IGNORED

Tony Thorpe

'Orns

One of the most overrated players of recent times. Good striker but nowhere near as good as a lot of people said at the time.  Much more likely to score the third in a 3-0 win than a crucial winner. 

Didn’t score important goals often. Obviously he had a lot of attributes though. We’ve had a lot worse over the years!

4 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Currently out of work and spending some quality time with my young son, but time to start getting some feelers out there, so been getting the CV out to see what is going on

Yesterday morning I had a missed call from a Leicester number and a message from Tony at ATA Recruitment to give him a call. Never heard of them before, so googled them and they had a useful 'meet the team' page on their website. Tony looks very much like the Tony Thorpe. So give him a call back, little chat about the situation then I ask the question, and it's the man himself

Great guy and remembers his time here with great affection. Also described his spell at Swindon as his worst time in the game! Had a follow up conversation this afternoon and another little chat. Still good mates with Scott Murray and Louis Carey and gets down a couple of times a season. I said that he's remembered fondly by the fans, suspect the winner against the Blue Few in the Christmas game helps, and the lightning quick opening day hat trick at Northampton are the highlights

Anyway, ex player so of no interest to some (keep the comments to yourself if so ?) but thought I'd mention it to anyone else who remembers him in the same way I do

If he gets me the dream job then he'll be even more of a legend in my eyes!

Very instinctive striker, great finisher. He was at the gate near the end of the season sat in the Lansdown. A bit of a silver fox now. COYR 

TT was often seen in Nailsea where several City players lived. Used to drink in the Sawyers Arms along with several other City players.

I got along with him fine but several other regulars found him an obnoxious oaf, particularly with a few pints on board.

Nice to see he’s found a career after football tho.

12 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I remember him getting a lot of abuse when he returned to AG with Luton. Was there some controversy with the way he left us? Can't recall.

Returned to a side just promoted from L2 into L1  when he could have stayed with us and may have been the difference between 3rd and 2nd in 2002/03 and even 2003/04. I think it was a bad move for both us and Thorpe.

1 hour ago, WiltshireReds said:

Returned to a side just promoted from L2 into L1  when he could have stayed with us and may have been the difference between 3rd and 2nd in 2002/03 and even 2003/04. I think it was a bad move for both us and Thorpe.

Seems like a bizarre move in hindsight, and yep with the form Scotty was in the following season, Thorpe's goals could have made the difference!

It's funny how I have such fond memories.of that team.. Thorpe, Tins, Scotty, Bell, Tommy Doc, Christian Roberts.. yet in reality they achieved very little (Murray aside)

3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I remember him getting a lot of abuse when he returned to AG with Luton. Was there some controversy with the way he left us? Can't recall.

I think he'd made it clear a few months before his deal expired that he had no intention of signing a new one and left for nothing.

17 hours ago, southstandred said:

Loved Tony Thorpe, very intelligent player, an instinctive finisher who would have bagged a hatful in today’s squad. 

It’s another one of those questions ‘how longs a piece string’ but a player like Thorpe today’s value, 20M perhaps?  A goal poacher with quick feet. His style reminds me a bit like Dwight Gayle  

Good striker. In a way his City career was quite strange - from what I remember he couldn’t really get a run in the side in that first season because of the form of Akindiyi and Soren. Then the following season Pulis didn’t seem to rate him. It was only when Pulis left (praise the lord!) he started to get more regular game time and after that went from strength to strength before making the slightly odd decision to go back to Luton. Didn’t he also have a spell at QPR at one point?

That header against the fewers (what a goal) and the hat-trick at Northampton are my standout Thorpe memories. 

33 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

It’s another one of those questions ‘how longs a piece string’ but a player like Thorpe today’s value, 20M perhaps?  A goal poacher with quick feet. 

He certainly was a top poacher. Scored over 50 goals for City. 

He was a poor mans version of Jimmy Greaves. Hardly noticed for 87 mins then popping up with the winner.....

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

TT was often seen in Nailsea where several City players lived. Used to drink in the Sawyers Arms along with several other City players.

I got along with him fine but several other regulars found him an obnoxious oaf, particularly with a few pints on board.

Nice to see he’s found a career after football tho.

Decent League one striker, but had an over-inflated ego at the time.

Hopefully he's grown up.

On 31/05/2019 at 17:50, Westcountry Robins said:

I remember him missing a pen in front of the Atyeo in a 0-0 might’ve been this game. 

Oxford at home, April 2001, if memory serves me corectly. We were hanging outside the play-offs all season, and ultimately finished 9th. Missing last minute penalties at home obviously does not help.

We finished 9th and 7th in the third tier under Wilson, then Thorpe left. Had he stayed we would surely have got promoted in one of the next two seasons, as in both we were in serious contention for automatic, but lost in the play offs both times. He did very little after leaving us, so perhaps should have stayed. Certainly in the 2003/4 season when we had a rock solid defence (Carey Butler Coles Hill) and were so close to getting automatic and the play off final defeat to Brighton, someone like Thorpe, instead of the ineffective Lee Miller, the out of form Lee Peacock (0 goals in a run of 20 games), and the erratic Christian Roberts, would surely have taken us over the line............................

Archived