IGNORED

Ross McCormack

Unan

Hasn't played for Villa since 2017 but has just had a 70k pay rise due to promotion clauses in his contract. The fact that this in itself is insane, how have Ville got away with FFP when they have such a ridiculous wage bill.

TBF who in their right mind gave him that contract? Pay players that much and add in those clauses you get what you deserve I'm afraid. 

3 minutes ago, wood_red said:

TBF who in their right mind gave him that contract? Pay players that much and add in those clauses you get what you deserve I'm afraid. 

But all they got was promotion. I really don’t get FFP, how are them and Wolves possibly compliant?

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

But all they got was promotion. I really don’t get FFP, how are them and Wolves possibly compliant?

But they didn't get promotion because of him. It isn't like they have had Messi basically carry them up on an inflated wage!!

7 minutes ago, Unan said:

Hasn't played for Villa since 2017 but has just had a 70k pay rise due to promotion clauses in his contract. The fact that this in itself is insane, how have Ville got away with FFP when they have such a ridiculous wage bill.

Don't exaggerate. It's only a £35k p/w pay increase. It'll take him a fortnight to bag an extra £70k......

17 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Think people are getting confused.

his wages will go up to 70k...

and FFP? It won’t kick in until July when Villa will be getting fortunes in tv money 

I do reckon the EFL know who is compliant and who is not waiting to see who was promoted. I also think they are happy Villa were promoted so they do not have to impose the rules onto them. 

41 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Think people are getting confused.

his wages will go up to 70k...

and FFP? It won’t kick in until July when Villa will be getting fortunes in tv money 

Plus they are in The prem now so iT dont matter!  QPR got done for ffp a few years back and the football league couldn’t touch them because they weren’t in the football league anymore (the prem is separate apparently) they got fined ( I think) when they got relegated!

oh and cluck cluck chicken boy! ? 

14 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Plus they are in The prem now so iT dont matter!  QPR got done for ffp a few years back and the football league couldn’t touch them because they weren’t in the football league anymore (the prem is separate apparently) they got fined ( I think) when they got relegated!

oh and cluck cluck chicken boy! ? 

That’s not the new rules....but I doubt the EFL will apply them.

And this is why they need to stay in the Premiership, because with contracts like this they will die in the Championship.

Average player taking home extortionate amounts of money. Think I read that he hasn't played much recently either?

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I do reckon the EFL know who is compliant and who is not waiting to see who was promoted. I also think they are happy Villa were promoted so they do not have to impose the rules onto them. 

So, serious question Joe, do you think the EFL will now go after Derby?

My view, not a chance.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

And this is why they need to stay in the Premiership, because with contracts like this they will die in the Championship.

Average player taking home extortionate amounts of money. Think I read that he hasn't played much recently either?

He hasn’t played for them for some time - been on loan in Australia and also back in Scotland

4 hours ago, Unan said:

He hasn’t had a 70k per week pay rise - his wages have gone up to 70k a week - big difference ....

49 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

So, serious question Joe, do you think the EFL will now go after Derby?

My view, not a chance.

Idk but gut feel is Villa was far too big for them to want to go after. Derby may be big enough to set a huge example but small enough they feel they can go to battle against them if need be. At least I hope 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s not the new rules....but I doubt the EFL will apply them.

Asking for educating, but how is that so? The EFl and PL are separate regulatory authorities, it needs the PL to enforce... has that been agreed? 

18 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Asking for educating, but how is that so? The EFl and PL are separate regulatory authorities, it needs the PL to enforce... has that been agreed? 

The rules that Leicester, Bournemouth and QPR flouted, namely, got promoted and bypassed the sanctions they should’ve got, i.e.  penalised during the promotion season, not after....those rules have changed and the EFL new ask for predicted accounts in March so that they can punish clubs, potentially denying promotion (agreed with Prem League).

However it appears that possibly Derby, Villa, Wednesday, Reading, etc are finding loopholes, e.g. selling ground for a made-up value and then leasing it back.  Head over to the Championship FFP thread for a right old debate on it!

41 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Idk but gut feel is Villa was far too big for them to want to go after. Derby may be big enough to set a huge example but small enough they feel they can go to battle against them if need be. At least I hope 

I get what you are saying but no club should be exempt - if one is, they all are.

I think, as I have already said on this thread, we are now likely to see all of the Championship clubs thinking, well let’s go for it and forget FFP.

It is what I would do if I was an ambitious owner with access to funds, the rewards are so huge in getting to the PL and, they have effectively set a precedent by letting Villa off the hook.

If they threatened me with FFP I would take them to every court in the land - it would take years to resolve and cause chaos in the league.

