IGNORED

Jon Lansdown now Chairman (Merged)

Johnny Musicworks

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

The last 3/4 years shows how important continuity is to the club's progression, whether it be the overall long term plans put on place by SL, the development and success of the academy, strategy regarding player recruitment and also sticking with LJ when it would have been easier to sack him.

JL's appointment as chairmen might be just be symbolic while SL remains hands on in control of the club, but it also might just be the first sign of continuity as far as the Lansdown family ownership and running of the club. Perhaps SL sees this as the way of Jon gaining the experience so that increasingly he (SL) will make more decisions with Jon's recommendation to the point that SL decides he can hand over the reigns fully when he is ready to take a step back. 

I hope he's up to the task mate, as I haven't seen too much evidence so far. Continuity is fine provided there is continuity in quality, not just lineage.

To be fair to Jon he has been very active supporting the Community initiatives, holiday schemes for the kids etc which I’m sure has been part of his learning to get to know the entire club not just the football team. As a board member for a few years now I am happy for someone that understands the club and it’s supporters to be leading us forward.

He, LJ and MA have worked together long enough now to have hopefully forged a great team. I am hoping that just as LJ is seen as a pioneering and innovative young coach Jon will bring similar qualities to his new role.

Keith Dawe has been a great servant of the club but has clearly not been seen as a figurehead, possibly by choice. SL has always been the figurehead and is often mistakenly identified as the Chairman in the press. I have a feeling Jon will now assume much of his fathers public role and will be very much leading from the front.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

To be fair to Jon he has been very active supporting the Community initiatives, holiday schemes for the kids etc which I’m sure has been part of his learning to get to know the entire club not just the football team. As a board member for a few years now I am happy for someone that understands the club and it’s supporters to be leading us forward.

He, LJ and MA have worked together long enough now to have hopefully forged a great team. I am hoping that just as LJ is seen as a pioneering and innovative young coach Jon will bring similar qualities to his new role.

Keith Dawe has been a great servant of the club but has clearly not been seen as a figurehead, possibly by choice. SL has always been the figurehead and is often mistakenly identified as the Chairman in the press. I have a feeling Jon will now assume much of his fathers public role and will be very much leading from the front.

So the unthinkable happens and SL isn't around anymore and you are satisfied that Jon is competent and committed to maintain the progress of the club (and presumably every other element of Bristol Sport ) ?

In operational terms there doesn't appear to be any succession plan whatsoever, as the notion of Mark Ashton effectively running the show as CEO without anyone looking over his shoulder fills me with dread.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

So the unthinkable happens and SL isn't around anymore and you are satisfied that Jon is competent and committed to maintain the progress of the club (and presumably every other element of Bristol Sport ) ?

In operational terms there doesn't appear to be any succession plan whatsoever, as the notion of Mark Ashton effectively running the show as CEO without anyone looking over his shoulder fills me with dread.

Absolutely but more importantly by far is I believe today is SL demonstrating that he is confident in Jon and happy for him to take over. 

To be fair, I taught my son everything I could and I guess that Steve would have done the same with Jon.

The thing is that my son took all I taught him and built on it making him much cleverer than me, so I hope the same will go for Jon.

Whether he is good for theclub remains to be seen, but with his dad's money and the fact that he is a true fan must have a pretty good chance of a positive outcome.

Come on Jon, make your presence felt with promotion to the top flight.

30 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I presume that when SL "isn't around anymore" his shareholding in the club will likely pass to Jon, at which point he would have the final say in all decisions anyway.

It might just be, that in advance of that occurring, appointing Jon as chairman is part of the succession planning so that he can gain valuable experience of running the club, with Dad's help and guidance, ready for the day when he takes the reigns himself.

39 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd be interested to know if this means Dawe is selling his shares in the club as he is the only other significant shareholder in the club. If he is then SL will pretty much own 100% of the club (I think he already owns around 97% of it)

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/club-information/company-details/

Not sure how up to date that is..

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I presume that when SL "isn't around anymore" his shareholding in the club will likely pass to Jon, at which point he would have the final say in all decisions anyway.

It might just be, that in advance of that occurring, appointing Jon as chairman is part of the succession planning so that he can gain valuable experience of running the club, with Dad's help and guidance, ready for the day when he takes the reigns himself.

I hope so, like I said before I haven't seen much evidence of a person mature enough to take on the role of being the chairman of what is now a pretty big business in an extremely volatile industry that's all.

I would do exactly the same with my son if in SL's position, but whether that's the best thing for the club remains to be seen.

32 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The fanzone section of the website is a bit of a neglected corner atm. The "Away Days" section hasn't been updated since the end of last season, on the "Bristol Sport Insurance" page there's a picture of Reid. The Accounts linked are for 2017 rather than those made up to May 2018. You're right to be doubtful.

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

The last 3/4 years shows how important continuity is to the club's progression, whether it be the overall long term plans put on place by SL, the development and success of the academy, strategy regarding player recruitment and also sticking with LJ when it would have been easier to sack him.

JL's appointment as chairmen might be just be symbolic while SL remains hands on in control of the club, but it also might just be the first sign of continuity as far as the Lansdown family ownership and running of the club. Perhaps SL sees this as the way of Jon gaining the experience so that increasingly he (SL) will make more decisions with Jon's recommendation to the point that SL decides he can hand over the reigns fully when he is ready to take a step back. 

Jon Lansdowns role there has been minimal. The work to get Cat 2 etc was very much down to Amy Kington along with the formation of the Community trust.

Amy departing has been a loss. 

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

My first thought was is this the right appointment? Is he too young? Does he have the experience? My next thought was who is better - he has been groomed for this position for the last 3/4 years the people close clearly think he is up to it (there's more than just money on the line if he cocks this up and SL wouldn't want to put him in that position) I cant think of anyone better.

I got sympathy for the theory that the most skilled people should run the future independent of their parents wealth. Meaning each generation should start from scratch independent of their parents good/poor luck. Efforts needed to pick up the gems starved to death by structures cheating common wealth.

1 hour ago, I'm Brian said:

Cut off access to the trust fund?

Haha so let me get this right your adult son with your grandchildren doesn't do as you say in a job I would imagine he has appointed him to do so you take take away his future.

They don't live the same lives as most of us, most of us need money to live the only thing they need is time to do the things they want and I imagine what SL wants most is to spend time with the people he loves and support causes he cares about, I would imagine he wants his son to make his own mistake and take ownership of fixing them and for his son to feel supported in the decisions he wants to make.

14 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Nice to see Jon Lansdown, not unexpectedly taking over as Chairman. It feels like a natural progression for a club on the up.

Cool - at least this might stop our ‘knowledgable’ fans discussing SL as our ‘Chairman’ on here - the lack of awareness was just embarrassing... he is our owner ...

Archived