IGNORED

Champions League Final - Views

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

Funnily enough I was talking to someone last night and she asked who I support and when I said City she said  "oh ok and which big team do you support?"

When did this actually become a thing this assumption by plastics that everyone `supports` a big team and it`s impossible to just support the club you`ve always done? I presume when football started in 1992 as I never remember being asked the question before that.

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Bristol City and the Community team are working very hard to "spread the Robins gospel" among young Bristolians. I saw a stat recently that our home attendance's regularly include around 30% of young people. Can anyone else confirm this?

Much of the Community work will be under the radar and it's not a quick fix, but we are trying to change things.

Okay, fair do, I'll button my lip ?

10 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Clever bit of play by Mane, he saw his arm was out so deliberately kicked it at his arm. 

You wait till next season when the new rulings actually come in, it’s going to become farcical. 

Another new law next season is, if a goalkeeper receives the ball from a throw in ( obviously his own teams) or a back pass and mis-controls the ball, he is then allowed to use his hands!. How the fudge is a referee going to be able to judge if a keeper mis -controls the ball on purpose or if it’s a genuine mistake. 

4 hours ago, weepywall said:

Funnily enough I was talking to someone last night and she asked who I support and when I said City she said  "oh ok and which big team do you support?"

Recently a young lad at my work actually laughed when I told him I was a City fan, he pronounced proudly he supported Liverpool. I asked him why and has he ever been to Liverpool. He wouldn’t answer!!. A couple minutes later I asked him his thoughts on Bill Shankly, he looked at me questionably and said, who the f@@k is he?

There are numerous others in my place of work who profess to support Prem teams, 99% of them have never watched a live game, let alone watched ‘their’ team play. 

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

My landlord is from Trinidad and his brother came over to stay, I don't think he quite understood that I didn't have a prem team. Surely you support a team in the premier league…why ever not? I did try to explain.:city:

Hopefully in the not to distant future we will have a PL team we support and they won't be 200 miles away.

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I must have missed that bit then.......

Think about it...........

I’ll give you an example - when Man Utd won the European Cup back in the 60s the next day at school there were suddenly numerous Man Utd ‘fans’. Most of them had no idea where Manchester was let alone had been there.......:disapointed2se:.They all wanted to be associated a successful club and I’ve disliked Man Utd ever since.

These days with so much football exposure kids like to ‘support’ a ‘big’ club and why you see so many PL clubs shirts all around. Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd ect, ect. Most of them have ever seen their club live either at home or away.

As I said, it’s human nature.

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think the sooner people get used to the idea that people from a certain city don't always support that city's team, the better

Especially as these days Bristol is much more cosmopolitan, with incomers from all over the country, many of whom will bring with them existing club allegiances.

I’m watching the Liverpool bus parade thing on LiverpoolTV, laughing at the number of smoke flares thing that the Liverpool players have been holding as they are going around. These things are banned in the grounds yet there are plenty being used by fans and players today. 

19 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Especially as these days Bristol is much more cosmopolitan, with incomers from all over the country, many of whom will bring with them existing club allegiances.

Exactly. And it works both ways - you often see foreign students attending City games while they're studying here.

16 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Exactly. And it works both ways - you often see foreign students attending City games while they're studying here.

Back in the day when I was a boy pretty well everyone at school and  all my friends were either City or Rovers.

Living in Downend and going to Sodbury GS a lot of them were Rovers ( sadly) but pretty well all were Bristolians, borne and bred.

I have Bristolian friends who are fellow Liverpool fans and it has never really bothered me. Saves on petrol when we go up for a match. I left Liverpool when I was 3 so I'm not much better than them. 

Nothing beats living close to the team you support though it's one thing I envy about most City fans.

6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Recently a young lad at my work actually laughed when I told him I was a City fan, he pronounced proudly he supported Liverpool. I asked him why and has he ever been to Liverpool. He wouldn’t answer!!. A couple minutes later I asked him his thoughts on Bill Shankly, he looked at me questionably and said, who the f@@k is he?

There are numerous others in my place of work who profess to support Prem teams, 99% of them have never watched a live game, let alone watched ‘their’ team play. 

In the West Indies house in Bridgwater last night mate with my mate from Leeds who could not believe the sheer amount of men With Liverpool and spurs shirts on. 99 % would of never seen them play absolutely sickening.....

but I do think city are doing there best with the £50 season ticket with children’s shirt 

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

Yes but judging by my local as a percentage of those in attendance supporting Liverpool and going mental there must be about 100,000 scousers in Bristol. the vast majority are just glory hunters, strange though I don't see many Manchester City shirts or fans so maybe it's a Pill thing I find it all a bit strange though.   

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

Think about it...........

I’ll give you an example - when Man Utd won the European Cup back in the 60s the next day at school there were suddenly numerous Man Utd ‘fans’. Most of them had no idea where Manchester was let alone had been there.......:disapointed2se:.They all wanted to be associated a successful club and I’ve disliked Man Utd ever since.

These days with so much football exposure kids like to ‘support’ a ‘big’ club and why you see so many PL clubs shirts all around. Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd ect, ect. Most of them have ever seen their club live either at home or away.

As I said, it’s human nature.

Luckily there are around 30k in our area (if you count the Fewers) who don’t partake in this human nature lark and experience the REAL emotion of following your local football team.

