IGNORED

Tony Thorpe

'Orns

Currently out of work and spending some quality time with my young son, but time to start getting some feelers out there, so been getting the CV out to see what is going on

Yesterday morning I had a missed call from a Leicester number and a message from Tony at ATA Recruitment to give him a call. Never heard of them before, so googled them and they had a useful 'meet the team' page on their website. Tony looks very much like the Tony Thorpe. So give him a call back, little chat about the situation then I ask the question, and it's the man himself

Great guy and remembers his time here with great affection. Also described his spell at Swindon as his worst time in the game! Had a follow up conversation this afternoon and another little chat. Still good mates with Scott Murray and Louis Carey and gets down a couple of times a season. I said that he's remembered fondly by the fans, suspect the winner against the Blue Few in the Christmas game helps, and the lightning quick opening day hat trick at Northampton are the highlights

Anyway, ex player so of no interest to some (keep the comments to yourself if so ?) but thought I'd mention it to anyone else who remembers him in the same way I do

If he gets me the dream job then he'll be even more of a legend in my eyes!

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Currently out of work and spending some quality time with my young son, but time to start getting some feelers out there, so been getting the CV out to see what is going on

Yesterday morning I had a missed call from a Leicester number and a message from Tony at ATA Recruitment to give him a call. Never heard of them before, so googled them and they had a useful 'meet the team' page on their website. Tony looks very much like the Tony Thorpe. So give him a call back, little chat about the situation then I ask the question, and it's the man himself

Great guy and remembers his time here with great affection. Also described his spell at Swindon as his worst time in the game! Had a follow up conversation this afternoon and another little chat. Still good mates with Scott Murray and Louis Carey and gets down a couple of times a season. I said that he's remembered fondly by the fans, suspect the winner against the Blue Few in the Christmas game helps, and the lightning quick opening day hat trick at Northampton are the highlights

Anyway, ex player so of no interest to some (keep the comments to yourself if so ?) but thought I'd mention it to anyone else who remembers him in the same way I do

Remember Thorpe well! Scored the first City goal I ever saw live so will always be a legend in my eyes.

29 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

What did you do previously Woodsy and what are you looking for? People have found jobs from contacts on here before.

36 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Time is democratic. There is no thing as quality time. Total bullshit.

The ? in original post. That was for the likes of you

23 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

What did you do previously Woodsy and what are you looking for? People have found jobs from contacts on here before.

Worth a throw, Ska! Operations Manager, general Supply Chain background mainly in FMCG ?

21 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

He was in our box last year for the Cardiff game. He said he was working as a football scout, so clearly BS'ing :laugh:.

Maybe he does some on the side, or was doing that before he turned his hand to recruitment. Sure he has no reason to lie about it!

6 minutes ago, WWred said:

Never forget his most important goal for the club... the last minute equaliser at home to Kingstonian in the FA Cup! Scenes!

That was the one I was on about! I was 5, on someone's shoulders and ended up about halfway down the Atyeo. Kids bounce luckily.

City spent more in the summer of 1998 than ever before. Forwards Ade Akinbiyi came from Gillingham for £1.2 million, Tony Thorpe from Fulham for £1 million and Danish International Soren Anderson was secured for £700,000.  During 1999/2000, Tony Thorpe was loaned to Luton where he teamed up with Adam Locke who had moved there under the Bosman ruling.  Tony Thorpe played for Luton on Boxing Day and against them two days later in the last game of the century, a goal less draw watched by nearly 12,000 at Ashton Gate. The following season Tony scored his 100th goal in a 4-0 win over Notts Co. The opening fixture of 2001/02 was at Northampton. Thorpe scored a hat trick in the first 26 minutes of the season and City won 3-0. During the summer of 2002 Tony Thorpe went on a free transfer to Luton

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

City spent more in the summer of 1998 than ever before. Forwards Ade Akinbiyi came from Gillingham for £1.2 million, Tony Thorpe from Fulham for £1 million and Danish International Soren Anderson was secured for £700,000.  During 1999/2000, Tony Thorpe was loaned to Luton where he teamed up with Adam Locke who had moved there under the Bosman ruling.  Tony Thorpe played for Luton on Boxing Day and against them two days later in the last game of the century, a goal less draw watched by nearly 12,000 at Ashton Gate. The following season Tony scored his 100th goal in a 4-0 win over Notts Co. The opening fixture of 2001/02 was at Northampton. Thorpe scored a hat trick in the first 26 minutes of the season and City won 3-0. During the summer of 2002 Tony Thorpe went on a free transfer to Luton

If we can keep the current back four Thorpe and Akinbyi would be a blinder 

3 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Last kick of the game equaliser at home to Kingstonian after coming on as sub sticks in my mind.

And he was around the time they used to play music after goals. Unfortunately, they stuck it on once when the ball hadn't actually gone in. :laugh:

26 minutes ago, 22A said:

Thorpe played for Luton on Boxing Day and against them two days later in the last game of the century, a goal less draw watched by nearly 12,000 at Ashton Gate.

I remember him missing a pen in front of the Atyeo in a 0-0 might’ve been this game. 

Anyway, a good player for City and sounds like still a good character with some ties to the club. 

Archived