Harsh on switzerland been the better team

Yep...but they have Ronaldo

1 minute ago, Unan said:

Fair play to Ronaldo he always turns up for internationals 

He does indeed.

Fair play.

157 caps and 88 goals.

1 hour ago, Porto Red said:

Yes with the €120m release clause. First time I've seen him too. Hasn't justified the hype yet but it's only one glorified friendly I suppose.

He's been a sensational player for Benfica - the most complete young player I've seen since Ronaldo and I've lived through other second comings. He's two footed, good in the air, can pick a pass playing outside the box, and has a ridiculous shot for his size. 

Today was hard for him, he normally plays a bit deeper for Benfica with a bit of space and time, Portugal are a more defensive team and he was playing further forward so he was more isolated and having to do  the physical work for Ronaldo's freedom. I never normally get carried away but on the football I've seen before today he is the real deal, long term top 5 in world material.

Today was a poor game although it always amazes me a Premier League club hasn't signed William, he is consistently one of our most reliable and tidiest players. He's old now but a lot more effective than the two highly rated midfielders around him. Would love to see him at the base of our midfield, he's a Korey Smith built like a tank that no one can get off the ball.

6 hours ago, North London Red said:

Decent evening in Porto. 

698AE00E-3C90-488D-843D-52AD37C017DA.jpeg

You must have almost been in with the Swiss fans, judging by your position? I thought it was a decent atmosphere from both sets of supporters for what is a new competition. I'm normally not a fan of the artificial stuff but the sound system at the Dragao  which is proper loud, really helps get people going too, makes the Dolman sound like an ant trying to stifle a fart.

Not quite sure estadio DAH tomorrow (well, later today) has the same potential, shame for a fixture between two well supported countries that it couldn't also have been played at the Dragao. Talking to some England Supporters Travel Club members tonight, they are convinced there will be trouble in Guimaraes - oddly somewhere in Portuguese football it always goes off.

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Pen given to Portugal. Pulled back for VAR check at other end and pen given to Switzerland.

Mental scenes 

Not as mental as my gaff where I had money on Ronaldo to score from outside the box and Portugal to score a penalty ( 66/1 since you ask....)

38 minutes ago, Gary Nanes said:

Can anyone advise if AG will show the nations league final Sunday? TIA.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

Not sure, but they have advertised the England Women's game that kicks off at 5pm, which slots in between the the third place playoff and the final. Seems odd that they'd show this game but not the Nations League, but equally strange that they wouldn't advertise it if they were showing the games :dunno:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/watch-the-womens-world-cup-at-ashton-gate/

4 hours ago, Olé said:

You must have almost been in with the Swiss fans, judging by your position? I thought it was a decent atmosphere from both sets of supporters for what is a new competition. I'm normally not a fan of the artificial stuff but the sound system at the Dragao  which is proper loud, really helps get people going too, makes the Dolman sound like an ant trying to stifle a fart.

Not quite sure estadio DAH tomorrow (well, later today) has the same potential, shame for a fixture between two well supported countries that it couldn't also have been played at the Dragao. Talking to some England Supporters Travel Club members tonight, they are convinced there will be trouble in Guimaraes - oddly somewhere in Portuguese football it always goes off.

Yes, there were Swiss fans directly in front and to the left. The area I was in seemed to be a mix of nationalities - there were 4 England fans in the row behind and an American family of 4 next to me, as well as a few locals. I only bought the ticket late on Tuesday night - UEFA were still selling them for all four games. 

The atmosphere was decent. First visit to the Dragao; in Euro 2004 the furthest north we got was Coimbra, for England v Switzerland. 

I’m hoping today is the only visit to Guimaraes on this trip. The thought of the third place game there v Switzerland on Sunday isn’t too appealing - as much as I’ve heard it’s a nice place, spending the whole day in Porto would be better. The final on Sunday will be a great occasion given Portugal’s win last night. 

Fingers crossed for tonight. 

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• England have won only two of their past 14 matches against the Netherlands (D7 L5) and are looking to win consecutively against them for the first time since November 1946 under Walter Winterbottom.
  • The Netherlands have only just one of their five competitive matches against England (W2, D2), although that defeat came in their last such match at Euro 96 when England won 4-1.
  • Gareth Southgate is looking to become the first England manager to win more than once against the Netherlands in all competitions.

England

• England are unbeaten in seven matches (W6 D1), winning the last five in a row. The Three Lions last won six consecutive games back in March 2015 under Roy Hodgson (7).
  • England have scored five goals in each of their past two matches, beating the Czech Republic (5-0) and Montenegro (5-1); they last netted 5+ goals in three consecutive games between November 1960 and May 1961.
  • Harry Kane has been directly involved in 34% of the 59 goals scored by England under Southgate (17 goals, three assists); a higher share than any of his team-mates.
  • After netting just two goals in his first 45 games for England, Raheem Sterling has since scored six goals in his last four appearances for the Three Lions. Sterling, who is set to make his 50th appearance in this match, has scored with six of his last seven shots on target for England.

Netherlands

• The Netherlands lost their last game 3-2 against Germany. They have not suffered consecutive competitive defeats since September 2015 under manager Danny Blind.
  • The Netherlands have won just one of their previous nine matches played in Portugal (W1 D4 L4), beating Latvia at Euro 2004 (3-0) under Dick Advocaat.
  • Dutch forward Memphis Depay has had a hand in 21 goals in his last 20 games in all.

8 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Seen something about it on Twitter from the Telegraph sports writer, any more info you've seen?

Weather out here has disintegrated last few hours, that's the problem with summer rain in Portugal there isn't much of it but when it comes it's like the end of days, a country where it rains so rarely needs to send the lot in about two hours once a month ?

With that said local games normally go ahead out here even in torrential rain, so this could be more a UEFA thing. 

Archived