IGNORED

RIP : 34 Years ago

phantom

• Admin

Not one of anyone's high points that would have been at this game, still amazes me the game got played on the night, the TV footage was very indicative of what happened 

But the bottom line is nobody should go to a football match and not come back alive 

FB_IMG_1559130227772.jpg

• Admin

In Memoria e Amicizia, in Memory and Friendship

Rocco Acerra
Bruno Balli
Alfons Bos
Giancarlo Bruschera
Andrea Casula
Giovanni Casula
Nino Cerullo
Willy Chielens
Giuseppina Conti
Dirk Daenecky
Dionisio Fabbro
Jacques François
Eugenio Gagliano
Francesco Galli
Giancarlo Gonnelli
Alberto Guarini
Giovacchino Landini
Roberto Lorentini
Barbara Lusci
Franco Martelli
Loris Messore
Gianni Mastrolaco
Sergio Bastino Mazzino
Luciano Rocco Papaluca
Luigi Pidone
Benito Pistolato
Patrick Radcliffe
Domenico Ragazzi
Antonio Ragnanese
Claude Robert
Mario Ronchi
Domenico Russo
Tarcisio Salvi
Gianfranco Sarto
Giuseppe Spalaore
Mario Spanu
Tarcisio Venturin
Jean Michel Walla
Claudio Zavaroni

Rest In Peace - You'll Never Walk Alone.

Recall crossing Blackheath in the back of a black cab post entertaining clients when I quickly sobered up upon hearing the midnight news. 

Appreciate this won't be popular with some of you but detest the self-righteous attitude of Liverpool fans on social media today with flags of 'solidarity and friendship' (sic)  without one single acknowledgement of the tragedy (defined as causing suffering,) they themselves occasioned. Sorrow seems to be the hardest word? Yes the stadium may have been dilapidated and unfit for purpose, but had they not sought to cause trouble in chasing Juve across the terrace 39 fans would not have died. I've never once seen them apologise for their behaviour, never once acknowledge they were the catalyst in being responsible for the deaths. That the same later befell their own supporters, those who arrived early, in plenty of time and armed with tickets is equally of utter regret. That to this day they refuse to acknowledge the tasteless chants of rival fans are based in an element of reality rather than that desired by the deflective psyche to me at least shows a faux regard to the tragedy of lives lost.

Never again? Until those responsible acknowledge as such I fear that's a moot wish, as the recent scenes from Rome demonstrated (though of course apologies these days come thick and fast when miscreants are caught on camera and uploaded to social media sites.) When not?

I asked the cabbie what the score was and what had happened? "Liverpool fans causing havoc again," I believe was his response. In several years following England abroad I discovered what he meant.

8 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Appreciate this won't be popular with some of you but detest the self-righteous attitude of Liverpool fans on social media today with flags of 'solidarity and friendship' (sic)  without one single acknowledgement of the tragedy (defined as causing suffering,) they themselves occasioned. Sorrow seems to be the hardest word? Yes the stadium may have been dilapidated and unfit for purpose, but had they not sought to cause trouble in chasing Juve across the terrace 39 fans would not have died. I've never once seen them apologise for their behaviour, never once acknowledge they were the catalyst in being responsible for the deaths.

I disagree with the "self-righteous" criticism. Should a majority of Liverpool fans, who are good football fans just as at any other club, be apologising for the behaviour of a minority? Personally, I wouldn't feel the need to apologise for any of the fuckwitted actions of Bristol City fans down the years. I imagine that most Liverpool fans are as disgusted by Heysel now as they were back then. Have fans of other clubs never chased fans across a terrace, across a park, down a street or whatever? This particular brainless act resulted in a tragedy. And those that caused it through their stupidity deserve our condemnation.  

1 hour ago, Red7 said:

And those that caused it through their stupidity deserve our condemnation.

Correct good Sir.

