IGNORED

£77,000,000 in 3 years

Redwhitepurple

8 hours ago, Judda said:

And what have the Lansdowns ever done for us?

Apart from....

Hot air hand dryers, running hot water?

No? They must be next on the list!

Perhaps they could employ a hit man....... to score goals or, perhaps, a better one to dispose of rubbish posters.............. ?️‍♂️

I'll buck the trend and agree with you that, in terms of player purchases, we've not got a lot to show for it.

If football were a game of top trumps, I'd be pissed off, but the convenient fact that's been missed is that our position in the table has improved significantly in those three years. We've gone from looking like relegation contenders to outside shots for a playoff run. This is with careful purchases in certain parts of the squad, and despite losing first-team options.

The stadium was a necessary expenditure. Ashton Gate wasn't fit for purpose in the Championship, and while I would've preferred Ashton Vale and a fresh start, I think this is the second best option we could have hoped for, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the club expand the stadium further in the future.

Considering most of that is spent on players wages, i'd argue we've build a very good squad, with lots of options, with a ridiculous amount of youngsters coming through

Money well spent i'd say

• Admin
10 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Kodjia £15,000,000

Reid £10,000,000

Bryan £7,000,000

Magnússon £2,000,000

Flint £7,000,000

Kelly £13,000,000

Championship tv rights x3years @£7-8,000,000 =£21-24,000,000

Not alot to show for it!

Assume you realise how transfer fees are paid?

NOT all paid over one year, maybe two, three or more

Some of the numbers quoted are dependant on certain clauses, promotion, staying up, goals scored etc etc

Out of interest could you provide details on money we have spent over the same time period?

A ridiculous opening post...assume OP doesn't understand that fees are linked to underlying operating losses as opposed to go and spend willy nilly.

Could we have spent better in certain areas? Of course- but then again no club gets it all right, none. Could we have utilised certain players we did sign better? Again, see the prior answer.

26 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Ok the OP is getting a pasting here.

However, I think many of us would agree that we could strengthened the team in more important areas ie upfront and in midfield and things may have been even better.

Or we could have spent stupid money on a goalscorer who don't settle in and upsets the squad and may have made things worse. It isn't a case of just chucking money at players and we start scoring more and winning more games. It helps, but it just isn't that simple in reality.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Ok the OP is getting a pasting here.

However, I think many of us would agree that we could strengthened the team in more important areas ie upfront and in midfield and things may have been even better.

Yet we had our highest finish in the league for many years @Top Robin?

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

I'll buck the trend and agree with you that, in terms of player purchases, we've not got a lot to show for it.

If football were a game of top trumps, I'd be pissed off, but the convenient fact that's been missed is that our position in the table has improved significantly in those three years. We've gone from looking like relegation contenders to outside shots for a playoff run. This is with careful purchases in certain parts of the squad, and despite losing first-team options.

The stadium was a necessary expenditure. Ashton Gate wasn't fit for purpose in the Championship, and while I would've preferred Ashton Vale and a fresh start, I think this is the second best option we could have hoped for, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the club expand the stadium further in the future.

Apart from Webster O’Dowd brownhill Nikki...........

11 hours ago, Chappers said:

I really wonder about some of our fans, brilliant stadium, a constantly improving League position, our recruitment is paying dividends, established in the Championship, League Cup semi final, and STILL moaning. 

Amen Chappers, amen. 

Given the work the OP has put into his post perhaps he can confirm how much we've paid out in transfer fees, signing on fees etc.

Some of the players listed are pure (ish) profit but others have cost us money. Even Flint cost us because of the improved contracts we gave him.

The squad we had last season gave us the highest finish in years, but importantly Johnson, Ashton and Steve Lansdown want more. No we can't compete with other clubs in this league and we aren't in a position to turn down great offers for our best players. Maybe by the time the season starts we will have something to show for the prudence shown by the club. Either way I'm looking forward to next season with optimism tempered by a little caution.

12 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Kodjia £15,000,000

Reid £10,000,000

Bryan £7,000,000

Magnússon £2,000,000

Flint £7,000,000

Kelly £13,000,000

Championship tv rights x3years @£7-8,000,000 =£21-24,000,000

Not alot to show for it!

