Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Edge1981

Showing your hand early

OK, so I am making this post off of the back of selling Kelly and Eisa. I’m sure we are likely to sell others (O’Dowda, Taylor and possibly even a Brownhill and Webster). 

But, why are we announcing player sales prior to bringing players in? Surely when buying players we would be in a better/stronger position having not sold anyone or at least announcing what we have sold them for? We could then go to buy players saying “we haven’t got the funds to buy your player as we haven’t got the money” and thus negotiate a cheaper price? Surely when we go in to buy a player for a club the chairman will up the price accordingly, knowing we have the money from the Kelly and Eisa sales available?

So is it that...

A) the buying clubs insist on announcing their purchase as soon as the deal is done and we can’t delay the announcing it?

B) we have players lined up prior to sales do not worried with banding the figures around? 

C) we don’t care as we will be only pay what we think a player is worth regardless

or

D) something I haven’t thought of...

8 minutes ago, miser said:

D

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

D

I can see how this thread is heading, thanks 

• Haha 1

Simply that the transfer market doesn't work in a nice, convenient, sequence. Sometimes negotiations, whether for sales or buys, are done quickly, other times they take a while.

Not everything can be controlled. Simple factors like people being on holiday will affect things even.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Simply that the transfer market doesn't work in a nice, convenient, sequence. Sometimes negotiations, whether for sales or buys, are done quickly, other times they take a while.

Not everything can be controlled. Simple factors like people being on holiday will affect things even.

What letter is that ffs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But do we have to announce sales straight away? Would it not be in our best interests to delay the announcement until after we have signed a replacement player? 

If I was a selling club, I’d add a few million on players worthy simply knowing that city were interested regardless of the players value.

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

What letter is that ffs?

Many of the 26 available but in a variety of combinations. No half measures.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Rather than being like dominos the transfer market is more like a spider's web.

I just wish someone at the club would use this analogy.

Edited by JamesBCFC
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

But do we have to announce sales straight away? Would it not be in our best interests to delay the announcement until after we have signed a replacement player? 

If I was a selling club, I’d add a few million on players worthy simply knowing that city were interested regardless of the players value.

I'm not sure how you would keep a deal secret for what could be weeks. Too many people involved.

5 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

But are you?

29 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

OK, so I am making this post off of the back of selling Kelly and Eisa. I’m sure we are likely to sell others (O’Dowda, Taylor and possibly even a Brownhill and Webster). 

But, why are we announcing player sales prior to bringing players in? Surely when buying players we would be in a better/stronger position having not sold anyone or at least announcing what we have sold them for? We could then go to buy players saying “we haven’t got the funds to buy your player as we haven’t got the money” and thus negotiate a cheaper price? Surely when we go in to buy a player for a club the chairman will up the price accordingly, knowing we have the money from the Kelly and Eisa sales available?

So is it that...

A) the buying clubs insist on announcing their purchase as soon as the deal is done and we can’t delay the announcing it?

B) we have players lined up prior to sales do not worried with banding the figures around? 

C) we don’t care as we will be only pay what we think a player is worth regardless

or

E) nobody cares

• Confused 1
  • Aubergine 2

7 minutes ago, Lucan said:

E) nobody cares

Why do you always make these type of replies to threads?

Why do you always try to belittle the person starting a topic? 

Why do you post on a forum? 

Edited by Edge1981
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Yep I am certain the local journos and press would be more than happy to say nothing.......sorry but your suggestion is not viable.  Anyhow i really don't think it matters very much in the scheme of things.

48 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

So is it that...

or

That'll be E)

52 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

So is it that...

or

Z) you don’t understand how transfers in and out actually work.

• Aubergine 1

27 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Rather than being like dominos the transfer market is more like a spider's web.

I just wish someone at the club would use this analogy.

I think you will find that is  arachnology!  :)

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Z) you don’t understand how transfers in and out actually work.

Surely that is Z  Z  Z Z   Z Z)

Edited by downendcity
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

So is it that...

or

Thats possible the craziest thing I've seen suggested on here!

So Peterborough have just bought Eisa for a record transfer fee, one which their chairman said he wanted to make a statement of intent to League 1, but you suggest we tell Peterborough to keep the whole transfer quiet until we've signed a replacement? What if we don't get one until January? Do Posh have to hide him and not play him until then?

