or 2.

I would love to see some comparisons between Tomori and Webster, I thought Tomori's passing through midfield from the back yesterday was some of the best I have ever seen, and that pass to Waghorn that ended up setting up their goal was Hoddle like. Absolutely incredible.

35 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I would love to see some comparisons between Tomori and Webster, I thought Tomori's passing through midfield from the back yesterday was some of the best I have ever seen, and that pass to Waghorn that ended up setting up their goal was Hoddle like. Absolutely incredible.

This might help. Not my work

416715B4-9A4D-43C6-8DAF-C1EA8A4F630D.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This might help. Not my work

416715B4-9A4D-43C6-8DAF-C1EA8A4F630D.jpeg

Thank you, I think! I am not great at analysing these things as I usually need to read several different graphs to get into how they should be interpreted. But on the face of it, what I think I can see is.

1. Webster tends to pass the ball further than Tomori, but with less accuracy. 

2. Tomori was having a particularly good day yesterday and that usually, Keogh outpasses him both in accuracy and distance

The second one surprises me, but the first one works well with what I saw yesterday, quick accurate flat passes about 20/25 metres, into the midfield mostly, but the kind of passes that allow the midfield players to pick them up and take that momentum into the attack. I think on smaller, narrower pitches the chances for those passes to be intercepted would increase, hence the lower accuracy.

Hourihane is obviously the better player, but Pack has done well for us over the years. We are possession based in that we would rather retain possession that make a risky pass, and I wonder if that's the main thing factoring in Packs higher passing stats, but those passes less likely to come to anything or being useful.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Doesn't Hourihane play multiple positions?

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

Hourihane is obviously the better player, but Pack has done well for us over the years. We are possession based in that we would rather retain possession that make a risky pass, and I wonder if that's the main thing factoring in Packs higher passing stats, but those passes less likely to come to anything or being useful.

I saw this as the beginning of our downfall (started under Gary Johnson), one part was an in balance in the structure of the team - a lot more attacking on the right wing than the left. Busy most predominantly how much retaining possession was preferred over try to create something with a risky ball into an attacking area. Even a simple switch of play took too long and it has crept into watching City in 2018-19.

Admittedly, we never scored great numbers of goals under Johnson but that didn’t really go away until Pack particularly started to find his range in league one - Ayling, Williams, Bryan and Flint were all capable of more adventurous passes and we had looked a lot more exciting going forward since.

Instructions from the coach have a huge role to play but you wonder if Pack’s lack of pace has contributed to building the team around this style - I would like to see a more dynamic midfielder in there (ala Smith) to compliment Brownhill who has shown outstanding progression since we came out of Johnson’s poor run in 2017

4 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I dont think you need a statometer to work out who the better player is.

We need an upgrade on Pack if we are to improve on last seasons final position.

But how do you pick the replacement after watching them? What helps you confirm your opinion? What's the point in getting a replacement if the stats for the replacement are the same? 

If we just want a better Pack then the stats can help. If we want a better but different type of midfielder then obviously the stats are not as useful. 

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Doesn't Hourihane play multiple positions?

Back-to-goal, in the box and falling over when breathed on.

Is that a position? He's totally perfected that one. I still think the guy is a cock, for THAT game alone. Can't see me ever liking the bloke tbh

Ok, so I’ve now created the defensive dashboard.  Here’s both together.D09A07F8-F15B-4700-AEC4-2BC074548FE7.thumb.jpeg.08f70daaa2e8aab9b16df8b89cbb1463.jpeg

Comments above that Hourihane the better Attacking player, caveated by the players around him, team style, role undertaken, the type of player he is.  

Now the defensive dashboard:

6A479DB7-D49A-4A36-9E67-A8B9845A700C.thumb.jpeg.2d06285a240b245fbc8d033e7d83316c.jpeg

Pack starts to show his attributes in terms of his many duels he undertakes both on the deck and the air.  Tackles all fairly even, but interceptions he comes out on top.

You can obviously read lots into these things, but it’s a useful view, comparing side by side. 

Forgetting the actual players, any general feedback on the look and feel.  I reversed the axis for fouls as more fouls isn’t better.  Does that help or just look odd?  Appreciate any comments.

It’s now set up so I can run any players.  Here’s possible target Joe WilliamsE335E458-BF62-45EB-A68D-4C3412FF7500.thumb.jpeg.63111e9355e0cdcf2ec09d777c877c19.jpeg

A75ECC1F-B2C8-4ED5-BB17-5D4E5AF0D1A5.thumb.jpeg.ee9e37c78c18f122501aae628f7a093d.jpeg

Archived