IGNORED

Mo Eisa signed for Peterborough (Merged)

WAHGS.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We ended up making a profit 

Yes, recently reported by Jon Palmer (journo who is pretty reliable) that it was £1m (£800k up front, £200k this summer).

From an FFP perspective we will have amortised £333k, so if they’ve broken their record, then probably a fee in the region of £1.5m, so £833k transfer profit in 2019/20’s accounts already.  Wonder if the deal was specifically 01.06 to fall into this year’s accounts?

Are you discounting a Cheltenham sell on percentage? 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not sure we’d all be so worried if he had signed for a L1 club other than Posh. That’s the problematic part.

Not really because we know they’ll likely sell him for 10x what they paid us for him so we’ll profit still further without any further effort.

What’s not to like?!

14 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

As another poster said before he did have a look in, every day in training for a year. Obviously couldn't make the step up which is a bit worrying we are scouting shit players 

I would rather think of it as quality control. He scored 1in 2 for Cheltenham and that alone is good enough to give him a go. Football is a dynamic this happens, and we made on him, hope he goes on to be a good signing, well you know he will it's Posh.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Are you discounting a Cheltenham sell on percentage? 

Don’t know if there was one?  If so, £20% (say) of £1.5m - £1.0m = £100k?

Also, this interview is pretty insightful from Darragh MacAnthony.  He’s grown on me a fair bit over the last year.  Worth a watch.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

He adds so much more to our game than just running. 

He's a good finisher with brilliant movement and has plenty of experience. 

Personally I'd be more than happy to see him starting for us next season

His movement is so good that he times his runs to absolute perfection, that’s why he’s had so many goals disallowed this season because even the linesman doesn’t think he could’ve timed it that well.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Also, this interview is pretty insightful from Darragh MacAnthony.  He’s grown on me a fair bit over the last year.  Worth a watch.

I would be amazed if there wasn’t one from Cheltenham’s perspective, although I suppose we could have gone in with a cash up front offer that was high enough for us to deny them one? 

As you say it would probably only be 20% or so of any profit and I would imagine his wages for the year were at the lower end of our scale, so still quids in. :)

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Horseshit

what about the players who are in the team currently, all would of been scouted by our shit system

with out our shot scouting system we wouldn’t of got the 15 million for kodja and the rumoured 10 million coming our way for o’dowda

Kojda was years ago now (under cotts leadership), we once signed Andy Cole let's add him to the list. 

Anyone paying 10 million for Callum Odowda needs a straight jacket.

We've bought a fair amount of crap, I think it's fair to discuss that. 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought I was watching a Mark Ashton interview then.

Good deal for us and I suspect we retained a interest in him, ie a sell on or even a buy back clause.

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Kojda was years ago now (under cotts leadership), we once signed Andy Cole let's add him to the list. 

Anyone paying 10 million for Callum Odowda needs a straight jacket.

We've bought a fair amount of crap, I think it's fair to discuss that. 

OK let’s discuss it. If you are going to operate a  moneyball type of recruitment system it is likely to be hit and miss. People who say that we could have taken all the money paid for the “failures” and spent it on 1 or 2 quality players are missing out some of the facts. 

Those players come with signing on fees, high wages and have to be persuaded to sign for us, rather than multiple big teams vying for their signature. They are likely to be more established and be at the top of their value on signing.

The players in the moneyball market are going to be hoping we will be a stepping stone to better things, unlikely to command top money and as with Eisa, be more likely to make us some money even if they move on.

Of course there will be Engvalls, but there are failures in the other market as well, we could have been saddled with Ross McCormack for example.

The problem generally is that in both markets you are dealing with human beings, not robots so there are huge variables in the process.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Least he can get on with his career. Pointless signing.

Not really. Took a punt, didn't quite work out but we developed him and looks like we at least broke even or made profit. And if he goes on to do well after dropping back down we'll undoubtedly have a good sell on. What's not to like?

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Agree. Report is they’ve smashed their record! Must surely be £1.5M +

Agree with this. We surely would have been saying, we paid x amount and he is now a better player as we have developed him so he is now worth x amount. Wouldn't be surprised if it was around 2m.

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Spotted this on the P'Boro site from Darren Ferguson, didn't have to say it so nice to hear.

“I want to thank Lee Johnson and everyone at Bristol City because this has been going on for a little while and they have conducted themselves superbly throughout the process.

Unlike MacAnthony who makes sure that the whole world knows which clubs are interested in his players and what they are prepared to pay . 

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Kodja too  on the inherited cash cow list . Tomlin we certainly did not break even on, and someone been massaging the numbers if Eisa is 500k profit. Not a hope, but good damage limitation. 

Why ?

Peterborough record fee was 1.25m and their chairman say they've broken that record.

City paid 800k for Eisa with another 200k due in the summer (not sure if that is now payable).

500k profit is quite believable imo.

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Kodja too  on the inherited cash cow list . Tomlin we certainly did not break even on, and someone been massaging the numbers if Eisa is 500k profit. Not a hope, but good damage limitation. 

I was under the impression that we had recovered most if not all of the Tomlin fee? 

As for Eisa, it’s Peterborough that are using the term “smashed” when discussing their transfer record, that might be good PR, but as a club that make a big deal of buying cheap and selling at a premium, it don’t think they would be inflating Eisa’s value. 

I guess terminology is subjective but I would go with the following as a guideline

Beaten = 5-10% more 

Broken = 10-20%

Smashed = 20-50%

Rewritten = 50% and above

:)

10 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Making a profit in a business where debt is the norm is not damage limitation it’s a standard of excellence. It should be applauded not derided. 

Given his signing on fee, agents fee and wages, employment costs etc, I expect there is a loss unless we get a sell on fee. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not sure we’d all be so worried if he had signed for a L1 club other than Posh. That’s the problematic part.

Exactly. My first thoughts were great we got our money back, thought we paid a million for him too. And we would be paying a wage for a season too, so not a huge profit but not a loss which I expected.

Then I thought, hang on, weren’t Posh trying to sign him when we did? They got a great record of spotting talent as you suggest, so what do they see that we didn’t/couldn’t? No doubt in 12 months time they will be selling him to Bournemouth for £10m or something. 

Mixed feelings about this one. Personally I would have bought him and loaned him to Posh last season, and then see where we were.

24 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Given his signing on fee, agents fee and wages, employment costs etc, I expect there is a loss unless we get a sell on fee. 

You may be grasping at straws there I think. Is it so hard to accept that our club has just done a decent bit of business.and just say well done ?

We can all find times where we have made a loss but our transfer trading over the last 12 months has been absolutely outstanding. Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson should take due credit whether it’s selling players on that they brought in  to the club or improving the value of players brought in before their tenure. 

3 hours ago, Dredd said:

Better to recoup most of the money given the chance now than lose even more by not playing the kid ala Engvall. LJ said we are looking for Premier League ready footballers, I guess he didn’t see that in him. Probably best for all parties. Good luck to him. 

He didn't play.

Archived