IGNORED

Captain

Red 90

Who would you like to see as captain next season? IMO ever since Carey left, we've really lacked a leading figure in our team. 

I'd like to see the armband given to Webster next season, possibly even Kalas if he does sign.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Red 90 said:

Who would you like to see as captain next season? IMO ever since Carey left, we've really lacked a leading figure in our team. 

I'd like to see the armband given to Webster next season, possibly even Kalas if he does sign.

@Red 90 a good idea would be to wait and see who is in our squad first !

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’m sure LJ knows them better than any of us. Best leave it to him, I’d say. 

Pretty sure a forum is to give your own opinion? If we don't question anything LJ or the club doe's then then maybe it's worth shutting the forum down!

7 minutes ago, Red 90 said:

Pretty sure a forum is to give your own opinion? If we don't question anything LJ or the club doe's then then maybe it's worth shutting the forum down!

Yes it is, I agree. But we don’t know the players like LJ does. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes it is, I agree. But we don’t know the players like LJ does. 

So if that's the case, then no one should ever come on here to suggest who should start a game, or give their opinion on a substitution that was made etc as LJ knows his players best.

1 minute ago, Red 90 said:

So if that's the case, then no one should ever come on here to suggest who should start a game, or give their opinion on a substitution that was made etc as LJ knows his players best.

People can see their view of a player and performance, or the tactics of a game as it plays out. 

I doubt too many know the personality & character of each member of the squad, which is required when picking a captain. , 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

People can see their view of a player and performance, or the tactics of a game as it plays out. 

I doubt too many know the personality & character of each member of the squad, which is required when picking a captain. , 

Ummm.. you don't see them train all week, know their mental state or fitness levels. So your comment holds no more weight than my post as just like me, you can only judge what you see on the pitch. 

It's a fans forum to give opinions based on what we see. However, for someone who clearly spends a lot of time posting on here, you don't seem to understand that concept.

51 minutes ago, Red 90 said:

We might sign a real leader who can take on the captaincy from day one.

I don't really see any of our current players as captains. Either they don't have that quality, or they aren't automatic first teamers in my view.

5 minutes ago, Red 90 said:

Ummm.. you don't see them train all week, know their mental state or fitness levels. So your comment holds no more weight than my post as just like me, you can only judge what you see on the pitch. 

It's a fans forum to give opinions based on what we see. However, for someone who clearly spends a lot of time posting on here, you don't seem to understand that concept.

No, that’s why I don’t tend to criticise a line up before a game. We don’t know what’s gone on behind the scenes to explain a team selection. 

I don’t know who’d have the best traits to make captain either. LJ does. 

57 minutes ago, Red 90 said:

GJ didn’t believe Carey was a true leader and bemoaned the fact that he didn’t have a Chris Morgan type who led by example. 

Unless someone steps up and wants it I don’t see us changing from Pack most weeks and Bailey Wright when he plays. While Webster and Kalas (if he signs) are good shouts, do we know if they’d want it Flint didn’t 

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

GJ didn’t believe Carey was a true leader and bemoaned the fact that he didn’t have a Chris Morgan type who led by example. 

Unless someone steps up and wants it I don’t see us changing from Pack most weeks and Bailey Wright when he plays. While Webster and Kalas (if he signs) are good shouts, do we know if they’d want it Flint didn’t 

That's a good point. They may not want it but if they did they are the only players i'd like to see as captain. That would be my preference but bringing in a good leader may be an option the club is looking into.

Does captaincy matter so much?

Surely a leader, will lead regardless. 

I think what we need is serious experience. I'd love for us to sign a Hartley/Elliott type player again. 

Edit: Look how well Sheffield United got on this season & the average age of their squad!

Keep Bailey as club captain, you're on the pitch 90/180 mins a week, compared to how long they spend on the training ground? Very much seems like the lads like him as a leader, would have been replaced if not. With Flint we showed you don't need leaders wearing an arm band to be a leader on the pitch. 

Has zero importance imo. Never understood the obsession in this country with who is captain. You need a number of leaders in a team to all be communicating for 90 minutes.

22 minutes ago, Red 90 said:

@Bar BS3 Ok, so unless I know the complete ins and outs of every situation regarding a player then I can't comment. Got it ?

You can comment all you like. Fill your boots. I just don’t see the point in discussing who should be captain when we don’t know the ins & out of the players’ character.

As others have said, you want leaders all over the pitch. The captaincy is fairly irrelevant anyway. 

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Has zero importance imo. Never understood the obsession in this country with who is captain. You need a number of leaders in a team to all be communicating for 90 minutes.

Exactly this in most other countries a captain is someone who picks up the trophy at the end of the year! If you can’t play football without somebody captaining you should you really be playing football! 

In my experience from playing for over 20 years, it's not essential but it does make a difference.

You do also need other players to step up and be leaders, however your captain can be very influential within a squad and some times the less likely leaders look to for inspiration on the pitch when you really need to dig deep.

They are also a key middle man for the officials and management.

5 hours ago, Red 90 said:

Who would I like to see as Captain?

Easy - Messi. Does a great job as the Barca captain. Would be a natural replacement for Patterson on the shape we play. Getting on a bit admittedly, but probably got a couple more years in him at this level.

3 hours ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Exactly this in most other countries a captain is someone who picks up the trophy at the end of the year! If you can’t play football without somebody captaining you should you really be playing football! 

Actually, in some countries and some clubs the captaincy is given to the most senior professional at the club. I suppose in our case that makes it Marlon Pack (signed August 2013). 

4 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Does captaincy matter so much?

Surely a leader, will lead regardless. 

I think what we need is serious experience. I'd love for us to sign a Hartley/Elliott type player again. 

Edit: Look how well Sheffield United got on this season & the average age of their squad!

Couldn't think of two less comparable midfielders. Someone who knows what he is going to do before he receives it & another that we don't know what he's going to do when he receives it! Loved Marvin in his first season, but not comparable to Hartley in any way shape or form. But I get what you mean about experience, personally want quality first & foremost. Quality experience would be great, but won't come cheap! COYR 

1 minute ago, Simon79 said:

Couldn't think of two less comparable midfielders. Someone who knows what he is going to do before he receives it & another that we don't know what he's going to do when he receives it! Loved Marvin in his first season, but not comparable to Hartley in any way shape or form. But I get what you mean about experience, personally want quality first & foremost. Quality experience would be great, but won't come cheap! COYR 

Doh, you meant Wade! Spot on, totally agree! I'll shut up now! COYR 

Archived