My point being from Liverpool quarters I've never, ever seen that recognised. Condemnation they collectively heaped on UEFA and the Belgian authorities, to their own thugs, nothing, even when 14 of their own were convicted of manslaughter. The names of the dead are rightly remembered, the names of those responsible? Like the later Duckenfield , Roosens and the names of the two convicted policemen trip off the tongue when Heysel gets mentioned in any Merseyside bar. 'Concrete Cancer' the killer. They continue to perpetuate the myth that ALL Scousers are loveable comedians, that the world's against them for no good reason. Aligning themselves as 'victims in sympathy' - well we'll have to disagree as to whether that's self-righteous.

15 hours ago, archie andrews said:

cant understand why theres  3 sadface emojis...…..usual suspects though

What's that supposed to mean? Usual suspects? 

I think the whole Heysel situation is really sad… is that so hard to comprehend?

• Admin
16 hours ago, archie andrews said:

cant understand why theres  3 sadface emojis...…..usual suspects though

I believe they were meant as sad faces, as in it was a sad thing that happened, not that the post was sad

Well that is the way I interpreted it anyway

The appalling actions of the Liverpool fans that day tarnished the whole of English football (and indeed the reputation of the country as a whole) for more than a decade.

It made normal fans like most of us feel ashamed to admit that we were football supporters.

7 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Correct good Sir.

My point being from Liverpool quarters I've never, ever seen that recognised. Condemnation they collectively heaped on UEFA and the Belgian authorities, to their own thugs, nothing, even when 14 of their own were convicted of manslaughter. The names of the dead are rightly remembered, the names of those responsible? Like the later Duckenfield , Roosens and the names of the two convicted policemen trip off the tongue when Heysel gets mentioned in any Merseyside bar. 'Concrete Cancer' the killer. They continue to perpetuate the myth that ALL Scousers are loveable comedians, that the world's against them for no good reason. Aligning themselves as 'victims in sympathy' - well we'll have to disagree as to whether that's self-righteous.

Maybe not in the media @BTR-FTG But, having lived on Merseyside for about 25 years, I would say that the overwhelming majority of Liverpool fans regard Heysel as a tragedy and accept that a minority of their fans were brainless and culpable. I accept that this is not widely reported however. 

7 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

What's that supposed to mean? Usual suspects? 

I think the whole Heysel situation is really sad… is that so hard to comprehend?

19 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

39 people lost their lives and you don’t think sad is appropriate? 

of course its a sad thing...…...it just looked to me like certain people finding it all sad in a different way

3 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Maybe not in the media @BTR-FTG But, having lived on Merseyside for about 25 years, I would say that the overwhelming majority of Liverpool fans regard Heysel as a tragedy and accept that a minority of their fans were brainless and culpable. I accept that this is not widely reported however. 

Workwise I've spent more than enough nights these past two decades in both Liverpool and your seaside locale, (assuming Southport is where you live) and I'm  afraid I don't agree (in Southport there's more talk of golf than footy in the pubs I frequent.) I've been involved in many a scheme to attempt to move folks from Liverpool to Southport and local opinion has vociferously been that ne'er the twain shall meet. Might as well be in different continents.

In Liverpool there's clear alignment on the 'victim' front - Juve suffered as did 'we'. Never Juve  suffered because of 'Us'. Interesting that outside Liverpool the impression given of Evertonians is they're less 'problematic', though the Old Kent Road last year showed that to be utter tosh.

All said the Ship and Mitre remains my favourite inner city boozer, provided one doesn't talk footy ...

11 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

The appalling actions of the Liverpool fans that day tarnished the whole of English football (and indeed the reputation of the country as a whole) for more than a decade.

It made normal fans like most of us feel ashamed to admit that we were football supporters.

I think at that time it was allready TARNISHED tbf... 

It’s too simplistic to just blame the fans as other elements also played a part that night. Such as the final being held in a stadium that was in no fit state such an event or ticketing that bordered on the naive.

One things for sure UEFA were very very quick to wash their hands of any accountability, something they have continued to do successfully ever since.

Heysel should never have happened and some paid the ultimate price for when hooliganism combined with incompetence and greed 

Archived