IGNORED

The Keith Dawe Farewell thread

reddogkev

I don't know a lot about Keith Dawe, truth be told, so thought a thread about him might be a good idea.

This is taken from the City home page:

Dawe first invested in Bristol City in 1996, at the same time as Steve Lansdown, and has been chairman of the football club since May 2012.

During his seven-year tenure, the Bristol-based businessman has been influential in the club’s successes, both on and off the field. 

“It has been a privilege and an honour to be involved with Bristol City,” said Dawe.

Does anyone on here have any experiences or further information about the now former chairman of our club?

Thanks for all your work and investment, Keith.

I know Keith, not particularly well, but well enough to say that he will be sorely missed at the club.  He worked tirelessly behind the scenes for the club in lots of areas but particularly as a sounding board for SL.  His sense of humour is brilliant and he hates pomp and ceremony, preferring the 'normal' down to earth chat and banter.  His humility allowed him never to seek praise, he just got on with things and when you consider his business responsibilities (RGS) and the amount of charity work he and his sons do, its outstanding what he has done for our club.  

I raise a glass to you Sir.  Top man ?

24 minutes ago, The Major said:

I know Keith, not particularly well, but well enough to say that he will be sorely missed at the club.  He worked tirelessly behind the scenes for the club in lots of areas but particularly as a sounding board for SL.  His sense of humour is brilliant and he hates pomp and ceremony, preferring the 'normal' down to earth chat and banter.  His humility allowed him never to seek praise, he just got on with things and when you consider his business responsibilities (RGS) and the amount of charity work he and his sons do, its outstanding what he has done for our club.  

I raise a glass to you Sir.  Top man ?

Hadn’t he been quite ill for a while a few years back.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't know a lot about Keith Dawe, truth be told, so thought a thread about him might be a good idea.

This is taken from the City home page:

Dawe first invested in Bristol City in 1996, at the same time as Steve Lansdown, and has been chairman of the football club since May 2012.

During his seven-year tenure, the Bristol-based businessman has been influential in the club’s successes, both on and off the field. 

“It has been a privilege and an honour to be involved with Bristol City,” said Dawe.

Does anyone on here have any experiences or further information about the now former chairman of our club?

Thanks for all your work and investment, Keith.

I knew Keith back in the 80s and 90s. He owned Sanderson, the Bristol based IT recruitment company (which has since spawned several other recruitment companies, notably RSG - Resource Solutions Group which has also been a shirt sponsor for us) and I, on behalf of my employer, was a major customer of his. We spent far more time talking football than business but we always got on very well.

Keith always loved football and I is a lifelong Spurs supporter who got involved with City as a sponsor and, over time became more and more involved.  He’d often invite me to be his guest at a match but I invariably declined, favouring my regular seat in the Dolman.

Once I moved companies, towards the end of the nineties, we lost contact. I did bump into him once before the first home match at the start of our first Championship season, following promotion and we had a good chat together during which he gave me some insight into Cotts, whom he was instrumental in bringing to the club. He made his usual kind invitation to join him as his guest at a future match but, as always, I politely declined, bought my cider and pasty then headed to the Dolman and I’ve not seen him since. 

Keith’s a good bloke who has invested a lot of money, time and effort into City, always acting in our best interests. Thanks Keith!

(No doubt he’ll be watching avidly the fortunes of Spurs tonight so I hope he enjoys it - regardless of  the result!)

5 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I know someone who worked very high up in the club during LJs 9 game losing run a couple of years ago, and KD, as Chairman was instrumental in steadfastly backing him , and his opinion mattered greatly to SL, who followed suit. 

Did you ever come across him during your time on the turnstiles? ?

Below are some of my favourite Keith Dawe quotes, made to galvanise the supporter during some of our challenging runs, on relegation and of course, promotion.

Thanks Keith, I really feel like we connected when you were in the Chair.

12 hours ago, basshead said:

Won a chairman's  experience  package a few years back .played and beat gillingham  that day .me and my brother struggled  to get away from the bar after .came across  a really  nice bloke 

Yes Mart a really genuine bloke came across as one of us a real city man never took any credit for things he done for our club thanks a lot keith.

On 02/06/2019 at 09:12, Bristol Rob said:

Below are some of my favourite Keith Dawe quotes, made to galvanise the supporter during some of our challenging runs, on relegation and of course, promotion.

Thanks Keith, I really feel like we connected when you were in the Chair.

That must have took you a long time to think of such a witty offering ??

Goodbye to Keith, our trusted "Chair." 

We had joy, we had fun; we had League One on the run,

But the joy didn't last, cos the bastards tried to renegotiate the done deals Cotts had done wiv Harry Maguire and Andre Grey before he went off on his summer holiday/ never backed him.

Allegedly. Please do not "discuss."

Wishing Keith the very best of health, and enough years at least to see City reach the top and/or Spurs to win something. 

8 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Goodbye to Keith, our trusted "Chair." 

We had joy, we had fun; we had League One on the run,

But the joy didn't last, cos the bastards tried to renegotiate the done deals Cotts had done wiv Harry Maguire and Andre Grey before he went off on his summer holiday/ never backed him.

Allegedly. Please do not "discuss."

Wishing Keith the very best of health, and enough years at least to see City reach the top and/or Spurs to win something. 

Believe Pelling was the culprit...allegedly.

Anyone got a picture of Keith when he was younger than the white-haired pic we always see of him? Wondering if being at the City for 23 years turns your hair white (obviously fans who've supported longer than that, myself included, can prove that but wondered if working there made you look different).

Yes, I'm looking for a picture of early Dawes. Don't mention it.

11 hours ago, Huntstile Red said:

Anyone got a picture of Keith when he was younger than the white-haired pic we always see of him? Wondering if being at the City for 23 years turns your hair white (obviously fans who've supported longer than that, myself included, can prove that but wondered if working there made you look different).

Yes, I'm looking for a picture of early Dawes. Don't mention it.

I've heard stories that he was born with a full, glorious head of long white hair.

Archived