What about the player we buy as a replacement for Eisa? What if the club we buy the replacement from demands us to keep the transfer quiet until they make a replacement? No-one would ever actually reveal a signing!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

A) because he thinks he’s superior to the average poster on OTIB  

b) because he thinks he’s superior to the average poster on OTIB  

c) because he thinks he’s superior to the average poster on OTIB  

d) because he thinks he’s superior to the average poster on OTIB  

e) all of the above

😂😂😂

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

And you do? 

Of course he does, he's always been the self proclaimed forum 'sage'.

Or he used to be, until he drove a load of gasheads to Wembley, when he dropped the 'e' to become the forum 'sag.' 

Oh, and who could doubt the impeccable and superior knowledge about how transfers work of anyone so fixated with Mark Ashton that they call him MR. C H A R I S M A? :dunno:

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

And you do? 

I have a much greater grasp on transfers than you do...............:cool2:

6 hours ago, Nibor said:

D) How could the club possibly keep anything secret in a world full of agents and media?

I do have a soft spot for the old days of scouring Ceefax for transfer news when I got in from work.

And that moment of excitement when you picked up a WDP in the morning and the back page story was that we`d signed someone.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

So is it that...

or

I think by and large undisclosed fees are announced for the reason of not showing our hand. I do feel however, given our final position last season, the fact we sold Reid, Flint, Bryan et al most clubs assume we have money to spend anyway. That coupled with Johnson signing a new deal again I feel any selling club would assume a newly contracted manager would have funds at his disposal. As most have stated a player is only worth what a club is willing to pay, regardless of that selling club knowing what kind of money a buying club has in its kitty from player outgoings. 

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Care to explain?

I think it would be really good for everyone to understand exactly how the transfer market works in detail. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

Care to explain?

I think it would be really good for everyone to understand exactly how the transfer market works in detail. 

I said ‘grasp’ not detail......

B.  LJ and MA will already have lined up potential targets. Some of the work will have been done in securing those targets most of whom are off on their hols at present.

Things will start moving in earnest after June 30th when most players contracts expire and everyone is back to work.

As to fees rising because we have money, we have proved in the past that we wont be held to ransom and pay over the odds.

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I said ‘grasp’ not detail......

What’s your grasp on how the transfer market works? I came here to learn please teach me 

10 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

There’s no point not announcing someone’s gone especially as the 2 players that have gone have been announced by the other clubs!

we might have fees agreed with other clubs already, plus other clubs know that we got money and that we have a set budget and are reasonably good at sticking to it!

Clubs signing players will of course want to announce it, they will want to sell more season tickets, make a statement of intent and use their activity in the transfer market to encourage more players to join them.

As for City showing their hand early.... we have sold a lot of players the last couple of years, we lose millions every year and we have a billionaire owner who has his hands tied by FFP.

Don't think we would ever be expected to pay over the odds for a player, should we meet the valuation a club put on them.

I think that clubs' understandings of the finances of other clubs will be slightly more nuanced than just seeing the transfer fee they sold their last player for. 

I'd imagine there's quite a lot more that goes in to negotiation than that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

So is it that...

or

Maybe the quality of player we are after currently earns more money and can afford a longer holiday. 

So is it that...

or

Mate you know how it is,

” These things take time”

No need to bite when Lucan makes a wind up comment. After all he hasn’t seen us since he left his clothes on a beach somewhere in November 1974. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

B.  LJ and MA will already have lined up potential targets. Some of the work will have been done in securing those targets most of whom are off on their hols at present.

Things will start moving in earnest after June 30th when most players contracts expire and everyone is back to work.

As to fees rising because we have money, we have proved in the past that we wont be held to ransom and pay over the odds.

I would be amazed if the ground work hasn’t already been done on potential signings and I dare say there are and have been negotiations going on already with clubs, players &  their agents

Whilst the club will have a budget, Mark Ashton appears to be very good at ensuring that budget is not breeched

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Although you jest, you are also serious when you say this, I imagine. You've never heard of the 'Illusion of Explanatory Depth' bias, have you?

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Although you jest, you are also serious when you say this, I imagine. You've never heard of the 'Illusion of Explanatory Depth' bias, have you?

Wasn’t on the official website.......