If human nature is being “associated” with success, as you put it, from a distance rather than actually being there and “contributing” to it then I’m happy to dip out!!!!!

I also think that we are making big strides forward in bucking that trend a bit with the pricing structure for kids over the last few seasons. There are plenty of kids my sons age (17) for example who started out supporting (loosely) prem teams and now regularly go to the Gate as it’s an afternoon out, a laugh etc. and they get the real kicks that football provides.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Luckily there are around 30k in our area (if you count the Fewers) who don’t partake in this human nature lark and experience the REAL emotion of following your local football team.

If human nature is being “associated” with success, as you put it, from a distance rather than actually being there and “contributing” to it then I’m happy to dip out!!!!!

I also think that we are making big strides forward in bucking that trend a bit with the pricing structure for kids over the last few seasons. There are plenty of kids my sons age (17) for example who started out supporting (loosely) prem teams and now regularly go to the Gate as it’s an afternoon out, a laugh etc. and they get the real kicks that football provides.

As I've said on here before, what's local about a team with no Bristolians, managed by a bloke who isn't Bristolian either? We did have a Bristolian but we just sold him! 

15 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think the sooner people get used to the idea that people from a certain city don't always support that city's team, the better

You are 100% correct & I get this argument.

That said, I take issue with people born and bred in this city, with zero family ties to the 'big clubs' that choose to support these Prem Teams of whom they have zero affiliation.

An example: I have a friend who lives on Smyth Road, literally a 1 min walk around the corner from Ashton Gate. Proper Bristolian born and raised, accent and all. His family have been in the City seemingly for generations, all working in what was Will's tobacco.

He 'supports' Man Utd. When I ask why, he has no response except he enjoyed watching them on the tele in the 90s and during the treble. He has the kits and a bit of memorabilia in his room, but only been to Old Trafford maybe twice in his entire life. Yet around the corner from his house in his local club whom all his friends and many of his family support.

This I find completely baffling and can't understand why. And he's not the only one, I know a handful of others who are the same - just change the club to Liverpool or Man City.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If human nature is being “associated” with success, as you put it

I was in Tesco about an hour ago and saw a young lad, about 8 with his mum wearing a Man City shirt........kinda supports my ‘association’ theory.

I’ll bet at school his mates asked him who he ‘supports’  he’ll say Man City. If he said ‘Bristol City’ then they’d all laugh and take the piss............

8 minutes ago, Undy English said:

You are 100% correct & I get this argument.

That said, I take issue with people born and bred in this city, with zero family ties to the 'big clubs' that choose to support these Prem Teams of whom they have zero affiliation.

An example: I have a friend who lives on Smyth Road, literally a 1 min walk around the corner from Ashton Gate. Proper Bristolian born and raised, accent and all. His family have been in the City seemingly for generations, all working in what was Will's tobacco.

He 'supports' Man Utd. When I ask why, he has no response except he enjoyed watching them on the tele in the 90s and during the treble. He has the kits and a bit of memorabilia in his room, but only been to Old Trafford maybe twice in his entire life. Yet around the corner from his house in his local club whom all his friends and many of his family support.

This I find completely baffling and can't understand why. And he's not the only one, I know a handful of others who are the same - just change the club to Liverpool or Man City.

There always has been an element of "big club" support from people with no affiliation with that club's location, however I do think this increased hugely during the 90s.

The advent of the premier league and wall to wall coverage through SKY, made top flight football accessible to millions. At the same time I think we were starting to see the growth of brand awareness generally, so kids had to wear the right brand of boots, trainers and sports gear otherwise they would be seen as naff by their mates. Big football clubs were increasingly being marketed as brands to help sell merchandise and bring in even more revenue,  and being associated with the right football club brand took on a similar importance as wearing the right gear.

Even before the premier league, Man United had probably the biggest " brand " awareness of all the English clubs - ever since the Munich disaster they had been media darlings and I think many people's second club - their success through the premier league years accelerated this, as a the biggest impact on a club's brand awareness is that they are a successful, winning team.

I remember coming back to Bristol to go to the Cardiff play off final over a decade ago. Looking at sports shops in town and at the Mall the only football shirts on sale were the big clubs with not a City shirt in sight, despite being on the eve of the club's biggest game for some time.  

On a similar, but different basis, when we were on our winning run earlier this year and in the play off places, I was reading some of the papers on a Monday while having coffee. Looking through the football pages there were in depth reports for every premier league game, but try as I might I could see not a mention of City's result, but I could find reports on the Villa game, even though they were then languishing well down the table, as were Swansea, whose game also got a write up - both ex-premier league clubs of course.

In today's football world, as far as many fans and the media are concerned, if your not in, or have been, in the premier league, then you don't really exist.

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

As I've said on here before, what's local about a team with no Bristolians, managed by a bloke who isn't Bristolian either? We did have a Bristolian but we just sold him! 

In that case there isn’t a local team in the country before Tier 8 and if we bucked the trend and filled the team with Bristolians managed by Lewis Carey and started getting tanked every week you would be the first on here moaning about it?.

At a time when we have 21k in the ground every week including plenty of young un’s and have given the likes of Bryan, Reid and Kelly the platform to go and earn stupid money in the Premiership with the likelihood of more to follow if they are good enough perhaps you should be more positive?

Archived