IGNORED

Showing your hand early

Edge1981

OK, so I am making this post off of the back of selling Kelly and Eisa. I’m sure we are likely to sell others (O’Dowda, Taylor and possibly even a Brownhill and Webster). 

But, why are we announcing player sales prior to bringing players in? Surely when buying players we would be in a better/stronger position having not sold anyone or at least announcing what we have sold them for? We could then go to buy players saying “we haven’t got the funds to buy your player as we haven’t got the money” and thus negotiate a cheaper price? Surely when we go in to buy a player for a club the chairman will up the price accordingly, knowing we have the money from the Kelly and Eisa sales available?

So is it that...

A) the buying clubs insist on announcing their purchase as soon as the deal is done and we can’t delay the announcing it?

B) we have players lined up prior to sales do not worried with banding the figures around? 

C) we don’t care as we will be only pay what we think a player is worth regardless

or

D) something I haven’t thought of...

Simply that the transfer market doesn't work in a nice, convenient, sequence. Sometimes negotiations, whether for sales or buys, are done quickly, other times they take a while.

Not everything can be controlled. Simple factors like people being on holiday will affect things even.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Simply that the transfer market doesn't work in a nice, convenient, sequence. Sometimes negotiations, whether for sales or buys, are done quickly, other times they take a while.

Not everything can be controlled. Simple factors like people being on holiday will affect things even.

What letter is that ffs?

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But do we have to announce sales straight away? Would it not be in our best interests to delay the announcement until after we have signed a replacement player? 

If I was a selling club, I’d add a few million on players worthy simply knowing that city were interested regardless of the players value.

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Rather than being like dominos the transfer market is more like a spider's web.

I just wish someone at the club would use this analogy.

2 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

But do we have to announce sales straight away? Would it not be in our best interests to delay the announcement until after we have signed a replacement player? 

If I was a selling club, I’d add a few million on players worthy simply knowing that city were interested regardless of the players value.

I'm not sure how you would keep a deal secret for what could be weeks. Too many people involved.

11 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Yep I am certain the local journos and press would be more than happy to say nothing.......sorry but your suggestion is not viable.  Anyhow i really don't think it matters very much in the scheme of things.

48 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

OK, so I am making this post off of the back of selling Kelly and Eisa. I’m sure we are likely to sell others (O’Dowda, Taylor and possibly even a Brownhill and Webster). 

But, why are we announcing player sales prior to bringing players in? Surely when buying players we would be in a better/stronger position having not sold anyone or at least announcing what we have sold them for? We could then go to buy players saying “we haven’t got the funds to buy your player as we haven’t got the money” and thus negotiate a cheaper price? Surely when we go in to buy a player for a club the chairman will up the price accordingly, knowing we have the money from the Kelly and Eisa sales available?

So is it that...

A) the buying clubs insist on announcing their purchase as soon as the deal is done and we can’t delay the announcing it?

B) we have players lined up prior to sales do not worried with banding the figures around? 

C) we don’t care as we will be only pay what we think a player is worth regardless

or

That'll be E)

52 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

So is it that...

or

Z) you don’t understand how transfers in and out actually work.

27 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Rather than being like dominos the transfer market is more like a spider's web.

I just wish someone at the club would use this analogy.

I think you will find that is  arachnology!  :)

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Z) you don’t understand how transfers in and out actually work.

Surely that is Z  Z  Z Z   Z Z)

1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

So is it that...

or

Thats possible the craziest thing I've seen suggested on here!

So Peterborough have just bought Eisa for a record transfer fee, one which their chairman said he wanted to make a statement of intent to League 1, but you suggest we tell Peterborough to keep the whole transfer quiet until we've signed a replacement? What if we don't get one until January? Do Posh have to hide him and not play him until then?

What about the player we buy as a replacement for Eisa? What if the club we buy the replacement from demands us to keep the transfer quiet until they make a replacement? No-one would ever actually reveal a signing!

56 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Why do you always make these type of replies to threads?

Why do you always try to belittle the person starting a topic? 

Why do you post on a forum? 

A) because he thinks he’s superior to the average poster on OTIB  

b) because he thinks he’s superior to the average poster on OTIB  

c) because he thinks he’s superior to the average poster on OTIB  

d) because he thinks he’s superior to the average poster on OTIB  

e) all of the above

???

34 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

And you do? 

Of course he does, he's always been the self proclaimed forum 'sage'.

Or he used to be, until he drove a load of gasheads to Wembley, when he dropped the 'e' to become the forum 'sag.' 

Oh, and who could doubt the impeccable and superior knowledge about how transfers work of anyone so fixated with Mark Ashton that they call him MR. C H A R I S M A? :dunno:

6 hours ago, Nibor said:

D) How could the club possibly keep anything secret in a world full of agents and media?

I do have a soft spot for the old days of scouring Ceefax for transfer news when I got in from work.

And that moment of excitement when you picked up a WDP in the morning and the back page story was that we`d signed someone.

8 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

So is it that...

or

I think by and large undisclosed fees are announced for the reason of not showing our hand. I do feel however, given our final position last season, the fact we sold Reid, Flint, Bryan et al most clubs assume we have money to spend anyway. That coupled with Johnson signing a new deal again I feel any selling club would assume a newly contracted manager would have funds at his disposal. As most have stated a player is only worth what a club is willing to pay, regardless of that selling club knowing what kind of money a buying club has in its kitty from player outgoings. 

Archived