But, I stick with my original point, I don’t understand why, at that meeting of the Championship clubs in March, called by Steve Gibson, the rest did not back him, there is something more at play here.

In support of that, if I was the owner of  Birmingham City, I would want to know why I got hit but others who allegedly breached more than me walked - it stinks.......there is more to come on this .

Closer to home, our position is a strange one, we were close to the play-offs and maybe, just maybe, a ‘small’ breach might have got us in to them. We played by the rules but narrowly missed out - why were we not supporting Steve Gibson back in March?

My guess and, it is only a guess, is that SL is keeping his powder dry -   made a big fuss over ’ Spygate’, but strangely quiet on FFP.

Could that be because he knows a chap that he might want to ‘support’ in their bid to become the CEO of the EFL.....mmmm

2 hours ago, Taz said:

This is why I hoped Villa wouldn’t go up. Without parachute payments they’d have had to live within their (relatively substantial) means, but they wouldn’t have found it as easy to get the type of players they were getting.

They did, so they’ll get away with it.  

Surly there should be a lot more “Swindon” cases, where teams promoted to the premier are then demoted to L1 due to financial misconduct. As soon as that happens to a team in the modern day, it will actually stop others doing it. 

Whats the point in only being “allowed” to cheat, if it works out with promotion..?! It’s ridiculous..! 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The rules that Leicester, Bournemouth and QPR flouted, namely, got promoted and bypassed the sanctions they should’ve got, i.e.  penalised during the promotion season, not after....those rules have changed and the EFL new ask for predicted accounts in March so that they can punish clubs, potentially denying promotion (agreed with Prem League).

However it appears that possibly Derby, Villa, Wednesday, Reading, etc are finding loopholes, e.g. selling ground for a made-up value and then leasing it back.  Head over to the Championship FFP thread for a right old debate on it!

So I guess is this is my point. If you’re Villa and found to have breached the rules, but have been invited into the EPL, what stops you saying to the EFl ‘haha, FU’ except re-entry further down the line... nothing, a la qpr I wager 

9 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

But, I stick with my original point, I don’t understand why, at that meeting of the Championship clubs in March, called by Steve Gibson, the rest did not back him, there is something more at play here.

In support of that, if I was the owner of  Birmingham City, I would want to know why I got hit but others who allegedly breached more than me walked - it stinks.......there is more to come on this .

100000% - I would be getting this all over the media and getting the EFL squirming and having to answer questions that need answering. It seems to me that any governing body will always just pick on who they feel are easy pickings.

Some posters are forgetting that it was a promotion bonus - £35k p/w is not the highest of wages in the Championship (it is extortionate for a non-playing squad member), Ross McCormack would not have caused financial meltdown on £35k p/w had they stayed down.

A Villa fan I was talking to at work thinks they will just release him, which begs the question - could they have released him earlier (on £35k p/w) or are they right releasing him after the promotion trigger (on £70k p/w)? Ironically, now they've been promoted, it's probably less damaging to release him now they've achieved promotion.

These are all big numbers but they've allegedly got the option to buy El Ghazi for £5m, suggesting they are being a little savvier with their business - I think even the giants of the championship are learning and the tide may well be turning.

Hopefully we'll see a few "nominal" transfers where the buying club just buys out the rest of the player's contract - was Cunningham to Preston done like this?

14 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Surly there should be a lot more “Swindon” cases, where teams promoted to the premier are then demoted to L1 due to financial misconduct. As soon as that happens to a team in the modern day, it will actually stop others doing it. 

Whats the point in only being “allowed” to cheat, if it works out with promotion..?! It’s ridiculous..! 

That only works when club is a similar size to Swindon, both Chelsea and Spurs were found guilty of similar offences after Swindon and both got away with a fine 

8 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Has been released by Villa

Club statement: Ross McCormack

JUNE 3, 2019

Aston Villa can confirm Ross McCormack is to leave the club after signing a variation agreement. 

The club would like to wish Ross well for the future.

Paid him off then presumably. Maybe he can afford to get his electric gates fixed now.

On 29/05/2019 at 18:13, BCFCGav said:

Wolves were, Aston Villa surely not.

@East End Old Boy

Wonder who will be the first to suggest him in the transfer forum! :whistle: Most players with a half decent pedigree do get suggested after all!

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wolves were, Aston Villa surely not.

@East End Old Boy

Wonder who will be the first to suggest him in the transfer forum! :whistle: Most players with a half decent pedigree do get suggested after all!

So how much did they pay him off with - £70k * 52???  Or a big percentage of that with clauses if he finds another club within that 12 months.

Archived