It can be argued that this type of money is what is required to even compete at the upper end of the Championship. Which is what we are doing.

3 hours ago, myol'man said:

Stupid thread started by OP...........but, looking at that photo, the Atyeo stand really lets the stadium down now.

Not really. It’s perfectly adequate as an away end. All seater, covered & holds 4K+

You think SL would be wise to spend £15-20million on a slight capacity increase, just for vanity..?

17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not really. It’s perfectly adequate as an away end. All seater, covered & holds 4K+

You think SL would be wise to spend £15-20million on a slight capacity increase, just for vanity..?

Yep

5 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Yep

So how long would it take for the money brought in through added capacity to pay off the development? Given we only fill the away end a couple of times a season as it is.

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Yep

I wouldn’t hold my breath. It’s simply not a priority. Especially given how limited the increase in capacity would be allowed to be. 

Until that changes and it could be a 7/8k capacity stand, I really can’t see much point in spending what it would cost. 

5 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Hot air hand dryers, running hot water?

No? They must be next on the list!

Perhaps they could employ a hit man....... to score goals or, perhaps, a better one to dispose of rubbish posters.............. ?️‍♂️

Doesn't matter if you don't piss on your hands...

24 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Our average attendance is 21k

Which is 77% of the ground. He'll wait until its at least 90%

No he won’t he’ll wait until after phase two (the shopping hotel and indoor arena) is built then do it regardless 

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Yet we had our highest finish in the league for many years @Top Robin?

You're absolutely right Phantom...the team is perfect and doent need any improvement. Dropping out the play off spots was just a bit of bad luck. Lets stick with what we have and things will be fine. 

5 hours ago, wood_red said:

Or we could have spent stupid money on a goalscorer who don't settle in and upsets the squad and may have made things worse. It isn't a case of just chucking money at players and we start scoring more and winning more games. It helps, but it just isn't that simple in reality.

Bizarre 

Don't forget also the LOAN players. These do not come Free. Not only wages (30K ? Kalas) per week but also an 'up front' fee. I remember reading that Wilshire's loan at Bournemouth cost the same as a transfer fee, also Tammy Abrahams loan at Swansea and Villa were running into millions. I doubt if we got Tammy for peanuts. Diony and Kent would'nt have come cheap either. Did'nt we have to 'compensate'Liverpool for Not playing him ? according to the Evil Post.

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

You're absolutely right Phantom...the team is perfect and doent need any improvement. Dropping out the play off spots was just a bit of bad luck. Lets stick with what we have and things will be fine. 

Can you point out where Johnson and lansdown have said they are happy with what we got and happy to be just outside the play-offs?

everywhere I look and read they talk about improvement and trying to be sustainable while improving which is what is happening

or would you be happy if we did a charlton Sunderland portsmouth Leeds Ipswich and the countless others who put short term gains against long term future and found themselves in the right shit

like it or lump it we are doing it the right way by slowly improving the infrastructure first then invest in younger more sellable assets  

Dear @Redwhitepurple

Before posting this, did you actually consider how many clubs have performed better than us and what is the 'norm' for Championship clubs? The following table has been taken from a transfer site and considers the net transfer spend of clubs over the past 5 seasons:

image.thumb.png.e0fbd3163a95801cef3511ffa20ec3c0.png

What is more impressive is that it fails to consider the sale of Kelly, so another £13m can be added to that. It puts us in 20th place and we're behind Swansea, who sold Sigurdsson for £50m which makes up the whole of their surplus. In addition, Hull have been offloading assets as they look to survive without parachute payments and Norwich have done very well, partly due to the sale of Maddison to Leicester for £25m. Ourselves and Brentford are two clubs who have made significant progress on and off the field whilst receiving more than we have spent in terms of transfer fees. So thank you @Redwhitepurple for bringing this to my attention. 

I appreciate this list isn't 100% accurate but I am not trawling for the accounts of each club for the past five years! 

Source: https://www.transferleague.co.uk/championship-teams-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/championship-last-five-season

Archived